Salary Cap: Capfriendly has updated 2019-20 figures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
We would lose Kapanen/Johnsson anyways after their short term deal is up.

Marleau really is the thorn in our sides here. If Brown + Marleau are moved we easily fit everyone

Moving Marleau and Brown out makes it easier but does not solve everything.

Moving those 2 out gives another 8.325M in space plus the current 14.1M (using Hortons LTIR) so that would be 22.4M in space.

Need to sign Marner/Johnsson and Kapanen Giving you 11 F, need 2 more warm bodies at about a million each)
Need 3 more bodies on D to get to a 23 man roster. Ideally you want something more than ELC guys to improve the D and make up for losses of Gardiner Hainsey.

Lets say you sign /trade for a $4M D man. Bring in Hainsey or an Hainsey type at 2 M and one ELC. That's about $7M on D and it may not be enough. $2M for 2 replacement ELC forwards and we have used up $9M of the 22.4M, leaving $13,4 for Marner/Johnsson and Kapanen.

Even if you get rid of Marleau and Brown, I don't think you can keep all 3 forwards and improve the D. Nylander should have been traded last year for help on D. That was Dubas' biggest error.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You appear to have counted Horton twice. His salary is included in the total salaries and then it was counted again to reduce the 10% slush. The Leafs, like every other team, can go to $83 million plus 10% in the off season.

You need to pay the piper for Horton one way or another eventually..

Offseason = $83 mil + 10% slush fund = +$8.3 temp extra which = $ 91.3 total offseason spending including Horton @$5.3 mil. So if you deduct his contract that = $ 86 mil in net spending.

Slush fund $8.3 mil (+10% on $83 mil) of which Horton contract would eat away at if you remove it. (ie hard cap +$3 mil extra to work with during the summer)

Regular season = $83 mil Hard Cap + LTIR (Horton @$5.3 mil) = $88.3 total cap compliance = $83 mil in actual contracts as Horton's $5.3 mil dead contract is included.

Summary: Leafs have $86 mil + Horton in the offseason & $83 mil + Horton in the regular season. The slush fund extra money goes away when the season starts.

That is what that post of mine earlier was attempting to portray in case that wasn't clear. (and needed to include Horton)

The Capfiendly number of free cap $8,790,301 does not include the slush fund, and does include Horton.. However depending on how/when you deduct it matters.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Trading Marleau seems like a long shot unless he wants out. It would be a bad look for the organization. Plus he has to agree to any move. I don't see why he would want to leave and uproot his family again.

Reactions: OddyOh and aingefan

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
You need to pay the piper for Horton one way or another eventually..

Offseason = $83 mil + 10% slush fund = +$8.3 temp extra which = $ 91.3 total offseason spending including Horton @$5.3 mil. So if you deduct his contract that = $ 86 mil in net spending.

Slush fund $8.3 mil (+10% on $83 mil) of which Horton contract would eat away at if you remove it. (ie hard cap +$3 mil extra to work with during the summer)

Regular season = $83 mil Hard Cap + LTIR (Horton @$5.3 mil) = $88.3 total cap compliance = $83 mil in actual contracts as Horton's $5.3 mil dead contract is included.

Summary: Leafs have $86 mil + Horton in the offseason & $83 mil + Horton in the regular season. The slush fund extra money goes away when the season starts.

That is what that post of mine earlier was attempting to portray in case that wasn't clear. (and needed to include Horton)

The Capfiendly number of free cap $8,790,301 does not include the slush fund, and does include Horton.. However depending on how/when you deduct it matters.

You were wrong before, it's okay to admit it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think $3.1M Kapanen will be a cap casualty. The Matthews overpay is responsible for losing Kapanen.

Paying Marleau 6+ million to perform like a 4th liner is the bigger culprit.

Kapanen stays and will comfortably fit under thr cap if he agrees to a contract that fits with his comparables, if not hes traded for another asset to help the team.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
The Leafs are also extremely lucky that Rielly is only getting $5 million a year and he should be getting $9 based on his #’s

Incredible signing there from years back

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You appear to have counted Horton twice. His salary is included in the total salaries and then it was counted again to reduce the 10% slush. The Leafs, like every other team, can go to $83 million plus 10% in the off season.

And like has been reported, they can use LTIR on players like Horton in the off-season as well.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kappy will sign for 1 year for 2M but nothing will be done until Mitch signs. AJ has turned down the Leafs for 2.1M which is fine. The Leafs will go to arb and then if over 2.1M they will decline contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Our Leafs sit #6 on cap used (and reflecting Matthews new deal)

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $8,790,301 with 17 players under contract.

With Marner, Kapanen and AJ as RFAs and Gardiner and Hainsey as UFAs.

Link: CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
So really we have 14 million in space.
Plus 2 million for trading brown
Plus 4.5 million for trading Zaitsev

Marner gets 10.
Johanson gets 1.6 in arbitration
Kapanen gets 2.75 x 2
Hainsey comes back at 2 million
Plus two elc contracts( liljeren + euro euroing guy?)

Looks like it fits to me..

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kappy will sign for 1 year for 2M but nothing will be done until Mitch signs. AJ has turned down the Leafs for 2.1M which is fine. The Leafs will go to arb and then if over 2.1M they will decline contract.

I'd hope Johnsson has some kind of trade value as opposed to the Leafs losing him for nothing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I see the Marleau contract and the Horton LTIR contract tied together..

Marleau's 3 year deal overlapping the 3 years remaining on Horton's LTIR contract.

This is part in why they took the gamble on Patty, because they knew if worse came to worse with those 2 contracts overlapping and counting a just one, and Horton being allowed to be pushed above the hard cap line wouldn't really impact the Leafs much as only the difference $6.25 mil - Horton $5.3 mil = $950k needs to be accounted for as the other $5.3 mil could be recapture as part of the LTIR reimbursement, and reinvested in his replacement.

Essentially Norton being replaced with a healthy player and his full amount appearing above the hard cap ceiling.

Reactions: The Shadow

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No way Johnsson's arb deal comes back that high. At the principle of it, he's a 24 year old, with 46 career points.
I don't think there's a single comparable over 1.8 million

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I see the Marleau contract and the Horton LTIR contract tied together..

Marleau's 3 year deal overlapping the 3 years remaining on Horton's LTIR contract.

This is part in why they took the gamble on Patty, because they knew if worse came to worse with those 2 contracts overlapping and counting a just one, and Horton being allowed to be pushed above the hard cap line wouldn't really impact the Leafs much as only the difference $6.25 mil - Horton $5.3 mil = $950k needs to be accounted for as the other $5.3 mil could be recapture as part of the LTIR reimbursement, and reinvested in his replacement.

Essentially Norton being replaced with a healthy player and his full amount appearing above the hard cap ceiling.

Using the cap space was fine, but committing to use it on a 40 year old winger for the 3rd year when all three of Matthews, Marner and Nylander would need to be on new contracts was foolish and you are seeing why now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No way Johnsson's arb deal comes back that high. At the principle of it, he's a 24 year old, with 46 career points.
I don't think there's a single comparable over 1.8 million
You would hope so. But he has told Leafs he will not sign at 2.1M. So it is up to arb. we will see. anything is possible with new rfa pricing model. last years model has gone forever. if arb goes higher than hopefully we can trade the asset. crazy new world for rfas.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You would hope so. But he has told Leafs he will not sign at 2.1M. So it is up to arb. we will see. anything is possible with new rfa pricing model. last years model has gone forever. if arb goes higher than hopefully we can trade the asset. crazy new world for rfas.
Lol, I don't really card what he's says too be honest. He has basically zero negotiating rights.

His options are either;
1. Take whatever Toronto gives me, potentially with term.

2. Take whatever the arb guy gives me, and be bound to that, good or bad....and than go about the whole process again next year.

3. Sit out

And for a 24 year old trying to carve out a career, #3 isn't a real option.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If this isn't a cold water in the face for Dubas then I don't know what is. He absolutely has to move Nylander. There's more to this cap friendly moment than just 2019-2020. Dubas has to think beyond next season.

?

Kadri gets moved 100% before Nylander.

Here's a roster with overpaying Kapanen + Johnsson (3.5 x 4) & (3m x 4). With Marner at 10M

233bb8062cb6c0ac62eaaf8536dc9ec5.png

Dubas has shown us that he will go with the young talent over older guys (Sparks vs Mcbackup)

Summer 2020 (4m + 6.25m) will come off the books with only Dermott + Back up Goalie needed.

Our cap situation could look much different with the Salary Cap likely increasing significantly.

We have 3 years of good ELC defenseman (Sandin, Liljegren) with hopefully another wildcard (Hollowell, Duszak etc)

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Lol, I don't really card what he's says too be honest. He has basically zero negotiating rights.

His options are either;
1. Take whatever Toronto gives me, potentially with term.

2. Take whatever the arb guy gives me, and be bound to that, good or bad....and than go about the whole process again next year.

3. Sit out

And for a 24 year old trying to carve out a career, #3 isn't a real option.

Matthews turned similar options (albeit no arbitration rights into 11.634M /yr for 5 yrs.

He does have option 4 which is an offer sheet. If he files for arbitration then offer sheet is not possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad