Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Pretty solid deal if he stays healthy, we are getting likely his best 5 years and then at age 31 likely best left to UFA (assuming Benning won't be here to sign him to a LTIRetirement deal).

He's going to be a good one for us.

Despite all of my frustrations and dislike regarding Benning and his eternal incompetence, he 1) isn't afraid to take a risk and 2) the team will be much more exciting next year (though IMO not a contender until the defense improves considerably). Still, a guy like Demko can make things happen, and a lot of the Canucks success will rest on his shoulders.

Reactions: bh53

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Reasonable deal, and in line with what pretty much everyone was expecting him to sign for.

Benning really didn't have much room to negotiate, IMO, so it's nice to see that there isn't an overpayment or any weird protections.

Strange how everyone is approving of this deal when apparently this place is a den of vipers who hate literally everything the Benning regime does.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Compared to some of the other deals that have been/are about to be handed out this off season, this is great.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I really don't like long-term deals in general before you see the player's fit on your team. Seems like the Canucks have been burned repeatedly by this in recent years in both free agency and trade.

I thought the Canucks had an opportunity to mitigate that risk and do something a bit shorter here. That they chose not to is interesting. I wonder if it has Boeser implications sooner than later.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm curious to see which one or two (depending on where Pearson goes) of Podkolzin/Hoglander/Garland has to go on the Dickinson line

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty much what I expected.....$12m in salary going out with Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson....and now with the signing of Garland and OEL, basically $12m in salary coming back in.

Obviously both OEL and Garland are a huge upgrade over the aforementioned departees for next season. Five years from now, who knows?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I really don't like long-term deals in general before you see the player's fit on your team. Seems like the Canucks have been burned repeatedly by this in recent years in both free agency and trade.

I thought the Canucks had an opportunity to mitigate that risk and do something a bit shorter here. That they chose not to is interesting. I wonder if it has Boeser implications sooner than later.
Pls don’t compare Garlond to any overpaid 4th liners/3rd pair D we’ve signed in FA in the last

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Hey, at least it's not Brandon Sutter that they are taking the swing on.

I really do think that having another RHS top 6 locked in is their Boeser backup plan. Honestly if they had just kept Toffoli as well they probably could have moved Boeser for a legit top young D by now and been miles ahead.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
These players are avoiding escrow like the plague with the yearly salary breakouts

Garland wanted as little money as possible this year

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s a decent deal. It’s not a steal. Time will tell if it’s a good one or not.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Not a bad deal. It doesn't scream 'immoveable in 3 years' to me at least. Let's hope he continues to be the same player and doesn't catch the Vancouver curse so many other players we pick up seem to get :)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Reasonable deal, and in line with what pretty much everyone was expecting him to sign for.

Benning really didn't have much room to negotiate, IMO, so it's nice to see that there isn't an overpayment or any weird protections.

Strange how everyone is approving of this deal when apparently this place is a den of vipers who hate literally everything the Benning regime does.
It's almost as if we are able to discern when something apparently good has happened, as opposed to when something apparently bad has happened.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
great contract. I really thought it was going to be a 3 year term for the lower AAV, but long term is better and likely to be a contact that will be looked upon fondly by people once jim is gone.

Our cap space for the next 2 years is rapidly being eaten up. Obviously their are no predictors that can give future certainty, but it really seems like one of Boeser and Miller will be gone in the next 2 seasons. Both guys will command at least 7,500,000+ and our prospect pool is drying up so our pipeline of cheap high level talent wont give us breaks

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
AAV is slightly higher than many of us were projecting but we're talking about $250-$350K here.

I do prefer the 5 year term.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
great contract. I really thought it was going to be a 3 year term for the lower AAV, but long term is better and likely to be a contact that will be looked upon fondly by people once jim is gone.

Our cap space for the next 2 years is rapidly being eaten up. Obviously their are no predictors that can give future certainty, but it really seems like one of Boeser and Miller will be gone in the next 2 seasons. Both guys will command at least 7,500,000+ and our prospect pool is drying up so our pipeline of cheap high level talent wont give us breaks

You need to relax, the cap will likely go up as soon as next season given the NHL signed a monster TV deal and now that things are returning to normal

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Pretty much what I expected.....$12m in salary going out with Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson....and now with the signing of Garland and OEL, basically $12m in salary coming back in.

Obviously both OEL and Garland are a huge upgrade over the aforementioned departees for next season. Five years from now, who knows?
Yep. We haven't saved money - and in fact have committed huge (and potentially disastrous) money over the long term - but the team should be better in the short term.

Even with Holtby being bought out I still think we need some more money moved around to afford EP and Hughes and Dickinson's new contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad