Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign forward Vilmer Alriksson to 3 year ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I like it.

It sets a standard for future training camps that if you compete hard you can play yourself towards a ELC. Guaranteed they will use this example next year in prospect camp when talking about the expectations that the organization has.
I think it’s more like, if you work hard in the offseason and make notable improvements to your game, then management will roll the dice on you with a ELC.

It was reported he came into camp at 237 so he'd have slim down a bit
His build should be more around 250, like Zadorov’s weight.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I didn’t understand the early signing of Mynio and Kud, but both have shown significant progress since then. Maybe they were able to gain access to better training and nutrition with the money, or perhaps it’s simply motivated them by giving them a clearer vision of their careers. While the sample size is small, I’m willing to give the management the benefit of the doubt when the stakes are so low.

By the way, Alriksson has an intriguing skill set, and it’s not as though we've been getting standout performances from college/junior free agents.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I didn’t understand the early signing of Mynio and Kud, but both have shown significant progress since then. Maybe they were able to gain access to better training and nutrition with the money, or perhaps it’s simply motivated them by giving them a clearer vision of their careers. While the sample size is small, I’m willing to give the management the benefit of the doubt when the stakes are so low.

By the way, Alriksson has an intriguing skill set, and it’s not as though we've been getting standout performances from college/junior free agents.

The flip side is Young, who seemed like a risky signing and hasn’t been encouraging so far.

It’s a curious league-wide trend. I assume there’s some benefit that teams seem to have data on or a belief in that we just don’t.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
The flip side is Young, who seemed like a risky signing and hasn’t been encouraging so far.

It’s a curious league-wide trend. I assume there’s some benefit that teams seem to have data on or a belief in that we just don’t.

You're 100% right. Young signing was definitely my least favorite, as noted in my previous comment below. It seemed like the contract was awarded without him ever showing the type of performance that justifies it—unlike Mynio, Kud, and Alriksson, who each showed at least some promise at the time of their signings.

Although I'm not skilled at assessing goalies, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease when watching Young play. It seemed like there was more scrambling compared to Tolopilo.

The G position seems to be the least concerning issue for this team. After reading about the potential cap savings (which I suspect won't be substantial), I could at least try to understand the management's rationale behind signing Mynio. However, I can't understand this signing as I don't see him ever making the team during this contract.

Reactions: Vector

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Vilmer definitely earned it at camp, he’s very raw but there’s a lot more to it with how responsive he is to coaches and the conversations that we might not have access to

I remember Adam Gaudette’s first camp and he trucked Pettersson behind the net and after the game he gave one of the best quotes I’ve ever heard from a prospect “he might have been the fifth overall pick and I might have been in the fifth round but we’re playing on the same ice” and you want that mentality

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I’m not sure which article I read yesterday, but the reason Alriksson was supposedly signed (again aside from the physical skills they like) is that they loved his commitment to work on all of the stuff the development staff has asked him to work on.

Here it is:

But the key to Alriksson getting a contract is how coachable he is. Alriksson came into camp having applied everything the Canucks wanted him to over the past year.

Reactions: MarkMM

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Looks like a reward/signing bonus for his Young Stars and training camp performance.

But I still think his upcoming OHL season is make or break for any NHL optimism. 0.5 PPG last year doesn't cut it.

Could be a wasted contract slot but the team seems enthusiastic to work with him.
as others have stated, not a wasted contract slot. He is going back to juniors, therefore his contract will slide.

Reactions: theguardianII

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't love this.

You don't get a better contract by signing him early. ELCs are standardized. The downside to signing a 33 point junior player early is much greater to any downside that comes from waiting to see if there is an uptick in performance this year.

If he comes out with 15 points in his first 12 OHL games, great. Sign him. But signing him 'because you liked his offseason commitment' sounds like a Ron Delorme quote. Sign players because they play well enough to have pro potential. And that hasn't happened yet for Alriksson.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
as others have stated, not a wasted contract slot. He is going back to juniors, therefore his contract will slide.

it may not count this season but if he regresses or fails to improve this season it could definitely be a wasted slot for the subsequent 3 years. think bloom or klimovich

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
it may not count this season but if he regresses or fails to improve this season it could definitely be a wasted slot for the subsequent 3 years. think bloom or klimovich

The Ty Young signing was the most recent oddly early one we've done and that looks like a wasted contract slot as well.

Bloom/Klimovich/Young/Hirose/Glover are basically 5 dead contract slots this year which is not ideal. It's probably why Abbotsford weren't able to add a high-end veteran or two to round out their roster.

Reactions: credulous

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Ty Young signing was the most recent oddly early one we've done and that looks like a wasted contract slot as well.

Bloom/Klimovich/Young/Hirose/Glover are basically 5 dead contract slots this year which is not ideal. It's probably why Abbotsford weren't able to add a high-end veteran or two to round out their roster.

And Hirose’s the only one that expires. These ELCs stick around for a long time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Something I'll also add is that what we're started to see (and I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of) with a lot of these late-round/fringe type CHL prospects is teams avoiding the 3-year ELC by giving the player an AHL deal and then only signing him if he actually performs at the pro level.

Jared Davidson with Montreal last year is an example, although they still held his rights because he was an overage draftee.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Something I'll also add is that what we're started to see (and I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of) with a lot of these late-round/fringe type CHL prospects is teams avoiding the 3-year ELC by giving the player an AHL deal and then only signing him if he actually performs at the pro level.

Jared Davidson with Montreal last year is an example, although they still held his rights because he was an overage draftee.

Ben King with the Ducks as another example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad