Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok…that’s too much :huh:

I mean, he was? This shouldn’t be a controversial statement. Said the same thing before the UFA period as well when neither player was linked to us.

I feel like a lot of fans heard Ceci was bad 4 years ago with Ottawa and haven’t adjusted opinions. Plus his usage doesn’t lend itself to looking good in those garbage graphs.

Reactions: Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
This is smug and ignorant.

That poster is telling you the player is solid defensively, and is telling you he isn't good with the puck. You are looking for an inherent contradiction based exclusively on the poster's own assessments.

Team's have two defence men on the ice at all times, you know. A guy who handles the puck poorly, paired with a guy who handles it well can work. Mindblowing, I know.

Smug AND ignorant? My goodness, heaven forfend! What a tongue-lashing!

It's not 1987. This is the same flawed reasoning that results in players like Sbisa, Gudbranson and Myers being valued by moron GMs and fans around the league. Guys who completely implode with the puck at the first sign of pressure (I'll bet you were a big fan of all those acquisitions).

Being able to lean on guys in the corner or clear the crease doesn't make you good defensively anymore. It's a faster league with no holding and a defender has to be able to make a decent play with the puck without panicking. Even pure defense guys like Tanev have to be cool under pressure and make good outlet passes these days -- or they get buried.

This poster explicitly stated that Poolman should NEVER have the puck on his stick in his own end. If you think that statement can coexist with being good defensively then you haven't been paying attention to the NHL for the last 10 years.

Now is Poolman really that bad with the puck? Probably not, it may have been hyperbole on the poster in question's part. But my statement was true, while yours is mired in a bygone era where guys like Dana Murzyn were top-4 defenders.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I mean, he was? This shouldn’t be a controversial statement. Said the same thing before the UFA period as well when neither player was linked to us.

I feel like a lot of fans heard Ceci was bad 4 years ago with Ottawa and haven’t adjusted opinions. Plus his usage doesn’t lend itself to looking good in those garbage graphs.
He was overachieving first half of the season with Pittsburgh while being sheltered. Turned back into pumpkin especially in the playoffs
Was never good in Ottawa and Toronto

I can’t take anyone’s hockey opinion seriously if they think Cody Ceci is a good nhl player

Reactions: CherryToke

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It’s 4 yrs cause Jimbo needs to overpay.

Actually he does have to ad that extra year in order to entice the player to come to Van. I'm betting lots of other teams were offering 3 years and he would probably have signed with many of them over Vancouver. The 4th year was what it took to get him here.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I don’t why I feel the need to defend Poolman but I think you have to just wait and see, you are hoping for something steady with your pairings and he sounds like he is gonna be steady
It’s better than Gudbranson/Sbisa at 4 million.

It is certainly true that we can't be sure what will happen until it actually occurs, so we'll have to wait and see to be sure, but ...

on the face of it this signing looks awful and in the past when that has been the case, it has not been that this management team saw something that we all missed. Benning has long since used up any benefit of any doubts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was overachieving first half of the season with Pittsburgh while being sheltered. Turned back into pumpkin especially in the playoffs
Was never good in Ottawa and Toronto

I can’t take anyone’s hockey opinion seriously if they think Cody Ceci is a good nhl player

He was pretty decent in Toronto, too.

He was excellent down the stretch in Pittsburgh as their #3 defender. Had a bad elimination game in the playoffs.

He’s a solid hockey player and I’m kind of in disbelief that people are arguing that Poolman was a better NHL defender than Ceci last year.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

He was excellent down the stretch in Pittsburgh as their #3 defender. Had a bad elimination game in the playoffs.

He’s a solid hockey player and I’m kind of in disbelief that people are arguing that Poolman was a better NHL defender than Ceci last year.
I wasn’t arguing that
I was legit shocked that someone who’s been around for so long you think Cody Ceci is a good player
He was pretty decent in Toronto???? I guarantee if you go and ask in the leafs board, 99% of the people there will laugh at it

Reactions: F A N

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Actually he does have to ad that extra year in order to entice the player to come to Van. I'm betting lots of other teams were offering 3 years and he would probably have signed with many of them over Vancouver. The 4th year was what it took to get him here.
Rumors are the other teams were thinking of offering 2 way contract…

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

That doesn't really fit with what PIT fans said in the signing thread on the main board. The consensus there is he had a poor finish to the season. There are some that say he wasn't as bad as some claim, but that's contrasting the posters saying he was hot garbage. No one claimed he was actually good, at least that I saw.

There was also a consensus that Ceci was fine on a sheltered 3rd pairing, but when moved up the lineup quickly sank. Definitely no one saying he was an excellent #3, and no one saying they wanted him back. You'd expect some would want an "excellent #3" re-signed.

You were also luke warm at best about Ceci prior to these signings. Nothing you said earlier made it sound like you viewed him as an "excellent #3."

Which isn't me saying Poolman is better. Going by WPG and PIT fans, the reactions have been pretty much the same: both slightly over paid, with at least an extra year in term; both decent defensively in a 3rd pairing role; both struggled when moved up the lineup.

Also say, neither Benning nor Holland give the warm fuzzies when it comes to UFA signings. But the market for RH dmen is what it is, and I'd rather give a contract like this so as to have options, than walk away over an extra $500k in cap space, or having $2,5m come off the board in 3 years instead of 4.

Reactions: Messien

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

This reminds me of when people were arguing that Barrie was elite when Benning was close to blowing his load to get him in 2019 or whatever and then everyone saw him and realized he was actually just shit.

I don’t think people can evaluate defenders at all. People just like to chat.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Yep. Too much talking just for the sake of talking here. Like everybody say he had 1 points last year while conveniently forgetting he had 16 points in 57 games in his first full NHL season.

let’s watch more clips for now and wait until the season to judge…..

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I know this is kind of crazy talk but what if there were 2 defensemen on the ice who could handle the puck at least competently?

Imagine what might occur if an opposing team figured out a defender can't move the puck and *gasp* decided to keep dumping it into that guy's corner so he can serve them up a steady diet of pizzas all evening!

I wonder if that's ever happened.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Imagine what might occur if an opposing team figured out a defender can't move the puck and *gasp* decided to keep dumping it into that guy's corner so he can serve them up a steady diet of pizzas all evening!

I wonder if that's ever happened.
Funny how fast people forget the Sbisa, Gubranson experience…

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why would that sound bs? He is a 6/7 dman that put up ONE point last year. Every single metric points to replacement level.

He's been an NHL defenseman. He logged top 4 minutes for the Jets including the playoffs. I'm in no way saying he's a top 4 Dman. I think he's a bottom pairing Dman but a bottom pairing NHL Dman nonetheless. I'm on board if you think the term is too long, AAV is too high, fit. I can understand if you think he's a 6/7th guy but I don't think that's how he's seen around the league.

Regardless, we can agree to disagree. I just want to know your source.Where did you hear these rumours? I get it if the rumours you heard was teams wanting to sign him for 1-2 years at league minimum. But a 2-way?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This reminds me of when people were arguing that Barrie was elite when Benning was close to blowing his load to get him in 2019 or whatever and then everyone saw him and realized he was actually just shit.

I don’t think people can evaluate defenders at all. People just like to chat.

Brian Burke was pretty good at evaluating Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad