Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Jiri Patera to 2-Year, 2-Way Contract ($775K)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Figured this could use its own thread.

Seems like a starter 1A/1B type for Abbotsford. Splitting time with Tolopilo, while maybe pushing Silovs for the backup role?

Ty Young was signed as well. So, one of Silovs/Tolopilo will backup in Van. The other would then be the 3rd goalie on the depth chart and AHL starter. See which of the 2 Young/Patera wins the backup role in Abby.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I was expecting this signing to have a bit more NHL experience tbh. No need go question goalie signings around here though, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was expecting this signing to have a bit more NHL experience tbh. No need go question goalie signings around here though, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Yeah, good platoon guy for Abbotsford but I was expecting more of a Martin Jones type with lots of experience if Silovs faltered as opposed to another youngish guy with even less NHL experience than Silovs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like this signing. The rumors of DeSmith returning worried me.
Kind of shocked that DeSmith got a three year deal at $1m a year. Patera is a lot younger and a lot bigger......and has a chance to develop in Abbotsford. Seems to Canucks find a goaltender somewhere every year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, good platoon guy for Abbotsford but I was expecting more of a Martin Jones type with lots of experience if Silovs faltered as opposed to another youngish guy with even less NHL experience than Silovs.

Yeah. This would've made sense. But i guess a lot of those guys have been scooped up in places where there's a potentially somewhat clearer path to the NHL. Silovs is young and unproven, but coming off that playoff run...i can see that scaring more veteran guys off pretty good. And it's clear t that even at the AHL level, Clark is going to want to work with his young "projects" and get them lots of playing time. So...maybe not as enticing for that kind of goaltender, as it is for a younger guy like Patera who now gets the chance to work with a master.

I think guys like Jones and Lankinen still sitting there, are probably just sitting back to survey the landscape closer to camp. See where injuries might pop up to give them a legit shot at NHL games. Vancouver isn't an attractive spot for those types...unless something really bad happens.

Kind of shocked that DeSmith got a three year deal at $1m a year. Patera is a lot younger and a lot bigger......and has a chance to develop in Abbotsford. Seems to Canucks find a goaltender somewhere every year.

I thought that was a little curious too, in looking at where DeSmith landed. But it's a buriable contract and i'd think he pretty deliberately signed it with a team that has their farm just a couple hours down the road with the Stars. So even if he's replaced and sent to the AHL by the end of this deal...he still won't have to pack up his life and move or anything. It's a dirt cheap deal for Dallas on a rock solid low-maintenance backup in the meantime.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks signed Patera to a two-year contract.....something even Casey DeSmith didn't get out of the Vancouver Canucks. So clearly they see something in him.

And Ian Clark has a penchant for taking decent goaltenders and molding them into far better ones. Abbotsford net is in good hands with Tolopilo and Patera.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks signed Patera to a two-year contract.....something even Casey DeSmith didn't get out of the Vancouver Canucks. So clearly they see something in him.

And Ian Clark has a penchant for taking decent goaltenders and molding them into far better ones. Abbotsford net is in good hands with Tolopilo and Patera.

I imagine they gave him the second year with a high minors salary to make it less likely another team claims him if they have to move him up and down through waivers.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I imagine they gave him the second year with a high minors salary to make it less likely another team claims him if they have to move him up and down through waivers.
puckpedia has it at 775/400 nhl/ahl both seasons from what i see

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Ty Young was signed as well. So, one of Silovs/Tolopilo will backup in Van. The other would then be the 3rd goalie on the depth chart and AHL starter. See which of the 2 Young/Patera wins the backup role in Abby.

Believe Young can still play junior hockey for one more year. Is Prince George already making plans for him moving up to pro hockey?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Believe Young can still play junior hockey for one more year. Is Prince George already making plans for him moving up to pro hockey?

I would guess that with Ravensbergen being their undisputed No. 1, Young and the Canucks would look for him to go pro if PG doesn't move him. If PG moves him to somewhere where he would get more playing time, I think their preference would be for him to remain in junior this year.

Reactions: touchnotthecat

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Interesting that the Canucks gave Patera a two-year contract. Obviously they want to give him the opportunity to work with Ian Clark for more than one season, to see what they really have.

He was a solid goaltender for the Henderson Silver Knights who've been bottom-feeders in the AHL Pacific Division for the past couple of seasons. So on a lot of night he's had to make a ton of saves to keep his team in the game. And in a very limited sample size, played reasonably well during his callups to Vegas.

Hopefully he can split the starts in Abbotsford next season with Tolopilo, and is a consideration for an injury callup in Vancouver.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
TO allude to Mr. C, I think he's a good "pusher" for Silovs, but what's Silovs status? I thought he earned a look as backup next year. Say what you will, the man took us within two shots of the conference finals. There's obviously something there to nurture and possibly dump for value?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I rather have DiPietro.
I rather have DiPietro.
Really? I'm not sure Ian Clark shares your opinion. After he left Abbotsford in that trade with the Bruins, DiPietro spent most of the 2022-23 season with the Maine Mariners of the ECHL. And last season he played 30 games with the Providence Bruins. So at this juncture, at best he's an AHL goalie.

The Canucks are far better off with Tolopilo and Patera in Abbotsord.

Reactions: bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
FWIW, Dipietro won at a higher rate and had a higher sv% this past season.
Hard to compare....because the Providence Bruins were one of the top teams in the AHL Atlantic Division. Whereas Patera played a lions share of the games for the lowly Henderson Silver Knights, who were near the bottom of the Pacific.

And Patera played pretty well in a brief call-up to Vegas, while DiPetro didn't get a sniff of the NHL. And Patera is much bigger goalie at 6'3" and 212. Obviously Ian Clark and the Canucks saw a lot more potential in him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really? I'm not sure Ian Clark shares your opinion. After he left Abbotsford in that trade with the Bruins, DiPietro spent most of the 2022-23 season with the Maine Mariners of the ECHL. And last season he played 30 games with the Providence Bruins. So at this juncture, at best he's an AHL goalie.

The Canucks are far better off with Tolopilo and Patera in Abbotsord.

And Patera played pretty well in a brief call-up to Vegas, while DiPetro didn't get a sniff of the NHL. And Patera is much bigger goalie at 6'3" and 212. Obviously Ian Clark and the Canucks saw a lot more potential in him.

First off, we don't know what Ian Clark thinks of DiPietro vs Patera. There was a management change and the team had Martin, Silovs and later Delia. There was no room for him. One would think that under a different management team, the Canucks would have slotted Martin in as the backup goalie and DiPietro and Silovs would be the main goalies in Abbotsford. But after signing Delia there was no room for DiPietro. I think somewhere the decision was made that DiPietro wasn't going to be a goalie of the future.

Dipietro was obviously the more highly regarded goalie in their respective draft year than Patera and Dipietro seems to have turned the corner in his development. Don't forget that we drafted DiPietro in the first place. Clark doesn't often likes smaller-sized goalies. And Team Canada obviously identified him as potentially the Next One.

Second of all (not that Dipietro was first in line for a callup), the Bruins had two top goalies who managed to stay healthy. Vegas has had injury problems.

Third of all, Clark isn't infallible.

Speaking of Clark...

I believe Ian Clark when he says DiPietro will be an NHL goaltender.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously Ian Clark isn't infallible. But the Canuck brain-trust relies on him heavily and almost exclusively when it comes to the drafting, development and trading for or getting rid of goaltenders.

At one time Clark may have been convinced that DiPietro could be an NHL goalie, despite his size disadvantage. But clearly a couple of years in the AHL with Utica and Abbotsford changed his mind. DiPietro just wasn't very good.

The reality is, in today's NHL it's just extremely difficult to make it as a 6' goalie. There are a few that have, like Juuse Saros who is under 6' or Igor Shesterkin who's only 6'1" and Alexander Georgiev, who's the same size.

But shorter goalies from Canada? Not very likely. Canada isn't producing very good goalies anyway. So it really doesn't matter how good DiPietro was in junior. He might get a callup to the Bruins this year, with Linus Ullmark now in Ottawa. But at this point, he's an AHL journeyman, pure and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad