Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
He did very well last year, especially at even strength.

But that term and average is risky business. Is there a deal in place to move some cap..? I'm confused by the direction of the team right now. Is Jimbo back in town smh

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Comparison would be Jannik Hansen. WOOF.

If we're calling balls and strikes, this is a certified Jimbo special minus the extra year or 2. Unreal that this team is hardballing/trading Miller or Garland to make room for a player like this, especially when that player is more of a tweener rather than a legit top-6 guy.

Bad acquisition, especially if he doesn't maintain a 20-25 goal pace.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
They have to making some trades after adding a contract like this. At first blush that seems like a free agent overpay for speed and PK ability. eh

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm not familiar with the player enough to know how he'll fit here. But from a team building perspective, adding another middle-six winger with the holes on defense/center seems crazy to me. If they have a trade queued up for Garland then it starts to make more sense.

Reactions: Play

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't get it. That's a lot for a middle 6 tweener, who we already are overloaded on, while leaving our awful cap situation worse. This money should have been going to D.

Reactions: Bubbles

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Holy shit boys step off the ledge...guy has been trending up non-stop since he came to the NHL. He's been brought in for his speed and special teams ability and clearly it means another move is on the way with one of our top 9 wingers. Probably nice to add another Russian with some NHL experience for Kuzmenko/Podkolzin as well. Let's give him a chance before calling this a garbage signing.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In regards to the Hansen comparison, Hansen’s caphit prorated to today’s salary cap would be 3.2. Mikheyev makes 1.5 more than that.

Better be hoping for a lot more than Hansen, especially in a world where middle six wingers frequently get squeezed.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Comparison would be Jannik Hansen. WOOF.

If we're calling balls and strikes, this is a certified Jimbo special minus the extra year or 2. Unreal that this team is hardballing/trading Miller or Garland to make room for a player like this, especially when that player is more of a tweener rather than a legit top-6 guy.

Bad acquisition, especially if he doesn't maintain a 20-25 goal pace.
3.89% vs 5.9%. Ouch but needs more context

Hansen never made it to UFA and never put up the stats or impact that Mikheyev has. Also Hansen had a strong MNTC which I don't think Mikheyev is going to get

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
What scares me is that management might be thinking about seriously keeping Miller and running our top 3Cs back with all of these wingers.

Reactions: Bubbles

Nov 1, 2011
This is one ugly contract.

The management team just blew all their goodwill.

• Haha
Reactions: Play

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Like the player alot but that contract looks dangggerous

Gotta think Pearson is gone now
That was my first thought. He might not be better/more productive than Pearson but his speed will change the look of the team on the ice when he's out there. Agree with the first point as well.
It's an early free agent madness signing. The term and AAV reflect that.
Most GM's should be kidnapped and held hostage for at least 2 days at the start of free agency... for the good of the team

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Not sure about this one. Willing to see what happens next before judging it. Like others have said this means a trade is inevitable

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
3.89% vs 5.9%. Ouch but needs more context

Hansen never made it to UFA and never put up the stats or impact that Mikheyev has. Also Hansen had a strong MNTC which I don't think Mikheyev is going to get
This team has no cap. People are complaining about Pearson at 3.25 for 2 more years, but without a doubt I would take that for what he provides relative to his hit than this guy at 4.75

They should have tapped out once his ask passed 4 million. You are betting HARD on the fact he is young and will score at a 20+ pace again. If he's a 15 goal 35 point player, his contract will be a massive disappointment. Guys like Copp and Trochek went for 5.625 each. Mikheyev is absolutely not 90% of those guys.

Reactions: Quinton Byfield

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
This contract seems a bit rich, but I think I will hold off on reacting till we see what Garland is traded for. If we can get some good assets for Garland, it could be a smart move. A slightly smaller cap hit, a larger more defensive-minded winger + additional assets for Garland for basically free.

Treefingers

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 21, 2006
Vancouver
I think this is a good signing. Maybe the AAV is a bit high, but Mikheyev is pretty much an exact fit for what this management group stated they were after. Obviously we'll have to move someone out to make this all fit...hopefully that isn't Garland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad