Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Kiefer Sherwood to 2-Year, $1.5M AAV Deal

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Torres is a giant piece of shit? What did he do for you to say that?

Maybe I would have picked different words to describe him but:

Torres retired after a controversial career that included a 41-game suspension for an illegal check to the head of Jakob Silfverberg of the Anaheim Ducks. This was the longest suspension in NHL history for a hit on another player. Torres never played another NHL game after the suspension and was unsigned in free agency.

Torres was also fined three times and suspended five times for a total of 74 games.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
i see him as the latest in a continuum from young matt cooke, pre-sedins burrows, honey badger, roussel, and motte

man it’s been too long since we’ve had a guy like that

but also, man i loved the young matt cooke
He plays the game with a lot more honor than Matt Cooke.

Hell of a good signing along with Lankinen. Debrusk and Heinen look solid.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Another notch in our fanbases favourite type of player. Dont have to be the most skilled, just try and give your all

Well he also has to be effective for his cap hit which he is. I would actually say that we (the Canucks fan base here) appreciates players like Sherwood to a lesser extent than other fan bases. Take Cooke for example. He was awesome here and a fan favourite in his time here but a lot of posters here forget that. The same goes for a guy like Hansen who outperformed his contract most of his time here. But if you ask Dallas fans about Roussel or Columbus fans about Dorsett they appreciate the two more than we appreciate Cooke for example.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You said "dont think that makes any sense at all to separate" [the player from the person].

Why don't you explain what you mean if interpreted your post wrong.
You add it all up.

You are just ignoring the player side? Its not like what happens in the rink is fiction.

I would understand if he was Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You add it all up.

You are just ignoring the player side? Its not like what happens in the rink is fiction.

I would understand if he was Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

Hypothetically, let's go with "you add it all up." How much do you apportion a player's on-ice "illegal" checks to the head vs how the player treats his teammates on the ice, locker room, and off the ice vs how the player is as as human being off the ice?

And what do you think of enforcers whose job involves intimidating/bullying other players and punching someone's face repeatedly/hurting people?

Hockey, like other sports, is just a game. Will you celebrate your hockey hero if he is a rapist and or murderer?

Is it impossible to say that a player is a great person but a dirty hockey player (I'm saying this generally)?

Reactions: MS

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hypothetically, let's go with "you add it all up." How much do you apportion a player's on-ice "illegal" checks to the head vs how the player treats his teammates on the ice, locker room, and off the ice vs how the player is as as human being off the ice?

And what do you think of enforcers whose job involves intimidating/bullying other players and punching someone's face repeatedly/hurting people?

Hockey, like other sports, is just a game. Will you celebrate your hockey hero if he is a rapist and or murderer?

Is it impossible to say that a player is a great person but a dirty hockey player (I'm saying this generally)?
Is it possible to say someone is a great person but a mean drunk?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes I think so.
Ok. So we disagree on a very fundamental level on this then.
Now answer my questions instead of being evasive. Thanks.
Not being evasive at all.
Why on earth would I???

We just found out where our way of seeing the world differes by a wide margin. So my question, that was lead from your original post, actually got us to the end much faster.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ok. So we disagree on a very fundamental level on this then.

Not being evasive at all.
Why on earth would I???

We just found out where our way of seeing the world differes by a wide margin. So my question, that was lead from your original post, actually got us to the end much faster.

I think there probably needs to be some nuance to this. I don’t think being a shit disturber on the ice makes you a bad person (say, a Burrows type), but I think it’s hard to defend guys who constantly cross the line and endanger others. Just like being a bit of a dick at times when someone drinks doesn’t make them a bad person but being an abusive drunk does.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The logical next step for this would be that Gino Odjick did several things on the ice that were worse than Torres ever did, but I'm pretty sure nobody would be cool with calling Gino 'trash' or 'a piece of shit' or whatever.

The NHL had a seismic shift from 2005-2010 and hits/plays that were celebrated and put into NHL marketing in 2000 were suddenly 20-game suspensions in 2010.

Guys like Scott Stevens were lucky enough to retire before this shift happened but players like Torres and Cooke ended up in a strange position where they were vilified in the 2nd half of their careers for the exact same things that they were celebrated for in the first half.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think there probably needs to be some nuance to this. I don’t think being a shit disturber on the ice makes you a bad person (say, a Burrows type), but I think it’s hard to defend guys who constantly cross the line and endanger others. Just like being a bit of a dick at times when someone drinks doesn’t make them a bad person but being an abusive drunk does.
Sounds about right.

But you cant "separate the drunk from the person" any more than the player.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I would separate the player from the person. I see you're referring to his on ice headhunting.

I mean, yeah, aside from him being kind of notoriously a, uh, nasally-turbocharged douchebag from junior onward (allegedly), who also somehow decided to do blackface in like the 2010s, got specifically sent to not his team’s AHL affiliate despite them being in the same city, and reportedly had teammates asking that he not be brought back despite being great in his role, I’d also suggest that his on-ice behaviour was egregious enough to cross the line where it becomes a genuine mark against his character.

Obviously on ice and off ice are different realms, but when you can’t stop making extremely predatory hits with no regard to the wellbeing of your peers to the point that you’re effectively kicked out of the league, then it’s likely something that crosses over.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I recall Cooke's forechecking and offensive instincts, ie positioning, being better. But overall what Sherwood contributes for 1.5 over a generic 900k bottom-six signing is enormous.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Guys like Scott Stevens were lucky enough to retire before this shift happened
Just escaping condemnation is one thing, but it went so much farther. Some of the most violent players were literal folk heroes and it would have made the jukebox record scratch to a stop if anyone said they were shitty people. For example, Marty McSorely before poleaxing Brashear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad