Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Johnston had 9 fights last year which was among league leaders (I believe Des lead the league with 11). So I reject the premise that Johnston can't/doesn't find dance partners.

Relatedly, Strome had 3 fights, Gudas 4, and Carrick 9 (two of which were for Edm).
Not the point. Ross is generally fighting other enforcers. The cheap shot guys are willing to fight a guy like Strome, but aren’t going to fight a 6’5 235 lb man who enjoys punching faces.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Not the point. Ross is generally fighting other enforcers. The cheap shot guys are willing to fight a guy like Strome, but aren’t going to fight a 6’5 235 lb man who enjoys punching faces.
This is what you said:

One thing to note is opposing players are willing to fight Carrick and Strome. They won’t fight Johnston, so he would have to take an instigator penalty and then everyone would be mad at him for taking an extra penalty.

So, objectively, guys are willing to fight Johnston. And the cheap shot guys sometimes are in fact the heavyweights (Rempe, Wilson, Reaves, etc.).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
One thing to note is opposing players are willing to fight Carrick and Strome. They won’t fight Johnston, so he would have to take an instigator penalty and then everyone would be mad at him for taking an extra penalty.
This is valid, but I’d actually be fine with the instigator on the actual cheap shots. Beat the piss out of them.

My big problem is his cream puff hits. He has the speed and anticipation to land big hits, then does not. He has a high hit count for this team, but his hits aren’t useful.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
This is valid, but I’d actually be fine with the instigator on the actual cheap shots. Beat the piss out of them.

My big problem is his cream puff hits. He has the speed and anticipation to land big hits, then does not. He has a high hit count for this team, but his hits aren’t useful.
It’s been a couple of years since we’ve had to deal with blatant cheap shots. Johnston is definitely a factor in that.

Reactions: Dirk316

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It’s been a couple of years since we’ve had to deal with blatant cheap shots. Johnston is definitely a factor in that.
Again, I disagree and feel like there are still blatant cheap shots being taken. Strome, Gudas, and Carrick weren’t in so many fights because they were staging them.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Again, I disagree and feel like there are still blatant cheap shots being taken. Strome, Gudas, and Carrick weren’t in so many fights because they were staging them.

Ross has been on the team for 1 year, so there’s zero shot he’s contributed to the statement “it’s been a couple of years…”. Unless of course, players can tell the future that the Ducks would eventually sign Ross to seek revenge to all past wrong doings. He’s a f***ing plug, not saying he doesn’t have a role but he should only be put in to the lineup against teams who ice other enforcers who would actually fight him or to seek revenge(which he doesn’t do like Manson used to).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Those big hits help to potentially wear down opponents. Ross can be more useful in his limited TOI, even if he doesn't fight. His body is built for it too! What a waste, really. Can't wait for Solberg to get to NHL ice for us!

Reactions: Ducks DVM

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
It would be really easy for somebody like Vatrano to give a non-answer to this, so it's cool to see him be so vocal.

I'm sorry for saying we should trade you at the TDL, Frank.
I want to agree, but my skepticism keeps getting in the way. There's no downside to making a statement like that—it’s a smart move at this pivotal moment in his career.

I love the guy and hope he stays for a few more years. However, if Verbeek can’t secure a good deal before this deadline, the smart move is to trade him.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Cliff notes?

He got married to a girl he's dated for 5+ years at a really fancy/expensive resort in Napa. Lots of his TBL teammates were there - no mention of ducks teammates that I saw. They danced, they laughed, they drank, they engaged in somewhat sophomoric man behavior. The couple got married then did shot.

Then it appears they sold wedding pictures to get back some of the cost of a very expensive wedding.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
He got married to a girl he's dated for 5+ years at a really fancy/expensive resort in Napa. Lots of his TBL teammates were there - no mention of ducks teammates that I saw. They danced, they laughed, they drank, they engaged in somewhat sophomoric man behavior. The couple got married then did shot.

Then it appears they sold wedding pictures to get back some of the cost of a very expensive wedding.
He got married.. No ducks players kind of sucks but whatever..

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Inviting a co worker to your wedding a year into knowing them is not all that common. Especially considering most of the ducks are in a different age group than he is. Not too surprising.

While I agree with the sentiment of this post, reducing a hockey team to "co workers" is really underselling it. These guys literally eat, sleep, and shit together for months on end. They should be much tighter after a year than typical co workers.

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
While I agree with the sentiment of this post, reducing a hockey team to "co workers" is really underselling it. These guys literally eat, sleep, and shit together for months on end. They should be much tighter after a year than typical co workers.
I also slept with a coworker of mine in the past. Ultimately, I decided it was best not to invite her to my wedding

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Woke up this morning, realized ross Johnson is a terrible hockey player, thought you all should know

Reactions: HanSolo

Ad

Ad

Ad