Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
They’re obviously going to put him on the top pairing, where I expect he’ll get ventilated.

He was destroyed in much easier minutes last year than he’ll likely get this year.
The guy just turned 30, so it’s not likely he has declined physically all that much. Yhe injuries get overstated, he hasn’t missed a lot of games. What’s more likely is his mental game is not what it used to be. There has been a huge psychological toll placed on him the last 4 years.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
I can't really understand why people are so bent out of shape over this Poolman signing.....Sportsnet even described it as potentially "one of the most regrettable contacts signed on Free Agent Day."

Really? It's only a $2.25m contract for four years.....and Poolman has no trade protection. If it doesn't work out, the Canucks can easily bury the contract in the minors or trade him. Right-shot defenders on relatively affordable contracts are always in demand.

Would you rather be fans of the Oilers and Flames and their UFA signings? Sorry, but six years for Blake Coleman and seven years for Zack Hyman? Seriously?....both 29 year old forwards with a lot of miles on the odometer on contracts that won't age well.

Now those are two contracts 'with the real potential to be "the most regrettable deals on deadline day".....these could end up being 'Louie Eriksson contracts'.
I agree, I mean MDZ got 2 million a year.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
They’re obviously going to put him on the top pairing, where I expect he’ll get ventilated.

He was destroyed in much easier minutes last year than he’ll likely get this year.

But but he only needs a change of scenery and surely he will regain his form from 5-6 years ago. Surely why else would you take a 7.2M contract for 6 years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The guy just turned 30, so it’s not likely he has declined physically all that much. Yhe injuries get overstated, he hasn’t missed a lot of games. What’s more likely is his mental game is not what it used to be. There has been a huge psychological toll placed on him the last 4 years.

His skating has declined considerably. The YouTube videos about it have been linked here and I’ve noticed the same watching him play.

He had a significant knee surgery a couple years ago that was in the offseason and didn’t cause him to miss many games, but has likely had an impact.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Also Arizona is not Buffalo.

They’ve been a better team than us over the past 4 years and slipped into the bubble and won a round, not much different than us.

If he’s that mentally soft that he can’t perform in those circumstances, that’s a bad thing and not some sort of great excuse.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Benning has officially brainwashed the benning-bros into accepting bad contracts because you can just offload them later now

I mean, technically that's true.

His masterpiece, the Loui contract, was jettisoned as part of the three headed monster that was Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel.

He's bought out other crap like Holtby.

The only one that really doesn't fit the mold is Sutter.

It's technically not a wrong statement, but it ignores that it's basically reinforcing bad behavior, lol.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I mean, technically that's true.

His masterpiece, the Loui contract, was jettisoned as part of the three headed monster that was Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel.

He's bought out other crap like Holtby.

The only one that really doesn't fit the mold is Sutter.

It's technically not a wrong statement, but it ignores that it's basically reinforcing bad behavior, lol.
Bonino has what? One or two cups with the Pens? And All Balls Sutter has what?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Bonino has what? One or two cups with the Pens? And All Balls Sutter has what?

I'm confused as to what you're getting at here.

Sutter was the only player who was signed to a garbage contract who played it out in full, that's all I was saying.

I won't disagree that picking him up in the first place was a bad move.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Tucker Poolman was forced into playing minutes against top competition when he was paired with Josh Morrissey. He played 491 minutes in 39 games last season with Morrissey after missing training camp and having COVID.

I think you need to throw the analytics out the window and see what Poolman does before beginning to comment on his contract. He could very well live up to his contract as a solid bottom 4 dman for us.

He should not be going up against the likes of McDavid and co. He is a 3rd pair guy who can slot into your top 2 pairings if an injury occurs. I have him pencilled in next to Jack Rathbone on the 3rd line.

OEL-Myers
Hughes-Hamonic
Rathbone-Poolman
Juolevi-Schenn
Hunt
The real elephant in the room is whether Myers can play at the level his contract implies on the right side. Not poolman

Reactions: Braeden

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He's been an NHL defenseman. He logged top 4 minutes for the Jets including the playoffs. I'm in no way saying he's a top 4 Dman. I think he's a bottom pairing Dman but a bottom pairing NHL Dman nonetheless. I'm on board if you think the term is too long, AAV is too high, fit. I can understand if you think he's a 6/7th guy but I don't think that's how he's seen around the league.

Regardless, we can agree to disagree. I just want to know your source.Where did you hear these rumours? I get it if the rumours you heard was teams wanting to sign him for 1-2 years at league minimum. But a 2-way?
I heard the rumors in one of the podcasts, either Sekeres or Daliwahl. Don’t remember and don’t care enough to listen to them again to pin down the source.
Does it sound outlandish that some GM would throw in a two way offer to a #6 dman that put up 1 point and 1 penalty in a season with terrible advance stats? Yeah, that’s what you would offer for a guy like that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Whatever the rumours it is apparent to me that we have to sweeten the pot considerably in order to get players to commit to our team. This is hardly Benning's fault and I notice he seems to be targeting players from this neck of the woods since they are probably more likely to sign here for more reasonable deals.
No we don’t, bottom paring players aren’t must haves. That’s just stupid logic. If that was a top4 guy, maybe. But this is a #6 guy and that contract will just be another Beagle contract for us.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You put 5.7 million dollars into one player, gets Injured, and now you have no depth. Depth is the key to winning a championship and you need loads of it for the regular season and playoffs.
Having lots of crappy player is not depth, it’s just having a lot of crap.

Reactions: B-rock

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I heard the rumors in one of the podcasts, either Sekeres or Daliwahl. Don’t remember and don’t care enough to listen to them again to pin down the source.
Does it sound outlandish that some GM would throw in a two way offer to a #6 dman that put up 1 point and 1 penalty in a season with terrible advance stats? Yeah, that’s what you would offer for a guy like that.

Well I have been listening to pretty much everything Dhaliwal and didn't hear him say that. I also heard Drance on Sekeres & Price where Drance talked about how the Canucks targeted Poolman and nothing about two-way contracts was brought up. Maybe I missed something you heard but no one else on here seems to be able to provide any back up to the rumours you allegedly heard.

I do think it sounds outlandish because he's been an NHL Dman. He did not hit the waiver wire this past season. While the Jets didn't have a great defense the fact is that he was still a Dman who logged a lot of minutes including top 4 matchup minutes and PK. Given his size, skating abilities, and experience these Dmen aren't offered 2 way offers. Forbort, for example, got a 3 year $3M AAV with modified NTC and this is a guy that Jets signed him the previous year for 1 year x $1M. There isn't a whole lot separating Forbort and Poolman and Poolman is a right hand shot. Miko Lehtonen with his 26 NHL games got a one-way contract.

Again, I would totally believe if one team tried to get Poolman on a 1 year deal for like $1M-$1.5M and see him as a pure bottom pairing depth piece and then then found that they're not even close. But 2-way contract? If it's true that's a really stupid GM who had no idea what the market rate is.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Sekeres the guy who has traded Boeser for 3 straight offseason is about as bad as Eklund if not worse

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Whatever the rumours it is apparent to me that we have to sweeten the pot considerably in order to get players to commit to our team. This is hardly Benning's fault and I notice he seems to be targeting players from this neck of the woods since they are probably more likely to sign here for more reasonable deals.

I think the team's lack of success would play a significant role in players needing more to commit to the team, which would be on Benning.

Reactions: B-rock

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think the team's lack of success would play a significant role in players needing more to commit to the team, which would be on Benning.

Certainly it is one factor but it pales in comparison to the travel, the taxes, the insane owner, the toxic fanbase, and the legacy of shame and failure that happened before Benning showed up. I'm not a big fan of Benning but none of us know how hard it is to attract decent players to this locale. I'm betting it is significant.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Just because you think they're crappt doesn't necessarily make it true.
Lol its not like the first time Benning shills like you ignore lol the advance stats, traditional stats and other teams’ fans opinion. Our D is crap, no amount of shilling is going to change that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well I have been listening to pretty much everything Dhaliwal and didn't hear him say that. I also heard Drance on Sekeres & Price where Drance talked about how the Canucks targeted Poolman and nothing about two-way contracts was brought up. Maybe I missed something you heard but no one else on here seems to be able to provide any back up to the rumours you allegedly heard.

I do think it sounds outlandish because he's been an NHL Dman. He did not hit the waiver wire this past season. While the Jets didn't have a great defense the fact is that he was still a Dman who logged a lot of minutes including top 4 matchup minutes and PK. Given his size, skating abilities, and experience these Dmen aren't offered 2 way offers. Forbort, for example, got a 3 year $3M AAV with modified NTC and this is a guy that Jets signed him the previous year for 1 year x $1M. There isn't a whole lot separating Forbort and Poolman and Poolman is a right hand shot. Miko Lehtonen with his 26 NHL games got a one-way contract.

Again, I would totally believe if one team tried to get Poolman on a 1 year deal for like $1M-$1.5M and see him as a pure bottom pairing depth piece and then then found that they're not even close. But 2-way contract? If it's true that's a really stupid GM who had no idea what the market rate is.

played top4 minutes has no inherent meaning. We gave Meghna 1st line minutes, does that make him a 1st liner? No, he is still crap. Poolman played top4 min and he sucked at it and they threw him back into the bottom paring. Any dman can play top4 minutes if you don’t give a shit about the results.

The offer reflects how much interest a GM has. a 2-way contract will imply that GM don’t value him more than a 6/7th depth piece and likey won’t feel sad about “losing out” on him. So the question is, is Poolman a top4 guy or a 6/7 guy. If you look at what the jets fans are saying and the adv stats, yeah. Seems like Benning is the only one that thinks he is a top4 guy and we know his record when it comes to evaluating top4 dman.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sounds like BS...A dozen NHL teams were bidding for his services to put him on a two-way?...Okey Dokee.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sounds like BS...A dozen NHL teams were bidding for his services to put him on a two-way?...Okey Dokee.
According to his agent… and it’s not like it’s his job to drum up interest, especially when the biggest over payer in hockey comes knocking on the door.
I mean you are like his biggest shill, you should know what Benning’s negotiation tactics are like with FA, just ask the agent how much to pay and pay it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
According to his agent… and it’s not like it’s his job to drum up interest, especially when the biggest over payer in hockey comes knocking on the door.
I mean you are like his biggest shill, you should know what Benning’s negotiation tactics are like with FA, just ask the agent how much to pay and pay it.
lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad