Salary Cap: Cap Situation Entering Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If holding out for a whole year would have hurt Nylander's trade value, then it also would have hurt his earning potential. He would become both easier to acquire and cheaper to re-sign.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If we can move Marner and acquire 2-3 Top 6 F for less cap hit (either in the acquisition. or using the freed up cap space in FA) then i am for it

I'm all for trading Mitch, but we cant do it just to "change the room" (even tho it prob does need a change), we have to use his value/cap space to get better

Reactions: PromisedLand

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Rather they prioritize goaltending and then figure out depth forwards after. Prefer a goalie on the roster that we'd have no problem giving full no.1 reigns too. Leave Campbell as high workload backup but season is over for him come playoffs.

Tandems is such a regular season thing. What's the last Stanley cup team to run a tandem in the playoffs. Makes no sense relying on goalies who work well in a tandem when you need a goalie who works well alone when it counts.

2018 caps is what I'd want. Holtby was in the 50s and Grub in the 30s (high work load backup). Then Holtby took sole reigns in the playoffs.

We have 2018 Grubauer in Campbell. Lacking the Holtby. Spreading the cap evenly among the remaining holes will be a massive mistake. Caps don't win the cup if Grubauer was the starter so don't know why we'd be interested having two Grubauers in a tandem.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We lost to the Habs this year because our topend failed. Our depth scored as much if not more than the Habs who were built on depth. That's without an 11M center playing on our "depth" lines.

So we want to trade a topend talent, because he didn't produce, to improve the depth that was largely adequate at least in scoring.

Who on the roster do consider depth within the context of your post?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Who on the roster do consider depth within the context of your post?

The forward depth going into that series was Kerfoot, Spezza, Galchenyuk, Mikheyev, Thornton, Simmonds, Engvall, Nash.

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lol under no circumstance should Mitch Marner, a top 5 scorer, ever play consistently on the third line.

Why not if it leads to a more balanced attack which leads to wins? Mitch got paid, he doesn't need pad his stats anymore.

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The forward depth going into that series was Kerfoot, Spezza, Galchenyuk, Mikheyev, Thornton, Simmonds, Engvall, Nash.

Ok....so aside from Spezza....2 ES goals and 1PP goal in 7 games. I suppose that's adequate, but just barely.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ok....so aside from Spezza....2 ES goals and 1PP goal in 7 games. I suppose that's adequate, but just barely.

Those depth guys produced 6gls and 19pts in 7gms. I think you'll find that pace matches up well with the depth guys on pretty much any playoffs team this year.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Rather they prioritize goaltending and then figure out depth forwards after. Prefer a goalie on the roster that we'd have no problem giving full no.1 reigns too. Leave Campbell as high workload backup but season is over for him come playoffs.

Tandems is such a regular season thing. What's the last Stanley cup team to run a tandem in the playoffs. Makes no sense relying on goalies who work well in a tandem when you need a goalie who works well alone when it counts.

2018 caps is what I'd want. Holtby was in the 50s and Grub in the 30s (high work load backup). Then Holtby took sole reigns in the playoffs.

We have 2018 Grubauer in Campbell. Lacking the Holtby. Spreading the cap evenly among the remaining holes will be a massive mistake. Caps don't win the cup if Grubauer was the starter so don't know why we'd be interested having two Grubauers in a tandem.
They've gotta find a guy who can be the #1 because Campbell is injury prone

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Those depth guys produced 6gls and 19pts in 7gms. I think you'll find that pace matches up well with the depth guys on pretty much any playoffs team this year.

Yea, aside from Spezza, it was adequate. Thank goodness for him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander would be #1.

Nylander and Marener are our top 2 RWers. If you use Nylander on the LW then you need to add another top 2 RWer.

The way I see it our top priorities are a goalie, 2 top 6 LWers, bottom 6 depth and a bottom pair RHD (or use what we have now Dermott/Lily and Sandin/Dermott on your bottom pair).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad