Salary Cap: Capfriendly has updated 2019-20 figures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That's why he's a good trading piece to get a RHD.
I'm listening if he's move for an age appropriate, top 4 on a good deal.

I also don't mind the "stay the course" method where we move forward with a defensive group of Rielly, Dermott, Lilly, Sandin, Rosen resign muzzin to a hometown deal, and have them develop into a great two way d-corps.

Could sound homerish, but there's 5 guys there who are top 4 Defensemen, or easily have top 4 potential

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
?

Kadri gets moved 100% before Nylander.

Here's a roster with overpaying Kapanen + Johnsson (3.5 x 4) & (3m x 4). With Marner at 10M

233bb8062cb6c0ac62eaaf8536dc9ec5.png

Dubas has shown us that he will go with the young talent over older guys (Sparks vs Mcbackup)

Summer 2020 (4m + 6.25m) will come off the books with only Dermott + Back up Goalie needed.

Our cap situation could look much different with the Salary Cap likely increasing significantly.

We have 3 years of good ELC defenseman (Sandin, Liljegren) with hopefully another wildcard (Hollowell, Duszak etc)

That D is not nearly as good as last years and last years wasn't nearly good enough. getting Cap compliant is not the problem, getting Cap compliant with a team that can contend is.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
?

Here's a roster with overpaying Kapanen + Johnsson (3.5 x 4) & (3m x 4). With Marner at 10M

kapp
Dubas has shown us that he will go with the young talent over older guys (Sparks vs Mcbackup)

Summer 2020 (4m + 6.25m) will come off the books with only Dermott + Back up Goalie needed.

Our cap situation could look much different with the Salary Cap likely increasing significantly.

We have 3 years of good ELC defenseman (Sandin, Liljegren) with hopefully another wildcard (Hollowell, Duszak etc)
With that defense we are at best another 3rd place finish in our division. We need to upgrade our defense big time. And we are not paying either Kappy or AJ 3M per. One guy will stay at 2M per. likely Kappy. other guy goes with Z for a defensive upgrade.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Brown + one of AJ/Kap are almost certaintly gone.

Then depending on Mitch's final contract numbers we may end up seeing the remaining one traded out of Kap and AJ.

If Mitch gets 10 million the leafs are going to be in big trouble as I dont see Marleau waiving or zaitsev being traded without a top 4 RD coming in (unlikely).

Personally I would consider giving both AJ and Kap 1 year deals to get out of the Marleau contract. AJ would have arbitration rights but I don't think Kap would.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Matthews turned similar options (albeit no arbitration rights into 11.634M /yr for 5 yrs.

He does have option 4 which is an offer sheet. If he files for arbitration then offer sheet is not possible.
Matthews was completely different, not only because of the calibur of players but also because of the signing rights.

In Johnsson's case, it doesn't make any sense to count on a potential offersheet when those are basically non existent. In that case, It's basically a guarantee that he would go to arb, and as you mentioned, it's one or the other, which definetly favors Toronto.

Reactions: mavis

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
?

Nylander is more of a winger. Even out of convenience (getting rid of Kadri), Dubas looks really bad signing a 3rd line C for 7 million a year.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I see the Marleau contract and the Horton LTIR contract tied together..

Marleau's 3 year deal overlapping the 3 years remaining on Horton's LTIR contract.

This is part in why they took the gamble on Patty, because they knew if worse came to worse with those 2 contracts overlapping and counting a just one, and Horton being allowed to be pushed above the hard cap line wouldn't really impact the Leafs much as only the difference $6.25 mil - Horton $5.3 mil = $950k needs to be accounted for as the other $5.3 mil could be recapture as part of the LTIR reimbursement, and reinvested in his replacement.

Essentially Norton being replaced with a healthy player and his full amount appearing above the hard cap ceiling.

Where do you come up with this nonsense????

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Brown + one of AJ/Kap are almost certaintly gone.

Then depending on Mitch's final contract numbers we may end up seeing the remaining one traded out of Kap and AJ.

If Mitch gets 10 million the leafs are going to be in big trouble as I dont see Marleau waiving or zaitsev being traded without a top 4 RD coming in (unlikely).

Personally I would consider giving both AJ and Kap 1 year deals to get out of the Marleau contract. AJ would have arbitration rights but I don't think Kap would.

Kap for top 4 RHD
Trade zaitsev and brown

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
If this isn't a cold water in the face for Dubas then I don't know what is. He absolutely has to move Nylander. There's more to this cap friendly moment than just 2019-2020. Dubas has to think beyond next season.
You trade from the middle of the roster not the top. Dubas knows that...

Reactions: kb

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Willie moving will balance the books. Shooting the lights out at the WHC is exactly what was needed to restore his market value. Of course I am pissed off at the the little diva but I only want him gone because of the cap issues. They still have a great group of forwards without him, but kind of a sucky defense if he stays, and no space to improve it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Willie moving will balance the books. Shooting the lights out at the WHC is exactly what was needed to restore his market value. Of course I am pissed off at the the little diva but I only want him gone because of the cap issues. They still have a great group of forwards without him, but kind of a sucky defense if he stays, and no space to improve it.
The point about cheap, young internal options with high upside in Dermott, Rosen, Liljegren and Sandin getting larger roles or into the lineup should greatly improve that suspect defense. They may trade a forward for a defender this summer and in a years time have to do the opposite because everyone is ready at the same time.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
The point about cheap, young internal options with high upside in Dermott, Rosen, Liljegren and Sandin getting larger roles or into the lineup should greatly improve that suspect defense. They may trade a forward for a defender this summer and in a years time have to do the opposite because everyone is ready at the same time.
Rosen or Sandin might break into lineup not sure if Liljegren will be ready. Rosen probably has the best chance.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Rosen or Sandin might break into lineup not sure if Liljegren will be ready. Rosen probably has the best chance.
I still suspect that we'll acquire Miller and run something similar to this:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-Brooks-Petan

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Miller
Rosén-Liljegren
Borgman

Andersen
Backup

With a combined $5.5M to Kapanen and Johnsson, and $9.5M to Marner... it just barely squeaks through. We should probably try to squeeze down the first number by $1M so we can add a 13th forward for road games.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I wouldn’t rely on Liljegren and Sandin in the top 6 to be an upgrade the the D.
Sandin is only 19 and probably could use another year in the minors.
I’m all for giving them a chance but I think with the short window they have to win they may make a big trade that’ll include Liljegren or maybe both.

Last edited:

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Roughly $14M with the Horton LTIR relief:

Modest RFA numbers:
$10M Marner
$3.1M Kapanen
$2.9M Johnsson

Total $16M

Over by $2M

Still short 2 to 3 defensemen (and a new backup goalie): $3M to $5M

Over by about $5M to $7M. Need to move at least $6M in contract(s).

this is insane. Johnsson and Kapanen at most combine for 5mill or get rid of them both.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
So funny how the same people that say you won't get a good trade for Kapanen or Johnson also think they will each get 3 mil.

Are they good or not ? Nothing but negative.

Reactions: illusory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad