Rumor: Canucks Targeting Jake Guentzel

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jake was a great for Sid until he became a defensive liability. Sid needs a LW who can do the things Kunitz used to do. Canucks know him well and will make every attempt to sign him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Comparing Jake to Connor is fair in a sense. In today's dollars, it would put Jake at $7.8mil but I think given how much more proven Jake is in the playoffs and the lack of availability of such scorers in FA, I think that bumps him to $8-8.5mil pretty easily, which is where most of us have him.

You want to "buy" him: $9-9.5mil
Mutual interest: $8-8.5mil
Jake reeeeeeally wants to sign with a team: $7.5-8mil.

He HAD a bunch of buddies on the Vancouver team but it sounds like all former Penguins are going to FA :laugh: so that may change things a tad.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Comparing Jake to Connor is fair in a sense. In today's dollars, it would put Jake at $7.8mil but I think given how much more proven Jake is in the playoffs and the lack of availability of such scorers in FA, I think that bumps him to $8-8.5mil pretty easily, which is where most of us have him.

You want to "buy" him: $9-9.5mil
Mutual interest: $8-8.5mil
Jake reeeeeeally wants to sign with a team: $7.5-8mil.

He HAD a bunch of buddies on the Vancouver team but it sounds like all former Penguins are going to FA :laugh: so that may change things a tad.
Who has he with played before?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Referencing Jake and former Penguins on Vancouver? DeSmith, Lafferty, Bleuger, and Ian Cole. There was a story about them all hanging out when Vancouver came to town.
Ah that's right, thanks! Bluegar sounds like he'll be returning, Lafferty is still in talks, but Desmith and Cole are definitely gone.

Last I heard about Cole was he liked it here and wanted to return, but wanted 3m,which Allvin wasn't prepared to give. Sounds like his plan is to test the market and see what he can get, but both he and Allvin are open to working something out.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ah that's right, thanks! Bluegar sounds like he'll be returning, Lafferty is still in talks, but Desmith and Cole are definitely gone.

Last I heard about Cole was he liked it here and wanted to return, but wanted 3m,which Allvin wasn't prepared to give. Sounds like his plan is to test the market and see what he can get, but both he and Allvin are open to working something out.
I think Cole would be wise to take a $950k deal otherwise he might be finding himself on the outside looking in. He looked rough in the games I saw but then again, he's 35.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Feel like Jake is this year's "You're gonna regret it" signing.

Dude has averaged 1.03 PPG for the past 7 years in the regular season, and 46 points in 44 games during that span in the playoffs.

There is risk with every signing, but I am more willing to bet on players like Guentzel making $8-9M than a player like Zadarov getting $5-6M.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
JG would be a great fit for the Canucks at the right price, but we really need 2 top 6 wingers. While there aren't a ton of high end options, there are a number of proven 20-30 goal scorers available on the market that won't command the term and $ the Guenzel will.

You could likely get of 2 of Monahan, Teravainen, Duclair, Mantha, Duchesne, Toffoli for 10-12, which I feel is the better way to go.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Lots of guys are good playoff performers....until they aren't. You certainly can't count on it. You also have to be a believer in "clutch" being a real thing.

Clutch absolutely is a thing, ask anyone who has played sports at a relatively high level - it's about how you let the pressure get to you in big moments, and naturally a lot of people struggle with the pressure.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would absolutely love the Leafs to sign Guentzel then deal Marner for D or 1sts and futures. That's the exact kind of maneuvering Tree should be trying.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Clutch absolutely is a thing, ask anyone who has played sports at a relatively high level - it's about how you let the pressure get to you in big moments, and naturally a lot of people struggle with the pressure.
You’re applying subjective opinion to an event you consider clutch. But if it was a thing you could use it to predict future performance. And you can’t because it doesn’t exist. Handling pressure in a situation is no predictor that the same person will handle it again.

In your example, everyone playing high end is good. You are calling clutch what is simply a good or great player playing good or great more often than not.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Many players have been able to be as or more effective in playoff style hockey where many have struggled with it.

It's a different game against better teams.

Not everyone copes the same. Some players have the physical and mental capacity to do well while others do not and struggle. When it soaks into a players mentality that struggles it can be a huge hurdle and represent a big difference between 2 players that may have been comparable in scoring paces in track meet hockey but not so much in playoff hockey

it's a thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad