Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For comparisons sake, the Oilers just signed Cody Ceci to a four year deal at $3.25 AAV...now on his fourth NHL team.

Yikes! I may never be able to criticize the Poolman signing again.

Ceci is far, far better than Poolman and was very good in top-5 minutes for a good team last year.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Ceci is far, far better than Poolman and was very good in top-5 minutes for a good team last year.

Pens fans on the main board said Ceci started really well but then his play fell off a cliff. Haven't seen too many, if any, that will miss him. Especially on that contract.

Seem like pretty similar options really.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
It has gotta be fun negotiating with Benning

Agent: Okay Jim, so we are looking for either term or salary, which one are you willing to give up?

Benning: Yes

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

No he isn’t. Ceci has historically been terrible defensively. Plenty of articles and videos are out there showing why.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Yeah, I wanted Hakanpaa too, too bad he chose Dallas for the countrymen. It sure sounds like Nucks really wanted Poolman to have paid that premium…… fingers crossed they are right, that Poolman is a late-bloomer that can more flexibly handle top 4 minutes……

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Well we all know when Jimbo sees something that he wants nothing is gonna stop him.....unfortunately he doesn't know how to let go.

Did it with Beagle........should have never gone to that fourth year..........sounds like he did it hear as well........

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I am extremely curious about the Poolman. I can't say I watched him play a lot, or much at all. It seems that those who have watched him. like him. Size with mobility and a defensive mindset is a great package. How much of this is wishful thinking vs reality, time will tell.

Boeser to Poolman at 1:10 min

Poolman to Boeser at 1:40

Reactions: David71

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
yeah I'd rather have gotten Merrill and Pysyk. This contract makes no sense now considering what they signed for

At least this is a non-crippling overpayment. Should be easy to get out of

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I am extremely curious about the Poolman. I can't say I watched him play a lot, or much at all. It seems that those who have watched him. like him. Size with mobility and a defensive mindset is a great package. How much of this is wishful thinking vs reality, time will tell.

Boeser to Poolman at 1:10 min

Poolman to Boeser at 1:40

Here's another short video of his goals in 2019-2020, it shows the way he scores goals:

He does have offensive flair packaged with good skating. Can't wait to see how he performs under Shaw

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well we all know when Jimbo sees something that he wants nothing is gonna stop him.....unfortunately he doesn't know how to let go.

Did it with Beagle........should have never gone to that fourth year..........sounds like he did it hear as well........
Certainly sounds like the Canucks pro scouts were fixated on this player...but that '4 years ' definitely jumps off the page.

Fortunately, Baumgartner got demoted..I'm curious to see if this makes any overall difference to the D..?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Ryan Murray still just sitting there while we have no left shot defenceman who can kill a penalty or really play any sort of defensive role. Nice work Jim, nice work.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
now i have no idea who the f tucker poolman is, but what’s the current over/under on him finishing this contract without a buyout?

Poolman does have an injury history but if we're talking about Poolman managing to stay healthy I think the odds are low. Right shot right D with size and NHL experience tend to be valued around the league.

Speaking of size, how tall is Tucker Poolman? He was listed as 6'4" when he was in college but NHL.com has him at 6'2".

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
now i have no idea who the f tucker poolman is, but what’s the current over/under on him finishing this contract without a buyout?

I'd say probably low. The actual size of the cap hit isn't that crippling and it goes until he's 32. I think odds are pretty good he remains at least 'serviceable' until then.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Poolman does have an injury history but if we're talking about Poolman managing to stay healthy I think the odds are low. Right shot right D with size and NHL experience tend to be valued around the league.

Speaking of size, how tall is Tucker Poolman? He was listed as 6'4" when he was in college but NHL.com has him at 6'2".

Hes 6'4 as stated in Canucks official press release. He's also 6'4 in Ea Sports NHL. If you watch thr video above, it shows him standing next to Laine and they are the same height. He also noticeably looks big on the ice, much bigger than an average defenceman.

Reactions: F A N

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Certainly sounds like the Canucks pro scouts were fixated on this player...but that '4 years ' definitely jumps off the page.

Fortunately, Baumgartner got demoted..I'm curious to see if this makes any overall difference to the D..?

Poolman is 28 though, and is what, max. 1mil overpaid? We locked him up through his prime, there aren’t any regression years here. The 4 year term is fine if the player plays close to or above contract value, the issue with Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, Eriksson, etc. is that that was extremely unlikely.

I don’t hate this signing. I haven’t seen much of him though, but it certainly doesn’t seem like something to be too upset about.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If a player should never have the puck on his stick in his own zone, he is, by definition, not decent defensively.

Thanks for the input though.
This is smug and ignorant.

That poster is telling you the player is solid defensively, and is telling you he isn't good with the puck. You are looking for an inherent contradiction based exclusively on the poster's own assessments.

Team's have two defence men on the ice at all times, you know. A guy who handles the puck poorly, paired with a guy who handles it well can work. Mindblowing, I know.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad