Rumor: Canucks really like Carson Soucy and will heavily pursuit him at Free Agency

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Canucks have never seen a bottom pairing defenenceman or bottom six forward that they didn’t overpay for.

They love bidding wars
And overpaying
Specifically for those two categories of player

It’s in their DNA
We’ll see if they do it here

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd go 4x4 for him for sure. We has been pretty good, and pretty consistent playing 15-17 mins a game. With Hughes eating significant minutes, Soucy could be a nice fit next to Hronek.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Can Seattle/Minny fans give feedback on his strengths and weakness, please and thank you

Soucy set career highs in hits and takeaways last season.

If the Canucks do get him, he will likely be paired for Hronek in a 2nd/3rd pairing role

Soucy is a very good #5 guy that can play a #4 role in a pinch and won't hurt you defensively.

Plays a smart and simple game. Doesn't force anything but doesn't really create anything either, but will jump in the play to offer some complementary offense.

Good skater but has lost a step in the last two years, he was a great skater for his size in 2021.

If your team has a situation where they need safe, consistent defensive play in their top 4 and aren't in need of risk taking or creativity, Soucy could fill that role and I don't think he would struggle. He just isn't going to give you a lot of upside there.

One of the better bottom pairing D in the league, but probably leaves you wanting more if played in a top 4 role. I fully expect him to get 3.75-4M for 4 or 5 years from some GM.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I like Soucy a lot, solid third pairing guy that can play on the 2nd pair if you need it cause of injuries. Not sure I'd give him more then like 3.5mil max though.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Soucy is a very good #5 guy that can play a #4 role in a pinch and won't hurt you defensively.

Plays a smart and simple game. Doesn't force anything but doesn't really create anything either, but will jump in the play to offer some complementary offense.

Good skater but has lost a step in the last two years, he was a great skater for his size in 2021.

If your team has a situation where they need safe, consistent defensive play in their top 4 and aren't in need of risk taking or creativity, Soucy could fill that role and I don't think he would struggle. He just isn't going to give you a lot of upside there.
And that would be the real saving grace for the Canucks here. I mean it's not like we're going to land a Brandon Carlo & Brett Pesce, so in absence of that both Hughes and Hronek have been effective with the above type of player. Which after trading Luke Schenn Vancouver currently doesn't have.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A lot of teams should purse him, mine included but there are some teams that shouldn't.

Vancouver shouldn't that team shouldn't be making win now moves they aren't in that position and haven't been since arguably 2012.

This is not the move for them.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
As others have said I like Soucy, I do not love the contract he will likely be given. If we need truly need "big" as a main criteria look to Boston for a cheap Forbort or hell I'd almost rather pick up Nemeth for the single year

• Wow

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I'm betting its going to to 4-4.5 million and 4-5 years. I'm not happy with that idea, but I suspect thats what it will be. Hoping I'm wrong.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh dear! He plays 16-17 minutes a night which is extremely low for a defender, and then at playoff time his ice time managed to dip another 2 minutes/game. If he was trusted more than that he would play more. This will probably turn into another Ben Chiarot type deal. Gets a new UFA deal and then is expected to play more minutes than he normally does and then the bottom falls out.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
As others have said I like Soucy, I do not love the contract he will likely be given. If we need truly need "big" as a main criteria look to Boston for a cheap Forbort or hell I'd almost rather pick up Nemeth for the single year
Patrik Nemeth!?!?
IMG_5034.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Canucks have never seen a bottom pairing defenenceman or bottom six forward that they didn’t overpay for.

They love bidding wars
And overpaying
Specifically for those two categories of player

It’s in their DNA
We’ll see if they do it here
I'm seeing a lot of takes that are either based on hate towards the team, or in this case moves past gms have made.
Alvin literally moved his Captain because he wanted too much on his deal and while he hasn't made a ton of trades or signings, he hasn't overpaid for bottom six or 3rd pairing D yet, quite the opposite.

This thread is very typical of most threads involving Nuck rumours, 90% Hyperbole, with a few proper takes and a few really obvious trolls. (Not you)

Considering Dhaliwal has zero contacts like to the management, I wonder its actual credibility but even if true, just because they have interest it doesn't mean they see him as the guy on the 2nd pair and will commit too 2nd pair money and since Alvin isn't Benning we should maybe wait and see?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I think he could be a solid fit beside Hronek. He brings elements that the Canucks need- size, defensive ability. All but guaranteed he will get a top4 d contract, just hope it is on the lower end of the scale if he signs with Van. People saying its another Tylerr Myers deal, are out to lunch. Myers can't score or defend worth shit, and has been making #2/3 money

I would imagine he signs with a team that intends to use him on the 2nd pairing, and the AAV will start with a 4

Last edited:

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
i guess the canucks still havent learned that you shouldnt be paying 3rd pairing dmen 3+mil a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad