Salary Cap: Capgeek - 2013-14 Projections - We're #1 !!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The four teams below us are or have been powerhouses recently. While we haven't. Poor cap management?

I give Nonis a high grade for his cap management.

Signing Bozak for 4.2 looks like a great deal and it is only a 5 year term through his most productive years.

Retaining cap hit on Frattin/Scrivens and giving up less other assets to get Bernier was good cap management.

Nonis signing Kadri and Bernier to show me contracts below 3 million is good cap management.

Rounding out the roster with Franson, Raymond, Ranger on cheap contracts letting prospects develop properly equals good cap management. This ensures we let prospects develop patiently and also limit those prospects negotiating power come contract time.

Signing Brennan and Smith to one way contracts for hits below the waiver penalty retention amount (like Liles had) equals good cap management. If they make an NHL impact great but if not they'll certainly help the Marlies.

Trading Liles who people were screaming should have been bought out for Gleason who has been a great fit is good cap management.

The only questionable cap management is the Clarkson signing.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Players injured on LTIR (Bolland. Smith etc), still count on the roster but their cap hits overlap with his replacement (for all intents and purposes).

Capgeek takes this into account when calculating available cap space.. Notice the LTIR column to adjust the roster to 23 active players of overlapping cap hits.
I didn't see Smith listed as LTIR on capgeek.

Looks like Washington just passed us, so we're at #2.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Chicken little's are out in full force. Pretty sure any and all salaries being added are pro-rated, and not the full cap hit. Not to mention. teams like the leafs have capologists; pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I don't see the problem. I doubt we add any significant big cap pieces before the offseason.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't see the big deal. The Leafs have always been a team that overpays talent, I just accept it as fact and move on.

The top 20 teams are within 4 million of each other, that's not a big difference.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we subtracted the 2.5M in buyouts and taking on salary. We are not close to the top in spending.

Somewhat deceiving, we are in good shape next year with 2.5 coming off the books and the cap going up.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Remember how Kadri/Franson/Raymond couldn't possibly fit because Nonis messed up the cap so badly? I am not worried

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Trading Clarkson could save 5.25.

Hehehe.
Wasn't the poster who started this thread a big proponent for signing Clarkson? I'd rather move him and retain higher cap Kessel and Phaneuf. I don't know how there can be a $1.75 million cap hit difference between Clarkson and Phaneuf.

Should be fine, though. I'm certain that Nonis will be moving some pieces over the off-season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we subtracted the 2.5M in buyouts and taking on salary. We are not close to the top in spending.

Somewhat deceiving, we are in good shape next year with 2.5 coming off the books and the cap going up.

We have to get rid of 3 guys when injuries are dealt with I think. Max is 23, we have 26.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leafs are tops on the NHL Salary Cap chart.

Currently $370,833k free cap space.

Full list http://capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013

Nonis will have to be creative to make changes as the trade deadline approaches with so little free space.

Play the kids, don't trade picks, draft And develop... I'm still mad 10 years later because the leafs traded for free agents and overpaid at the deadline in like 2002. We could have had neidermeyer and perry!!!!!!

Wait Toronto doesn't have cap space to add at the deadline???? Wow nonis should have left space for Toronto to add free agents at the deadline!!!!!

So in review, play the kids, don't trade draft picks/prospects for rentals, but keep cap space to know that you could trade for players if you want to, but spend to the cap in free agency.

Am I doing it right???

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Play the kids, don't trade picks, draft And develop... I'm still mad 10 years later because the leafs traded for free agents and overpaid at the deadline in like 2002. We could have had neidermeyer and perry!!!!!!

Wait Toronto doesn't have cap space to add at the deadline???? Wow nonis should have left space for Toronto to add free agents at the deadline!!!!!

So in review, play the kids, don't trade draft picks/prospects for rentals, but keep cap space to know that you could trade for players if you want to, but spend to the cap in free agency.

Am I doing it right???

People who know, know Nonis dropped the ball with the Clarkson deal. It's pretty obvious, said it all along he cuffed us.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Every current Cup contender has more cap space than our playoff bubble team...oh man that sucks :laugh:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Washington hasn't really been a powerhouse... certainly not by achievement.

The reason the Leafs' cap situation is "so terrible" is because our management (Burke/Nonis) had zero depth, and zero talent, and the rebuilt their team by trading salary cap space to other teams for prospects.

That's how we acquired:
Dion Phaneuf
Joffrey Lupul
Jake Gardiner
Cody Franson
Carter Ashton* (Keith Aulie was part of the Phaneuf deal)

Coupled with the buyouts of some other players (Tucker, Armstrong) and the salary retention in the acquisition of Bernier (Frattin and Scrivens).

So those players cost us in future cap space, which is all in the process of resolving itself over the next couple seasons, after which point we will have much more freedom, cap-wise.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Clarkson bought out his summer?

It would make very little sense.

Considering that he has missed so many games with injury/suspension, and that this was his first season, it would behoove the management to see him through at least another season (hopefully a full season).

The buyout would be pretty terrible... capwise.

Per CapGeek:
◦2014-15: $2,291,667
◦2015-16: $1,541,667
◦2016-17: $41,667
◦2017-18: $41,667
◦2018-19: $2,291,667
◦2019-20: $3,791,667
◦2020-21: $1,791,667
◦2021-22: $1,791,667
◦2022-23: $1,791,667
◦2023-24: $1,791,667
◦2024-25: $1,791,667
◦2025-26: $1,791,667

That's putting the Leafs nearly $2M less in cap space than all other teams over a 6 year span after Clarkson's contract would otherwise be off the books.

IMO, it would be better to simply hold onto him, and let him try and earn the contract.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
A couple weeks ago, the Leafs were amidst a losing slide and people here were clamouring for Carlyle to be fired.

The Leafs have since gone 7-2-1 in their last 10 games, and it's shut people up pretty quickly...

Maybe a lesson can be learned from this situation and applied to Clarkson.

But... what would that lesson be...

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
A couple weeks ago, the Leafs were amidst a losing slide and people here were clamouring for Carlyle to be fired.

The Leafs have since gone 7-2-1 in their last 10 games, and it's shut people up pretty quickly...

Maybe a lesson can be learned from this situation and applied to Clarkson.

But... what would that lesson be...

lol I know.

I think its crazy people are talking about getting rid of a guy during his first year on a long-term deal.

It really helps you find the knee-jerker's who shouldn't be taken that seriously. Typically though this type of stuff comes from people with previous agendas who try and use the smallest of sample-sizes to prove a point. It works from both sides and you see it with almost every discussion.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Nonis showed great foresight in signing Bozak, which many of you whined about. I agree Clarkson has not earned his contract up to now, but to suggest buying him out right now is ridiculous.

You have to give Clarkson two years, and then we'll see of Nonis was right or wrong in signing Clarkson.

He, like Bolland, were brought in for the playoffs. I'm waiting to see what Clarkson does before suggesting getting rid of him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
lol I know.

I think its crazy people are talking about getting rid of a guy during his first year on a long-term deal.

It really helps you find the knee-jerker's who shouldn't be taken that seriously. Typically though this type of stuff comes from people with previous agendas who try and use the smallest of sample-sizes to prove a point. It works from both sides and you see it with almost every discussion.

There were plenty of people (myself included) who thought the Clarkson signing was incredibly dumb from the start. Thus I find the knee-jerker comment invalid.

Nonis showed great foresight in signing Bozak, which many of you whined about. I agree Clarkson has not earned his contract up to now, but to suggest buying him out right now is ridiculous.

You have to give Clarkson two years, and then we'll see of Nonis was right or wrong in signing Clarkson.

He, like Bolland, were brought in for the playoffs. I'm waiting to see what Clarkson does before suggesting getting rid of him.

It seems he was indeed right about Bozak. I'll freely admit that I thought that was an overpayment with the only possible justification being that if it helps us sign Kessel then it might be worth it. Not only did Kessel sign but now Bozak is earning his keep as well, nice!

As far as Clarkson goes though, I hope I turn out to be wrong but it seemed like a really bad signing from day 1. And as far as them being signed for the playoffs goes, that makes no sense IMO. We're not contenders, hell we're not even close to a lock to even make the playoffs so sacrificing cap space (and multiple picks in the case of Bolland) only handcuffs us for the future with the short term return being maybe winning a PO round at best and even that is doubtful.

Nope, bringing in Clarkson (and Bolland) "for the playoffs" to me makes no sense at all.

Delicious Dangles*

Classic OP. Find a couple day period where we are 1st in an arbitrary, meaningless cap projection that means absolutely nothing to the health or future of this team, made even less relevant by the fact that it is calculated using different amounts of players on each team, and it affecting each team differently with varying injuries.

Not to mention that we likely aren't looking to add much of anything at the trade deadline (nor should we), and the cap and our cap situation will be entirely different next year. On top of all that, we're not even 1st anymore (Washington is), so looks about time to close this thread up.

Delicious Dangles*

We're not contenders, hell we're not even close to a lock to even make the playoffs so sacrificing cap space (and multiple picks in the case of Bolland) only handcuffs us for the future with the short term return being maybe winning a PO round at best and even that is doubtful.

Nope, bringing in Clarkson (and Bolland) "for the playoffs" to me makes no sense at all.
Don't look now, but we are the 4th best team in the Eastern Conference. Pittsburgh (#1) and Montreal (#5) are two of the teams we match up best against in the league. We beat Tampa (#3) last night in our first matchup of the season, and we equal their speed, their greatest advantage. We took a better Boston (#2) team to game 7 OT last year, despite joke reffing and a huge discrepancy in experience.

We're not as far off as the doom-and-gloom crowd like to think, and the Clarkson (as much as I hate it) and Bolland acquisitions are what appears to be for the long term, not a deadline acquisition for just this year.

Buying out Clarkson at this point would be 10X more idiotic than signing him in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad