Salary Cap: Cap Situation Entering Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd try and trade Reilly to LA, let the kings speak with him for an extension and we get back 8th overall. Then we can go after Hamilton to replace Reilly at 8 mill x 6 or 7 years. We would have just over 6 mill in cap for a tandem goalie and a top 6 LW. This is way out there but fun to think about.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
@Jeffrey Pedler -

Don't put words in my mouth... they taste awful...

Leafs played in a division with a lot of awful teams. Let's see how the D stats look when they play a proper schedule.

Lets see how they play without Freddy's .895 sv% though too. I am more worried about the goaltending than the defense getting exposed. If Campbell is better than .915 and the 1b/backup is better than .910 they will be fine. They were actually closer to the league lead in GF in the previous two seasons so we know there won't be an issue with scoring. The rest of the league got a season off from seeing Matthews, Marner, Drai and McDavid so the proper schedule could be an adventure for many clubs. They really do need another goalie

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'd try and trade Reilly to LA, let the kings speak with him for an extension and we get back 8th overall. Then we can go after Hamilton to replace Reilly at 8 mill x 6 or 7 years. We would have just over 6 mill in cap for a tandem goalie and a top 6 LW. This is way out there but fun to think about.

Im down for that.

We can get Hamilton, Hoffman and Halak. Im good with that. Triple H

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Any chance Dubas trades for some LTIR space (Klefbom/others?) and try to get another 5-10M of cap space to go big game hunting in FA? Dougie Hamilton/Landeskog/Danault/Kuemper or trade route (Bertuzzi/Garland/Other?) ...some combination of trades/UFA to beef up the 3-4 holes with difference makers vs. just affordable options (3-3.5M each for top 6 winger/3C/backup goalie).

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lets see how they play without Freddy's .895 sv% though too. I am more worried about the goaltending than the defense getting exposed. If Campbell is better than .915 and the 1b/backup is better than .910 they will be fine. They were actually closer to the league lead in GF in the previous two seasons so we know there won't be an issue with scoring. The rest of the league got a season off from seeing Matthews, Marner, Drai and McDavid so the proper schedule could be an adventure for many clubs. They really do need another goalie

I would argue that need two more goalies. The odds of Campbell playing a full season seems low to me. You're likely going to have a career backup with Campbell and then expect that guy to shoulder the load while Campbell is injured.

And that's just to get in the playoffs. The goal of this team should not be to just get in the playoffs or even win a round. It should be to win a Cup. I don't see Campbell carrying a team for four rounds.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Pathetic to see the exact same roster for the upcoming season. Last years team was the most disappointing team in franchise history

Make no changes. Awesome plan Dubas. smh

1st place in the North
Franchise record for points
First 1st all star since Salming
Found a goalie off the scrap heap
fixed our defensive struggles
needed to win one of 2 OT games to advance and didn't

Some think it is best to blow this up and start over. not sure why???

Reactions: Smif and Beaszt519

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
We also need a minimum of two extras

Going with the min number of roster players is pretty dumb imo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does anyone see this D group making a deep Stanley Cup run?

Does anyone think Campbell is good enough to put the team on his back for two months in April and June?
The D group was fine. Campbell posted the second best goalie stats in the playoffs.

I mean, there is plenty to complain about, but in your never ending campaign to crucify everything, at least make some semblance of common sense.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1st place in the North

There is a whole portion of the fanbase, who are pretend fans, who do nothing but complain about everything, and everybody....

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
1st place in the North

I think the bolded is the issue a lot of fans are identifying, this core has failed the past 3 seasons to finish a series when they have held a lead. The past 3 playoffs have been failure. I give them a break on the Washington and first Boston loss as they were young/developing and realistically where not expected to push though in those matchups.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
1st place in the North

Team has been voted a Stanley Cup favorite for 2 seasons and on both cases lost early..debatable whether they even made the playoffs the season before this past one.

The depth of the team has been completely stripped and now only have the high paid guys and surprise bags of forwards that very well could be waiver wire guys as early as next season.

This team actually had phenomenal depth a few years ago...and a influx of top end talent coming in. Couldnt have asked for a better situation. We had Hyman, Komarov, Martin, Bozak, brown.... all pretty good depth guys. Kapanen, Johnsson, Kadri, JVR, Gardiner were good trade assets. Instead... we recouped essentially only one quality asset our of the entire lot (Kapanen) and now we are needing to rebuild our depth from scratch with few tradeable assets remaining. Hyman and Brown should have been long term leafs...they both loved it here. Instead we hung onto the sexy flashy guys Johnsson and Kapanen. We missed on both Konecny and Aho.... (Hunters fault) but it's a Shanahan hire.

Marner and Matthews deals are anomalies... overpaid and short in term.

I mean very little good has come from Shanahan....outside of a sure fire 1st overall selection and I'm a Dubas supporter. The culture of this team seems messed up too... winnipeg has an easier time signing their players to reasonable contracts then we do. Everybody on this team wants the damn moon...unless they are in the twilights of their careers.

Eagerly awaiting to see our killer instinct big acquisition we were told about.

Reactions: saffronleaf

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
1st place in the North

Ousted in the first rd 5 straight years, not the 2nd or 3rd rd. This core has shown it can’t win when it counts. But let’s just keep trying and adding geriatric players that haven’t won a thing

Reactions: Beaumaris

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Ousted in the first rd 5 straight years, not the 2nd or 3rd rd. This core has shown it can’t win when it counts. But let’s just keep trying and adding geriatric players that haven’t won a thing

I will finish the thought

while the core comes into their primes

Perfect

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Could see them trading or signing a goalie for about 3 million a year, signing a Granlund in the low 3's, signing a third liner in the low 2's and then taking a shot on some guy like Galchenyuk or Bunting for under a million to be in the top 6.

Probably enter the year with Kerfoot at 3c.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I would personally move on from Dermott, mikheyev and engvall. I don't think any of them have proven to be worth more than league min vets available every offseason and we could probably get back ~1.5 million in cap. I don't have the numbers in front of me to do the math at the moment
Mikeyev gives me the heebie geebies every time he has the puck. Hes useless. Time to move on.

I think if Robertson is on 2nd line, you put him with Marner and you get that line going again with JT. Marner doesnt need to be with Matthews.

FA signing / Matthews / Nylander
Robertson / JT / Marner
FA Signing / Kerfoot / FA signing
Simmonds / Brooks / Spezza

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed. I also believe this is where the Leafs went wrong on players like Marner and Nylander. They should have pushed the bridge deal 2 years prior to signing their deals. The flat cap was unexpected and if we didnt have the pandemic we easily could have had an additional 7 million in cap space. We wouldnt be speaking of this right now. But you need to plan for the unexpected. Upper management failed in this regard. Having to liquidate assets because of bad deals signed.

Imagine the Leafs the last 2 years played with Marner and Nylander on bridge deals.

Marner 7 million into next season.
Nylander 4.5 million into next season.

Thats what they would have gotten and signed if Dubas and company opened their eyes and did what they were supposed to do. That alone would have been an additional 6 million in cap space this season alone.

Now imagine trying to resign them now with the flat cap.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I've been thinking for a while they should accelerate Tavares' move to the wing and keep Nylander with Kerfoot and someone else (Gally if they can resign him, or maybe a better LW). My only fear with such a lineup is that it will incentivize Keefe to overplay the top line evern more. But honestly, they need to get Tavares and Nylander away from each other; both players look better apart. They just don't mesh well.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
1st place in the North

All that is... is blah blah blah. Win when it matters or get the f*** out. This team is a pure failure until that happens. Nobody cares is they goo 82-0 and then lose first round. Fail is the only thing this steam has accomplished.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I've been thinking for a while they should accelerate Tavares' move to the wing and keep Nylander with Kerfoot and someone else (Gally if they can resign him, or maybe a better LW). My only fear with such a lineup is that it will incentivize Keefe to overplay the top line evern more. But honestly, they need to get Tavares and Nylander away from each other; both players look better apart. They just don't mesh well.
I'm fine with them together, but do prefer Marner with Tavares and don't see an issue with Matthews and Nylander. It let's Mitch have the puck more and drive the play instead if being an equal or secondary option

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Team can always reunite JT with MM and Matthews-Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad