Rumor: Capitals interested in Claude Giroux.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Does Protas and a first move the needle enough?

Would need Philly to retain 50%, and take a UFA like Kempny.

So you want us to retain and take back salary and all you're offering is Protas + late 1st?

I mean, i'd laugh at that offer..but Fletcher is extremely bad at his job so who knows lol

Last edited:

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
There's no one of interest to trade for on Hershey. Protas, maybe.
Leason and Alexeyev are also playing in Hershey. Alexeyev should be attractive to lots of teams. Big dman with a big shot who is very good in his own end. Also have Tobias Geisser as a big defensive minded defenseman who has increased his stock in the organization the past two years. Lucas Johansen’s career was derailed the past three years due to injuries but he’s another former 1st rounder who has had a very solid year. Defense is definitely Washington’s strong suit prospect wise.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Would be hilarious if Mantha goes back the other way in a Giroux+ deal

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Speaking as a mantha fan, I don't even know that a giroux deal would require that +.
Fair. I just figured if the Caps were going for a D-man and a goalie that Mantha+ for Giroux+ would be where that gets going.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don’t believe Washington would be targeting a defenseman. Their lineup is pretty solid. Schultz is the only piece I’d assume that would be moved but that’s more for salary cap purposes and he’s on an expiring contract. Irwin has actually been serviceable when called upon as a #7. They have depth in the AHL who could step in and take on third pair minutes. That’s the only are I’d say they don’t necessarily need to touch unless Schultz’s cap hit needs to be moved.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Speculation is that Giroux returns 2 "A" assets at minimum. So Protas isn't enough of a + on top of a 1st.
Speculation is what it is, reality is something else. I don’t see any Pure Rental returning two A assets.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
He can play the right side of the PP, although that reduce his effectiveness compared to his usual position.

Not going to happen on the PP1. He's not displacing Kuzy or Backy so he'd be relegated to PP2 which still has the turret but a decided step down in talent everywhere else.

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
I would love to see Giroux in a Caps Sweater
I am guessing that if the Caps were to trade for him, they would talk to his agent and make sure he would be willing re-sign with them in the off- season I would happily give them Mantha, and a 23 1st rd pick +

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I would love to see Giroux in a Caps Sweater
I am guessing that if the Caps were to trade for him, they would talk to his agent and make sure he would be willing re-sign with them in the off- season I would happily give them Mantha, and a 23 1st rd pick +
Claude Giroux is 34. How long are you planning on signing him? This is a great way to fast-track the Capitals into the current Hawks or Sharks, no thanks. Giroux is too old to be a piece an already old team adds looking to the future. He’s likely too expensive as a Pure Rental. Want no part.

Reactions: swansonsays

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Why? The Caps are delusional if they’re paying out assets to acquire veterans at the deadline. There is no way they’re competing with the top teams in this league anymore. The wheels will fall of before then. Arguably already are.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
The conversation begins and presumably ends with lapierre. I think g could put the caps in a different category but with Thier farm as it is I don't think they have the assets to make another push

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why? The Caps are delusional if they’re paying out assets to acquire veterans at the deadline. There is no way they’re competing with the top teams in this league anymore. The wheels will fall of before then. Arguably already are.

The Caps will still be a playoff team this year, and they’re already committed to winning now by the way they structured the team and with the current contracts on the books.

The Caps may not be a top tier contender like they were a few years ago, but the management already pushed their chips on the table.

Reactions: Curufinwe

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Reasons why the Caps could make sense for Giroux, even though they are not a top tier contender:

1) He's not going to get any closer to his home in Philly than D.C. He has a young child now. It's a plus.
2) Laviolette loves him and I think the feeling is mutual.
3) We'll see what happens over the summer, but he doesn't quite seem to have his heart in the idea of ending his time as a Flyer. He seems to have really wanted to play his whole career in Philly and may just be looking to re-sign in the summer after a dice roll playoff run somewhere else. I don't know how much the destination ultimately matters, is the point.

Why it could make sense for the Flyers:

1) A Caps' first round pick is the most attractive single piece that's likely to be offered by anyone.

As a Flyers fan whose favorite player has been Giroux since he broke into the league, I don't know quite what to wish for anymore. That he goes to a competent organization and wins a Stanley Cup, and then re-signs there and wins one or two more? Or has a run somewhere else but then re-signs with this bullshit team out of a misplaced sense of loyalty, but at least I get to see him back in Philly.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Claude Giroux is 34. How long are you planning on signing him? This is a great way to fast-track the Capitals into the current Hawks or Sharks, no thanks. Giroux is too old to be a piece an already old team adds looking to the future. He’s likely too expensive as a Pure Rental. Want no part.

Uhh have you seen the Backstrom contract?? Talk about bad. Giroux doesn’t look his age at all. I’m certain he’ll age better than Backstrom

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Reasons why the Caps could make sense for Giroux, even though they are not a top tier contender:

1) He's not going to get any closer to his home in Philly than D.C. He has a young child now. It's a plus.
2) Laviolette loves him and I think the feeling is mutual.
3) We'll see what happens over the summer, but he doesn't quite seem to have his heart in the idea of ending his time as a Flyer. He seems to have really wanted to play his whole career in Philly and may just be looking to re-sign in the summer after a dice roll playoff run somewhere else. I don't know how much the destination ultimately matters, is the point.

Why it could make sense for the Flyers:

1) A Caps' first round pick is the most attractive single piece that's likely to be offered by anyone.

As a Flyers fan whose favorite player has been Giroux since he broke into the league, I don't know quite what to wish for anymore. That he goes to a competent organization and wins a Stanley Cup, and then re-signs there and wins one or two more? Or has a run somewhere else but then re-signs with this bullshit team out of a misplaced sense of loyalty, but at least I get to see him back in Philly.

I’ll add a reason for the Caps: You have Ovi on your team. Until he’s done you should be doing everything you can to be as competitive as possible imo. Giving up picks and prospects are completely worth it for that.

Just a personal opinion

Reactions: pman25

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I mean, the Caps are a good team and Giroux would make them that much better. Just because they're not a favourite doesn't mean they wouldn't have a puncher's chance if they added Giroux.

I can't believe I'm a Pens fan trying to convince a Caps fan of the Caps legitimacy.

I'm right there with you. People are acting like the Caps are a .500 team. Unfortunately they are not.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I’ll add a reason for the Caps: You have Ovi on your team. Until he’s done you should be doing everything you can to be as competitive as possible imo. Giving up picks and prospects are completely worth it for that.

Just a personal opinion
Yeah I thought that point was obvious as well. Just like Pens are always buyers as long as they have Crosby.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps had a big Incomplete for most of the season because their entire second line was shredded by major injuries to Backstrom, Mantha and Oshie. I think they said on last night's broadcast that those three have played 50-60 games in total this year. Those guys are back and still getting their sea legs in some cases.

That doesn't mean they're good. It doesn't mean they're bad either. It means it's hard to tell what kind of team this is right now. Unfortunately, they're going to have to make that call within two weeks anyway.

It sounds like they are fishing for some bigger names (Fleury, Giroux), but they've suggested that traditional buyer assets (first round picks and top prospects) are not available. What that means as far as the seriousness with which they are bidding is an open question. They also might make exceptions for the right guy.

Usually McLellan is a straight shooter. He telegraphs what they want to do at the deadline and then he does it. They'd like a goalie if there's a clear upgrade, and a scoring forward. They're happy with their defense and defensive depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad