Proposal: Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (H. Lindholm and B. Bishop)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (Lindholm and Bishop)

I am of the opinion that....

1) It's much more difficult to draft/trade for/sign a good defenseman than it is to draft/trade for/sign a good center or forward.

2) Successful teams typically (but not always) build from the net out.

I am a Canucks fan, and I absolutely love Bo Horvat, but if a guy like Horvat can be used in a packaged deal to land us Hampus Lindholm, I'd seriously consider it.

To Anaheim: Bo Horvat, Ben Hutton, 2nd.
To Vancouver: Hampus Lindholm.

To Tampa Bay: Jacob Markstrom, 1st round pick
To Vancouver: Ben Bishop

Losing Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, plus high end picks would suck for obvious reasons, but consider the following:

A) Solidification in Net Long Term: With Bishop in net, the Canucks would likely be solidified in goal for a VERY long time. You can then allow Demko to develop slowly and comfortably. If Demko lives up to his promise, you can then move one of Bishop or Demko when the time comes.

B) Solidification on Defense Long Term: With Lindholm here, the Canucks would have one of the best defenseman in the league. In a few years, it's also possible that Olli Juolevi becomes a very good defenseman and adds to the defensive prowess.

Canucks - potential superstars on defense (or already are superstars)
-Lindholm
-Juolevi

Canucks - potential superstars in goal (or already are superstars)
-Bishop
-Demko

With the Canucks likely set in both net and on D for a very long time, the Canucks can then hyper-target forwards with drafting, signings, etc., etc. to round out their team. Moving Edler at some point to either recoup one of the high end picks or get help up front would be a good start.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ducks do not do that deal and I do not see the Nucks doing the Bishop deal

Bishop is 10 months away from UFA and TB has their future number 1 on the roster

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I don't think the ANA one is as bad as people are saying. Hutton is top 4 already with more upside and Horvat is the real deal. I'm not overly familiar with ANA's roster, but I'd guess they'd put Horvat at 3C and move Rakell to LW.

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
As a Canucks fan I think you have to overpay for an asset like Hampus Lindholm. Like OVERPAY.

Horvat/Virtanen+Juolevi+Hutton might interest them, but I wouldn't know of their needs.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don't think the ANA one is as bad as people are saying. Hutton is top 4 already with more upside and Horvat is the real deal. I'm not overly familiar with ANA's roster, but I'd guess they'd put Horvat at 3C and move Rakell to LW.

That's exactly the problem. Ducks downgrade huge on defence for another piece (Horvat) which they don't need

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
As a Canucks fan I think you have to overpay for an asset like Hampus Lindholm. Like OVERPAY.

Horvat/Virtanen+Juolevi+Hutton might interest them, but I wouldn't know of their needs.

I'd consider Horvat, Virtanen, and Hutton to be perfectly honest.

If the Ducks are looking for a more immediate piece on defense given their window, then do Horvat, Edler, and Virtanen.

Again - I don't want to upset my fellow Canuck fans as I also recognize the importance of prospect accumulation (especially at the stage we're at), but Lindholm is Lindholm.

Lindholm has a legit shot of being a Norris Trophy winner one day. At some point, even a rebuilding team has to consider the idea of trading 4 green houses for a red hotel.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
That's a pretty interesting deal. Of course people are living in the past with regards to Getzlaf and Kesler and think the Ducks are set at center, in truth the Ducks need to replace one of those very soon.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't think the value is that bad for Ben Bishop. I mean, the dude is often injured, having been sat out the last two Stanley Cup playoffs because of injury, and is a year away from UFA status. Tampa Bay essentially gets a mid first round pick and a backup goaltender as a result. I would do that deal if I was Steve Yzerman. The only problem on Vancouver's end is they have nobody to man the net until Thatcher Demko is ready. With a team on the cusp of beginning the rebuild like the Canucks are, I would be loath to give up first round picks.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (Lindholm and Bishop)

I am of the opinion that....

1) It's much more difficult to draft/trade for/sign a good defenseman than it is to draft/trade for/sign a good center or forward.

2) Successful teams typically (but not always) build from the net out.

I am a Canucks fan, and I absolutely love Bo Horvat, but if a guy like Horvat can be used in a packaged deal to land us Hampus Lindholm, I'd seriously consider it.

To Anaheim: Bo Horvat, Ben Hutton, 2nd.
To Vancouver: Hampus Lindholm.

To Tampa Bay: Jacob Markstrom, 1st round pick
To Vancouver: Ben Bishop

Losing Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, plus high end picks would suck for obvious reasons, but consider the following:

A) Solidification in Net Long Term: With Bishop in net, the Canucks would likely be solidified in goal for a VERY long time. You can then allow Demko to develop slowly and comfortably. If Demko lives up to his promise, you can then move one of Bishop or Demko when the time comes.

B) Solidification on Defense Long Term: With Lindholm here, the Canucks would have one of the best defenseman in the league. In a few years, it's also possible that Olli Juolevi becomes a very good defenseman and adds to the defensive prowess.

Canucks - potential superstars on defense (or already are superstars)
-Lindholm
-Juolevi

Canucks - potential superstars in goal (or already are superstars)
-Bishop
-Demko

With the Canucks likely set in both net and on D for a very long time, the Canucks can then hyper-target forwards with drafting, signings, etc., etc. to round out their team. Moving Edler at some point to either recoup one of the high end picks or get help up front would be a good start.
Anaheim hang's up the phone laughing at that pathetic offer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would Bishop sign in Vancouver? They are arguably further away from a cup than almost anyone in the NHL certainly anyone in Canada

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah, Bishop isn't being moved unless you overpay for him. Tampa's in win-now mode and Bishop gives them their best chance at winning a cup, simply put.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Bishop for Markstrom and what could be a top 10 pick isn't overpayment? It's not like Markstrom is a cap dump. He has shown he can play.

The value for Lindholm seems a bit short from Vancouver. But I don't think a trade like that would happen. Horvat and Hutton are too important and don't have as much value to other teams as they do to us. Even if it's an underpayment, I wouldn't want to do that deal. We don't have enough prospects to justify trading away 2 important pieces yet. Especially a center and LD. It's not efficient team building in my eyes.

And we can always argue, since Larsson got Taylor Hall, Lindholm could get you... a lot more than the Canucks have to offer.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That ducks deal is spot on in value. Actually imo it favors the ducks slightly.

Hutton is gonna be a top2 guy in the next 3 years imo

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
That ducks deal is spot on in value. Actually imo it favors the ducks slightly.

Hutton is gonna be a top2 guy in the next 3 years imo

Says a fan of the team getting the best piece, by a lot. You can't just add up smaller pieces and say the value is there. A d-man with the potential that Lindholm has, doesn't go for that package.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Tampa isn't trading their elite goaltender for a backup and a draft pick. Those do nothing to help a Stanley Cup contending team.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Huge **** no on both deals.

Sedin
Sutter
Granlund
Gaunce

Would be our future centre depth and Lindholm, although a great Dman, isn't worth trading our #2 young centre and #4 up and coming puck moving Dman of our own

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
No on the Ducks offer, Lindholm is too important for us. And if you want too pry Bishop out of Tampa, they have a very specific need. Offer them a RH PPQB on ELC that is NHL ready. That is literally the only thing Tampa needs for this season.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
No on the Ducks offer, Lindholm is too important for us. And if you want too pry Bishop out of Tampa, they have a very specific need. Offer them a RH PPQB on ELC that is NHL ready. That is literally the only thing Tampa needs for this season.

You bring a tear to this fan's eye. :salute:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad