Salary Cap: Cap Situation Entering Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mikheyev-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Wennberg-Simmonds
Engvall-Brooks-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Liljegren

Campbell
?????????

This is a good sensible take of what the Leafs could target but I think they can do better than Mikheyev and Galchenyuk if healthy in their top 6. I also think Kerfoot will be with Tavares and Nylander again since they were very good as a unit. Mikheyev never seems to do well in a scoring role.

I think you'll see the Leafs go after a quality top 6 LW like a Granlund or Schwartz or Saad or something along those lines. Galchenyuk might be brought back, but it will be as a depth piece more than a full time one.

I do think Wennberg is a viable option and a good one to target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gallagbi

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Those third and 4th lines are just bad. And Soup on the top line?
I see nothing but regression from that lineup and even softer than before

Thanks for the feedback.

Love to see your suggestion.

Mikheyev is the only question mark I have in my line-up, but I know he will go into corners, isn't a banger or crasher, but will go into those areas.

I actually really like my 3rd. line, I think it would be much better than anything they've had there for a while, and other than Simmonds is less than 30 years of age.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is a good sensible take of what the Leafs could target but I think they can do better than Mikheyev and Galchenyuk if healthy in their top 6. I also think Kerfoot will be with Tavares and Nylander again since they were very good as a unit. Mikheyev never seems to do well in a scoring role.

I think you'll see the Leafs go after a quality top 6 LW like a Granlund or Schwartz or Saad or something along those lines. Galchenyuk might be brought back, but it will be as a depth piece more than a full time one.

I think the cap will drive some moves, if Hyman is getting those offers we might be moving out of pandemic reduced salary offers.
Hyman is a decent middle 6 forward, who is getting $40 million.

Galchenyuk probably can't demand a big contract, so he'd be a good depth forward with some upside.

I thought about Kerfoot with Nylander, and could easily flip him to with Galchenyuk.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A goalie and one of the top six LWs will get the bulk of that, but the always are sitting fairly comfortably heading into free agency based on their availability+ needs.

That said, fixating on a fixed roster before we've even had the entry draft is a bit silly. We could easily see a couple forwards moved in the next few weeks

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Pathetic to see the exact same roster for the upcoming season. Last years team was the most disappointing team in franchise history

Make no changes. Awesome plan Dubas. smh

People said the same about Tampa and Washington.

I'm not saying they are winning a cup or the best team in the league.

Sometimes staying the course is a move that works, sometimes it isn't.

He's taking his risk by sticking to his guns. His job will depend on what side the team ends up on.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We have $9.35 million in cap space with the roster below. I don't think our cap situation is that bad. We would be able to sign a guy like Saad or Schwartz to replace Hyman up front, and bring back a guy like Galchenyuk for cheap. I think we'll be able to do more in free agency than a lot of people expect - especially if they're able to do some LTIR manipulation with Tavares.

If Nick Robertson is ready to be a top 6 winger, it could be huge for us - maybe sliding Galchenyuk down the lineup halfway through the year.

XXXX-Matthews-Marner
XXXX-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Engvall-Spezza-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Sandin/Liljegren

Campbell
XXXX

No. Stop joking and start by signing a backup goalie.

Holl 2D pair :D.

We have 9 M left if we play one goalie and 3 lines...

Unless Marner is traded, we are signing Simmonds only.

We have one single team-friendly contract - Jason ''The man" Spezza. Stop pretending we are getting Sad, Galchenyuk or other high profile UFA under 1 M.

With 9M cap space, we can get Hall maybe Ovi ? Possibly both for cheap.

If you take out Tavares from your lineup, we are left with Matthews - Marner to ensure Mitch I never scored 27 goals in one season Marner can get his share of secondary assists, XXX-XXX- Nylander + your minimum wage heroes :D.

Get Eichel here, he got such great underlying stats and missing actually production, I wonder how is not Leaf already. 60 points a season, master blaster of puck possesion for a measly 10M per year. With Eichel, we can beat anyone in excel. Dunno on ice.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Prefer Matthews/Nylander together. Matthews is a great puck handler but doesn't like to carry the puck. Nylander will do the zone entries and Matthews will be able to give him space to drive. Nylander is a more dangerous shooter and help give Matthews more space.

Tavares/Marner work better together because Tavares wants to drive the net, get dirty and find the puck. This forces marner to get in Dirty areas. When he plays with Matthews he stays outside and is ineffective.

Mikheyev as much as I like him, and I'm a huge fan has mentally lost it in the O zone. He's like our version of Kokatiemi. He might break out hopefully, but right now he's near waiver material.

Simmonds showed good play for only 8 games last year. I have him penciled in as 4th line or scratch.

Reactions: myleafs

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think we'll sign 1 C, 1 LW and 1 goalie. Our centre depth is not comfortable right now.

Robertson and Joey Anderson will get chances to be another LW and it would really help us if at least one established themselves as a regular.

I'd like to concentrate most of the dollars on a really good LW, something like $5 million there. Then split the rest on a 3/4 centre option and a backup goalie. I believe in Campbell as a starter and think you have to take that chance rather than paying up for a proven starter and not improving enough at forward.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I totally agree.

I think we can all agree that bringing back the same core with 4 x 2.5 million dollar players including your first line, second line and backup goaltender is totally realistic and was just what the Leafs needed to take that next step.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Trade for Garland and Kumper@25% retained. I'd offer Amirov+ depending on what we could sign Garland for.

Sign galchenyuk 1yearx1.25 or 2yearsx1.5

Galch- $1.25 x 1
Kumper $3.10
Garland 5m x 4 years
Total added - 9.35

Garland - Matthews - Nylander
Chuck - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Kerfoot - Engvall
Simmonds - Spezza - Mikheyev
Brooks

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Liljeren
Sandin

Campbell
Kumper

It's actually pretty good and I'd be happy with the team.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Trade for Garland and Kumper@25% retained. I'd offer Amirov+ depending on what we could sign Garland for.

Sign galchenyuk 1yearx1.25 or 2yearsx1.5

Galch- 1.5
Kumper 3.25
Garland 3.5?
Vet bottom 6/gritty Damn - 900k
Total added - 9.2m

Garland - Matthews - Nylander
Chuck - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Kerfoot - Engvall
Simmonds - Spezza - Mikheyev

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Liljeren
Sandin

Campbell
Kumper

It's actually pretty good and I'd be happy with the team.
Garland is worth closer to Nyoander than he is to Kerfoot

Garland gets 5.5-6 not 3.5

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I totally agree. Marner and Matthews need to be split up. Babcock had it right. If you want two dangerous lines that is the way to go. My preference of lineup would be as follows:

Sign Granlund 3yrsx3.5m
Re-sign Gally
Re-sign Bogo
Sign Bernier or Rittich

Make trade: Dermott, prospect for Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Granlund-Tavares-Marner
Gally-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Simmonds-Engvall-Spezza
Brooks, Anderson

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Bogo
Lilly

Campbell
Bernier/Rittich

Reactions: CincoHolio

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks for the feedback.

Love to see your suggestion.

Mikheyev is the only question mark I have in my line-up, but I know he will go into corners, isn't a banger or crasher, but will go into those areas.

I actually really like my 3rd. line, I think it would be much better than anything they've had there for a while, and other than Simmonds is less than 30 years of age.

Mikheyev of two years ago would be nice. Lets see what he can do with a normal training camp in a normal year. He can't be pleased about 2021 and hopefully sees this as a career determining year. Still a risk but definitely should get an early chance to hit his stride. I am not a big Galchenyuk fan or of "show me" 1 year deals but would like to see him with 30 games of regular use to see more of what he really is.

I really agree they need a legit #3c but not sure if Wennberg is it. He will play the position better than Engvall or Kerfoot but is a career 8% shooter who scored at a 20% clip last year. Over 18:00 TOI including pp so if he is given 14:00 like Kerf and goes back to shooting 10% he may be in tough to produce more than 10g. He will also be looking at a bump in his $2.25M salary. Not a lot of UFA options at center tho.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No way Garland get Nylander money. Closer to a bridge deal and 3-3.5 sounds more reasonable. 4 max.
Depends on the contract more than anything I suppose. If someone went long term I could see like a 6x5.5. on a 3 year it'd be closer to a 3x 3.5 I'm thinking.

The tougher part is making the trade work without going all in.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Depends on the contract more than anything I suppose. If someone went long term I could see like a 6x5.5. on a 3 year it'd be closer to a 3x 3.5 I'm thinking.

The tougher part is making the trade work without going all in.

Agreed. I also believe this is where the Leafs went wrong on players like Marner and Nylander. They should have pushed the bridge deal 2 years prior to signing their deals. The flat cap was unexpected and if we didnt have the pandemic we easily could have had an additional 7 million in cap space. We wouldnt be speaking of this right now. But you need to plan for the unexpected. Upper management failed in this regard. Having to liquidate assets because of bad deals signed.

Imagine the Leafs the last 2 years played with Marner and Nylander on bridge deals.

Marner 7 million into next season.
Nylander 4.5 million into next season.

Thats what they would have gotten and signed if Dubas and company opened their eyes and did what they were supposed to do. That alone would have been an additional 6 million in cap space this season alone.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad