Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
a bunch of ways i can see this playing out

- sprong is a message to hög that even with a 20 ESG season under his belt his spot isn’t guaranteed, keeps him working hard over the summer to round out his game, not just improving on the stuff he’s already good at (and which will likely get him his raise for next contract)

- after some initial juggling, tocc settles on the three new wingers and boeser in the top six, the dakota blue garlands line to round out the top nine, all lines he trusts, and we see a super sheltered but highly dangerous fourth line of hög and sprong with suter babysitting them

- podkolzin gets icetime when injuries and slumps allow but is told to be patient because his spot will open back up at the deadline and pod spends the year, and hopefully already is this offseason, going to rick tocchet camp and learning how to raise his ceiling and scope of game from a momesso to closer to a late 80s philadelphia tocchet (and realistically this just means that it’s sprong and not pdg, who i’m guessing we lose on waivers, that’s blocking him anyway)

- at the deadline, sprong has something like 18 goals and 35 pts and we sell high on him

- or conversely, none of the above and allvin somehow manages to package hög at what might be peak value for a cheaper second pair LD, with that team or a third party eating the poolman contract

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1721582041109.jpeg

1721582055832.gif

“hughes springs spring, sproing, he sprung”

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
a bunch of ways i can see this playing out

- sprong is a message to hög that even with a 20 ESG season under his belt his spot isn’t guaranteed, keeps him working hard over the summer to round out his game, not just improving on the stuff he’s already good at (and which will likely get him his raise for next contract)

- after some initial juggling, tocc settles on the three new wingers and boeser in the top six, the dakota blue garlands line to round out the top nine, all lines he trusts, and we see a super sheltered but highly dangerous fourth line of hög and sprong with suter babysitting them

- podkolzin gets icetime when injuries and slumps allow but is told to be patient because his spot will open back up at the deadline and pod spends the year, and hopefully already is this offseason, going to rick tocchet camp and learning how to raise his ceiling and scope of game from a momesso to closer to a late 80s philadelphia tocchet (and realistically this just means that it’s sprong and not pdg, who i’m guessing we lose on waivers, that’s blocking him anyway)

- at the deadline, sprong has something like 18 goals and 35 pts and we sell high on him

- or conversely, none of the above and allvin somehow manages to package hög at what might be peak value for a cheaper second pair LD, with that team or a third party eating the poolman contract

The Sprong signing gives us another right shot who can slot into the top 6. It really does give us a ton of flexibility. I can see us rolling with something like this to start the season.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-Ep-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Deeeeep

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Sprong signing gives us another right shot who can slot into the top 6. It really does give us a ton of flexibility. I can see us rolling with something like this to start the season.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-Ep-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Deeeeep

I have a suspicion Heinen (which my phone keeps correcting to Heineken for some reason) will be pencilled in with Miller-Boeser to start, he’s theoretically just too good an approximation of what Suter brought to that line to ignore (smart, relatively responsible player that reads well off skilled line mates), which will allow them to move Suter back to C.

Sprong will probably be in competition for Pettersson’s line in camp, along with a few other guys. DeBrusk can play both wings so it’s sort of open season.

Reactions: Indiana

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-Ep-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Deeeeep
That fwd group is looking good

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
am i nuts or is our forward complement kind of reminiscent of the gsw dynasty? you have the freaks of nature (steph and kd) and everyone else is a flexible piece of varying abilities and emphases who can all play d, pass, and either make 3s or midrange jumpers (dray, klay, andre, livingstone, etc).

we have EP and JT and everyone else can skate, create turnovers, and play up and down the lineup, a lot of guys can play either wing, some can play center, majority are plus players defensively.

in a way i think the tampa core had positionless basketball on its mind, investing in guys like coleman and goodrow (and us being lucky to get the elite version of that guy that was too expensive for them to keep).

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I have a suspicion Heinen (which my phone keeps correcting to Heineken for some reason) will be pencilled in with Miller-Boeser to start, he’s theoretically just too good an approximation of what Suter brought to that line to ignore (smart, relatively responsible player that reads well off skilled line mates), which will allow them to move Suter back to C.

Sprong will probably be in competition for Pettersson’s line in camp, along with a few other guys. DeBrusk can play both wings so it’s sort of open season.

100%

What I like about our forward groups is the flexibility our forward have.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I like the signing, its a no risk for the cost. I am not a fan of Sprong's defensive game. He is a Kuzmenko comparable, and hopefully he will learn to play on both sides of the puck.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
You do if you are trying to win the cup and dont think the current roster is enough.

Become a Panthers fan. :naughty: Or just accept NHL hockey is extremely difficult and take your best educated shot(s) with multiple outcomes considering the landscape you're in.

I mean what else can you possibly do, just trade all your players for the other team's best players and then win cup? If only it was that easy.

---

On Sprong, we'll see ... I'm happy considering the price is negligible and it can be buried or simply swapped out with PDG/Podkolzin. That's a very reasonable zero to low risk/reward option that could pay off. At $2 mil I would have thought what the hell are they doing here but man these are just great management moves I'm just so happy we see on the regular now. It's a great time to be a Canucks fan !!!

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like the signing, its a no risk for the cost. I am not a fan of Sprong's defensive game. He is a Kuzmenko comparable, and hopefully he will learn to play on both sides of the puck.
Maybe they're comparable in terms of goals and assists.....but one guy, Kuzmenko, was making $5m a season; while Sprong comes in at $975,000.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Which is asinine to use Hoglander for. You don’t handicap yourself at the start of the season to “maybe” upgrade at the deadline
Yeah, trading Hoglander to move off of Poolman, only to then trade futures to rent a deadline player feels steep.

Trading Hoglander to directly address an area of need is another thing entirely. If management like a puck moving D with upside/question marks (I’m not much of a scout, but Conor Timmins comes to mind), I could see the argument; Sprong fills a similar role, Hoglander is due for a raise, and the Canucks need more than Hughes-Hronek to start the rush.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Huh? It’s about gaining 3.5m in accumulating cap space for a much larger deal, or several, during the season.
I am guessing you can get rid of Poolman’s contract like 1/4 into the season but trading to a team that’s struggling for some of some expensive NHL tweeners that make too much money.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Canucks wouldn't have the capspace, even with accrual and contracts getting cheaper, to make that realistic
I mean there are tweeners that make too much money for teams to want to pay to go to the AHl. Like we can make a trade for like 2 guys that make like 900K each and they other team might do it because they pay less real money.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I mean there are tweeners that make too much money for teams to want to pay to go to the AHl. Like we can make a trade for like 2 guys that make like 900K each and they other team might do it because they pay less real money.

Then be maxed out on contracts. Which isn’t that big a deal because you can always just include a marginal player or prospect but it doesn’t help.

Getting rid of Pooman makes the most sense before the season starts purely because of the flexibility in dealing with injuries and accruing cap space.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Then be maxed out on contracts. Which isn’t that big a deal because you can always just include a marginal player or prospect but it doesn’t help.

Getting rid of Pooman makes the most sense before the season starts purely because of the flexibility in dealing with injuries and accruing cap space.
I mean even if you get rid of him like 1/4 into the season, you will still accrue cap, just not as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad