Seravalli: Canucks will make a strong play for Guentzel and might present best mix of money and opportunity. Toronto, Washington, NYR, Florida also interested.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canuck fans trying to encourage management. Seen flying in Vancouver today

st2icmk1.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Can someone tell me the appeal for this guy? He doesn’t seem to be a physical force and how hard is to find a slight scoring winger?

I must be missing something? Is he some defensive demon in addition to his 30 goals?

Don’t get me wrong, he has played well on the wing of this generations best player but what else does he have on his resume?

Doesn’t scream to me 9m type of guy.

1718739424436.png

1718740711542.png

Why exactly does this not say 9 million? Look at the comparable salaries of literally everyone in his vicinity.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So that's what the Canucks are planning?

Because all the talk I see around them is letting Lindholm leave, Zadorov leave and they are going to trade Hronek

Reactions: UrbanImpact

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
View attachment 884003
View attachment 884014

Why exactly does this not say 9 million? Look at the comparable salaries of literally everyone in his vicinity.

9 mill is Sebastian Aho money right now which is considered a very good AAV with the current cap.

When the cap goes up to 89-96million over the next couple of years, 9 mil is going to be a bargain with what JG brings to any contending team.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Can someone tell me the appeal for this guy? He doesn’t seem to be a physical force and how hard is to find a slight scoring winger?

I must be missing something? Is he some defensive demon in addition to his 30 goals?

Don’t get me wrong, he has played well on the wing of this generations best player but what else does he have on his resume?

He puts up points? The point of the game is to outscore the opposition, and he helps his team do that.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So that's what the Canucks are planning?

Because all the talk I see around them is letting Lindholm leave, Zadorov leave and they are going to trade Hronek

I think their main priority has always been Guentzel. Of course if he re-signed in Carolina then they would probably circle back to Lindholm.

With Big Z, the Canucks have rightfully drawn a line. They want him back and Z wants to be back but the Canucks doesnt see like they want to budge anywhere near 5.5 mil.

Hronek I think the Canucks will sign around 7 mil. I dont see them letting him walk with how great of a fit he has been with Hughes and only entering his prime as well at 25 yrs old.

That leaves Joshua. Similar to Z, i think the Canucks have a hard line on what they want to pay Joshua. Im guessing around 2.8mil. Otherwise they are prepared to let him walk.

My guess:

Guentzel 9mil AAV
Hronek- 7mil AAV
Lindholm- Boston
Zadorov- Nashville
Joshua- 3mil AAV
Myers- 3mil AAV

xxx-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Guentzel
Joshua-xxx-Garland
Mikh-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
xxx-Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Leaves the Canucks around 6milAAV to full out the xxx spots.

Canucks can also attach an asset and get rid of Mikhayev and open up 5 more mil of cap space.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
I think Jake gets over 10M. Only way I could see him signing for less would be with the 8 years which would cost any team other than the Canes a pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Guentzel ends up getting over $10 million in free agency. With the big jump in cap and how rare it is for a player like Guentzel to be available in free agency, I think the deal he's going to end up signing is going to be eye-popping.

My bet: 7 years and $70 million from Chicago.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think Jake gets over 10M. Only way I could see him signing for less would be with the 8 years which would cost any team other than the Canes a pick.

10 mil would be huge.

JT Miller at similar age coming off a 99 point season signed for 8mil AAV -7 years. = 56 mil

Not sure anyone will throw around 70 mil for Guentzel and Guentzel isnt stupid enough to sign a short term deal with an AAV of 10mil.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No team aside from the canes can sign him to 8 unless it's a sign and trade. Trading for his rights only allows you to negotiate before July1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
10 mil would be huge.

JT Miller at similar age coming off a 99 point season signed for 8mil AAV -7 years. = 56 mil

Not sure anyone will throw around 70 mil for Guentzel and Guentzel isnt stupid enough to sign a short term deal with an AAV of 10mil.

Contracts during COVID years are not applicable to contracts post-COVID years.

The cap is going up significantly this year and projects to skyrocket in the near future. Teams will be willing to pay out the ass for Guentzel because his $10 million deal won't look that bad when the cap is at $100 million in 3 years.

Skinner signed for 8 years at $9 million a year back in 2019, after he had a season with 40 goals and 63 points in 82 games. With an $88 million cap, the equivalent deal to that is a $9.96 million AAV.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Contracts during COVID years are not applicable to contracts post-COVID years.

The cap is going up significantly this year and projects to skyrocket in the near future. Teams will be willing to pay out the ass for Guentzel because his $10 million deal won't look that bad when the cap is at $100 million in 3 years.

Skinner signed for 8 years at $9 million a year back in 2019, after he had a season with 40 goals and 63 points in 82 games. With an $88 million cap, the equivalent deal to that is a $9.96 million AAV.

At 10 million AAV it will be about supply and demand.

Which teams can afford to sign Guentzel at 10mil AAV and 70mil contract. I think the market would be small at that price point.
In order for JG to get 10 mil, i think there would have to be a bidding war of multiple teams willing to pay that price. I dont think there is. Not with JG being 30 yrs old by season start.

Canucks imo would think very hard whether they would want to gut their depth and spend 10 mil on JG or lets say 10ish on a combo of Lindholm/Joshua.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
10 mil would be huge.

10 is only possible from a team that sucks or is an undesired market.
10 million+ for any winger is just silly imo.
JT said when he signed the deal he left money on the table, just another reason he deserves all the love he gets from the fans especially with how cringe the takes on him by our fan base were.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At 10 million AAV it will be about supply and demand.

Which teams can afford to sign Guentzel at 10mil AAV and 70mil contract. I think the market would be small at that price point.
In order for JG to get 10 mil, i think there would have to be a bidding war of multiple teams willing to pay that price. I dont think there is. Not with JG being 30 yrs old by season start.

Canucks imo would think very hard whether they would want to gut their depth and spend 10 mil on JG or lets say 10ish on a combo of Lindholm/Joshua.

It just takes 1 team. Chicago could absolutely offer him that kind of money. Bedard is still on his rookie deal for 2 more years and the cap will likely be around $100 million by the time Bedard is a RFA.

Guentzel has been underpaid for his entire career and seems to be looking to cash out and maximize earnings with this deal. He already has his cup and has been on a contender for his entire career. I seriously doubt he does anything but take the highest money offer.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

You would be right just by looking at him. He's not fast or strong. No dazzling moves or incredible shot. But he's incredibly intelligent and a playoff gamer. His game is on the subtle side for sure, but if you pay attention you can see what makes him so good. Wish the penguins could re-sign him but he doesn't really line up with the timeline anymore.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also this idea that there would be less of a market for Guentzel at $10 million when Nylander just signed for $11.5 million seems bizarre to me. If anything, I think Guentzel can justify going even higher than $10 million. He can easily point at the Huberdeau deal with Calgary, where Huberdeau for a $10.5 million AAV during the COVID flat cap. Or he can point at when Gaudreau signed for $9.75 million during the COVID years as well.

Thinking he'd sign for $2.5 million less than Nylander seems more unrealistic to me than thinking he can exceed $10 million on this deal.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
JFC, anybody but the Rags or the CAPS….OR the Isles or the Devils or it goes without saying the Flyers…I could stomach the Canes or CLB, but not the rest of the metro. Rest of the league needs to step up!

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It just takes 1 team. Chicago could absolutely offer him that kind of money. Bedard is still on his rookie deal for 2 more years and the cap will likely be around $100 million by the time Bedard is a RFA.

Guentzel has been underpaid for his entire career and seems to be looking to cash out and maximize earnings with this deal. He already has his cup and has been on a contender for his entire career. I seriously doubt he does anything but take the highest money offer.

Sure I can see a rebuilding team offer that kind of money. I guess its up to JG if he is fine with using up his prime years on a rebuild.

I dont see too many contending teams being able to afford 10 mil aav tho.

Dont get me wrong, I think JG will be worth the 10 mil especially with cap going up, but i think at the end of the day he signs at around 9+ but is in a situation where he is competing for a cup year in and year out for the majority of his contract especially in the prime years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure I can see a rebuilding team offer that kind of money. I guess its up to JG if he is fine with using up his prime years on a rebuild.

I dont see too many contending teams being able to afford 10 mil aav tho.

Dont get me wrong, I think JG will be worth the 10 mil especially with cap going up, but i think at the end of the day he signs at around 9+ but is in a situation where he is competing for a cup year in and year out for the majority of his contract especially in the prime years.

Again, Guentzel has his cup already and has been on a contending team his entire career. I see no reason to think he'd leave a notable amount of money on the table just to sign with a contender.

Even taking out the Nylander example, Huberdeau signed for $10.5 million and Gaudreau signed for $9.75 million on long-term deals during the COVID years. I'm really not seeing much of a justification for Guentzel going lower than that.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Also this idea that there would be less of a market for Guentzel at $10 million when Nylander just signed for $11.5 million seems bizarre to me. If anything, I think Guentzel can justify going even higher than $10 million. He can easily point at the Huberdeau deal with Calgary, where Huberdeau for a $10.5 million AAV during the COVID flat cap. Or he can point at when Gaudreau signed for $9.75 million during the COVID years as well.

Thinking he'd sign for $2.5 million less than Nylander seems more unrealistic to me than thinking he can exceed $10 million on this deal.

Think it really comes down to what Guentzel wants - if he wants to be on a team that can be a legit contender while still getting paid serious bucks, the Canucks are probably his best choice. If he wants his bag, Chicago is probably where he goes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad