Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
1000058202.jpg

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It's good that sprong is a buddy with EP. It suggests there shouldn't be any character or locker room concerns with him

I'm a little concerned that EP on a potential line with Sprong and Debrusk, he will try to set them up to score too often rather than just ripping the puck in himself. I hope to see him be more selfish and shoot much more than he did last season

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Sprong has a way to high opinion of himself as a player ,he has turned down multiple call ups to the Dutch national team because he thinks it will ruin his eligibility to play for Team Canada

He is not getting a call up to Canada

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sprong has a way to high opinion of himself as a player ,he has turned down multiple call ups to the Dutch national team because he thinks it will ruin his eligibility to play for Team Canada

Spengler.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know how Allvin does it, year after year ago. Last July 1st, Pius Suter mystifyingly remained on the UFA board for more than a month, before the Canucks pounced and signed him to a 'value contract'.

This July 1st it was Daniel Sprong, who languished on the UFA board long after free agent frenzy. And the Canucks signed him to a one-year, $950,000 contract that now rates as one of the top-10 'value contracts' in the entire league.

Obviously other teams weren't entire sold on him. But you'd think that with NHL teams desperate for scoring help, a guy who's a threat to hit the 20-goal mark, even in limited minutes, would be in far greater demand.

But I guess sometimes it just happens--that a player simply falls through the cracks. And the Canucks grabbed a guy who's maybe a bit of 'risk', but the potential 'reward' is high. And one year at only a couple of hundred grand over the league minimum, is 'found money'.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know how Allvin does it, year after year ago. Last July 1st, Pius Suter mystifyingly remained on the UFA board for more than a month, before the Canucks pounced and signed him to a 'value contract'.

This July 1st it was Daniel Sprong, who languished on the UFA board long after free agent frenzy. And the Canucks signed him to a one-year, $950,000 contract that now rates as one of the top-10 'value contracts' in the entire league.

Obviously other teams weren't entire sold on him. But you'd think that with NHL teams desperate for scoring help, a guy who's a threat to hit the 20-goal mark, even in limited minutes, would be in far greater demand.

But I guess sometimes it just happens--that a player simply falls through the cracks. And the Canucks grabbed a guy who's maybe a bit of 'risk', but the potential 'reward' is high. And one year at only a couple of hundred grand over the league minimum, is 'found money'.

ok

Amazing what a difference one preseason game makes

The Canucks have only invested a year in him, but wondering how long it'll be before he's firmly in Tocchet's dog-house......I mean if he couldn't stomach both Kuzmenko and even Hoglander at times, he's going to double up on his ulcers with Sprong.

According to Allvin, Sprong has 'matured; as a hockey player. His biggest payday was last season in Detroit with a $2m contract. So he's taking quite a hair-cut to play in Vancouver.

But six teams in eight years after signing his ELC, is an indicator that his scoring simply wasn't enough of a wash for teams to live with his work on the defensive side of the puck.

But how knows, maybe Tocchet can make at least an average defensive winger out of him?

Last edited:

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

I posited this in a thread that I can't quite remember the name of awhile ago to do with Sprong's defensive deficiencies, and possible correlation to nationality. This may be another puzzle piece.

As a Canadian living 4 years in the Netherlands, I have found that by and by large, Dutch consider themselves experts in everything and won't admit weaknesses/nor work on them. They largely refuse to take responsibility for a situation partially or completely of their making and do not acknowledge others at large unless interacting with them. They also remain willfully ignorant of how their actions affect others.

As Sprong is Dutch, I genuinely think that this cultural psyche has hugely impacted his play style. I suspect we see a Sprong this year prone to excellent offensive output, decent defensive play slacking off into laziness; rinse and repeat for 10 game cycles. I hope I am wrong. But this is what I expect. The guy to bloom offensively to get a 2 or 3 year contract out of this season, but not to put the body on the line for the team... or the effort.

Hope I'm wrong.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
 Always insightful posts from vanjack.
Not my assessment of Sprong as one of the league's best 'value contracts'. That's the assessment of the 'Daily Faceoff' website. And oh by the way, Hoglander also makes their list for obvious reasons.

Research....research....research. For posters it's not hard to do, if you understand how to use 'Google'.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad