Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You guys are getting sentimental.

The timing of the trade tells you all you need to know. They were planning on passing him through waivers and hoping he wouldn't get grabbed - better to get something in return. No future here and not a lot of faith on Podkolzin finding a new gear.

His peak is a 4th liner for 3 years in my mind. Offensive IQ and the pace he processes the game in general just didn't give Podkolzin much of a ceiling. But maybe I'm being harsh I hated this pick since that draft day.

Reactions: BimJenning and Wisp

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Weird but probably for the best. Always rooted for him but will likely be out of the league soon. Another Benning stank gone

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

The timing of the trade tells you all you need to know. They were planning on passing him through waivers and hoping he wouldn't get grabbed - better to get something in return. No future here and not a lot of faith on Podkolzin finding a new gear.

His peak is a 4th liner for 3 years in my mind. Offensive IQ and the pace he processes the game in general just didn't give Podkolzin much of a ceiling. But maybe I'm being harsh I hated this pick since that draft day.
I think it’s natural to be sentimental about our 1st rounders

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

Liked him early but he just didn't get his game to nhl level consistently has the size and tools like many didnt make that next step wish him well.
Need cap for guys that can play and moves later

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I've been pretty consistently incorrect about this management team. so I've become a more "wait and see" fan. When he signed the contract, I thought it suggested they saw some promise for Podz, but clearly that wasn't the case.

As others have pointed out, there's definitely attachment issues for me with this one. I'd like to wish him well, but dam ... on the Oilers? That's a hard one. I sure didn't find myself cheering for Troy.

It's difficult to watch so many high draft picks completely flame out, Benning picks or not. I can't think of a time where the Canucks drafted so high consistently, and yet the results were generally as bad as ever. My god those were dark years.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I am sad. Guy is so likeable. To be traded for a 4th means a massively reduced chance to stick in the big show over here. In the end he was left under Valeri Bragin for too long, all the creativity was squeezed out of him in order for him to conform and earn minutes.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am surprised at this. he got the pouliot fourth mid-summer. a full punt after last season.

i thought he'd get one more camp. i wonder if they are dissatisfied with his offseason training approach. or maybe he did or said something that makes him oiler worthy.

• Haha
Reactions: sting101

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This trade is a big win for the canucks and if you don't think so you should pass it to the left.

Podkolzin has been a complete bust for atleast two years and any hope of a breakout coming at any time is oiler fan level copium.

He's probably not an NHL player but at best an easily replaceable no offense energy fourth liner, whom we were going to lose for nothing in six weeks because he's not good enough at anything to make the team. He sucks and as nhl coach of the year said, doesn't have the IQ to make it in the nhl.

Clearly mgmt has had him available atleast all summer with zero interest, it's only because edms in a bind we got a rather decent pick, half a dozen better players than pod will be on waivers in eight weeks.
Smart of management to get out in front.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
This trade is a big win for the canucks and if you don't think so you should pass it to the left.

Podkolzin has been a complete bust for atleast two years and any hope of a breakout coming at any time is oiler fan level copium.

He's probably not an NHL player but at best an easily replaceable no offense energy fourth liner, whom we were going to lose for nothing in six weeks because he's not good enough at anything to make the team. He sucks and as nhl coach of the year said, doesn't have the IQ to make it in the nhl.

Clearly mgmt has had him available atleast all summer with zero interest, it's only because edms in a bind we got a rather decent pick, half a dozen better players than pod will be on waivers in eight weeks.
Smart of management to get out in front.
A big win??? Lol
It's a 4th round pick...4th!!!
His contract was completely buriable too so no gain there.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Writing was on the wall with all the depth signings, there was close to zero chance he made the roster unless he pulled a Hoglander in training camp.

Sucks seeing him go to Edmonton, but getting something for him when he was likely waiver wire fodder is more than I expected. If he didn’t have top 10 pedigree there’s no shot we get anything for him.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Look at it this way, Karlsson, Bains, Raty, and Sasson are all better prospects at this point.

Kravtsov was traded for a 7th round pick as a former 9th overall one draft year removed from Pod’s.

Middle 6 players can be signed at low cap dollars in FA every year.

Sucks he didn’t work out, but poor drafting led to this. Better a 4th now than waiver fodder this time next year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
A big win??? Lol
It's a 4th round pick...4th!!!
His contract was completely buriable too so no gain there.
Did you read/comprehend the rest of the post and apply any context or just react to buzz words?!

A top 100 ish pick is a big win compared with nothing at all in less than two months..

Replacement level healthy scratch fringe fourth liners not projected to make the roster are worth nothing, getting a fourth and not a fifth or seventh or lost on waivers is contextually a big win.

Nobody should be upset by this trade in the least.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My gawd the previous regime just sucked at drafting players. So Podkolzin is gone; and it's likely that the last few drafts of the Benning era, Jett Woo and Danila Klimovich, will soon follow.

You don't trade a former first round, top-10 pick like Podkiolzin to a division rival, unless you're convinced he doesn't have a chance to make your club in training camp and you'll lose him on waivers. So I guess a fourth rounder is better than nothing.

But does open the door, at least a crack, for someone like Bains, Raty, Karlsson or even Lekkerimaki to stick with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad