Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm probably higher on Mikheyev than most people: Solid ES scoring, high work rate, fast, good defensively.

That said, I don't get why this is necessary. Someone is going to need to get moved.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Seems like a lot of AAV, but guess itmdoes give us some elite speed on the roster. Lazar and Mikhey make us faster.

Gonna wait to see if this knocks some other dominoes over before deciding if I like this deal or not, but don't get a good first impression.
I thought the knock on Lazar was his skating. I mean it's adequate but I wouldn't say it's a plus trait

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So overall I don't mind the contract at all. Fills a need in terms of changing how the wings are played. Greatly improves the PK, adds speed, and even strength scoring. Kind of the exact opposite player as Boeser. The problem is there are now about 17 wings, the defence is still bad, there's no real 3C solution, and their are now have absolutely no cap space.

So something else needs to happen.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ok the AAV and term I cant get behind...

This team, under new management, is going to a weird f***in direction so far.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Good player, but signing UFA's coming off of career highs usually doesn't turn out great. If he reverts back to "stone hands" like Leafs fans have been saying before this past season then this will look bad. Plus the last thing this team needs is another winger.

I would've passed on this pretty easily.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Great player, definitely adds a lot of sorely needed speed, and the term and price are palatable for a play driving top-6 winger.

But this makes the:
a) inaction on trading Miller
b) the Boeser contract
c) not moving Pearson, Garland, or even Hoglander
d) signing Kuzmenko as the #1 priority
e) drafting a smallish scoring winger at #15

all look worse / less valuable.

Reactions: bossram

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
This seems like a reasonable contract, maybe a bit high, for what the team is getting. He addresses a lot of the team's weaknesses.

But this team needs more value contracts, not FMV contracts, and wing is the only area of depth so committing money there doesn't make much sense.

That said, there must be another shoe (or two) to drop. They can't maintain the charade that they want to re-sign Miller and Horvat with this much money tied up in 2023/24.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So overall I don't mind the contract at all. Fills a need in terms of changing how the wings are played. Greatly improves the PK, adds speed, and even strength scoring. Kind of the exact opposite player as Boeser. The problem is there are now about 17 wings, the defence is still bad, there's no real 3C solution, and their are now have absolutely no cap space.

So something else needs to happen.
Been clear for months that Rutherford, Allvin and BB see Miller as a center.

This move and the lack of moving out multiple wingers (which they should be moving at least two of right now) would indicate that to me.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Same
Likes the player, but the cap hit is 1.5m too high to my liking

Also there has to be a trade at this point

yeah he would be ideal on 3x5, but thats a pipe dream since the player wants a larger role.

I don't think the contract is that much of an overpay. Increasing the term to lower the AV is something that might have been better?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Cant speak to the contract, all I know is the leafs board liked him and did not want to lose him, but they also did not want to pay him this much money.

Will be interesting.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Needs to be pointed out how this was not leaked at all. There was minor speculation, weeks ago, that the Canucks might be interested but he'd be in high demand.

Then they just announce the signing themselves.

Reactions: MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Incredulous Leaf fans on the main boards are asking if Benning is still here...lol...massive overpayment, apparently

I dont know much about this player...middle 6 player..He had 21 goals last year...Is he that much better value than Pearson who was trending 15-20 goal scorer at $3M..?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Francesco is playing with his toy and JR is a complete f***ing moron. The GM/AGM's are puppets and our analytics team are there for show.

Yep, this is what I have believed from the beginning. Everyone was telling me "Oh, JR has enough clout to tell Aqua to back off"...while forgetting that JR was looking for a hockey job for a year and no-one came calling.

This is a Benning type move that people would have ripped him apart for, and some here are saying it's a solid move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad