Rumor: Canucks really like Carson Soucy and will heavily pursuit him at Free Agency

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
JR is the President of Hockey Ops... He doesnt run Free Agency

GM Allvin does and has had full autonomy since day 1 in regards to player personnel.
Rutherford would rather retire than to have zero input on player personnel. And coveting Carson Soucy is so on brand for him. If Allvin really does have full autonomy and wants Soucy at any cost... well you're still absolutely f***ed.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
tirefire.gif

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Rutherford would rather retire than to have zero input on player personnel. And coveting Carson Soucy is so on brand for him. If Allvin really does have full autonomy and wants Soucy at any cost... well you're still absolutely f***ed.
No GM in Vancouver history has ever had full autonomy. The only thing they get in full is blame. The owner is an idiot that thinks he knows better than everybody. They have been buyers in trades and free agency since 2019 maybe even before, it's why Linden left abruptly. Revisionist history might have them as a "retool/rebuild" but they have operated as buyers and they aren't even a playoff squad.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Well, as a born Canucks fan I’m really hoping the poor decisions are finally behind us.

As I’ve mentioned in Threads on HF Canucks, this has been a lost decade. My teenage Gingers have never had a competitive team to cheer for & establish a bond with, aside from the Covid Playoff- which of course had no atmosphere.

As others have noted, Soucy is a nice depth piece at a lower AAV. If he can come in at a reasonable price, then great. If not, I’d rather see the Team give our prospects more opportunities.

All that said, the Posts making fun of the past decisions are fair & some are hilarious. Just understand- we are probably more critical of our own Team than anyone :laugh: - which is likely the case for most fanbases

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I like targeting this player at hopefully a reasonable cap hit.

Hughes - Hroenik/Soucy
Wolanin - Soucy/Hroenik
Hirose -Myers

(Extras: Briesbois, woo, Poolman)

Not terrible, wouldn’t be able to bring in another top 4 d until we move one of Myers, boeser, garland, beau, or mikyhev.

Gotta think a winger or at least Myers is moved by the deadline. Using all our cap space after shooting OEL to the moon is a bad idea imo. This team hasn’t shown they should spending up to the cap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be surprised if Soucy signs for less than 5 x 4M. He's big, has a bit of toughness, good defender, and has good, if somewhat awkward wheels, and can chip in on offense. Can definitely PK.
Not the youngest, but was a late bloomer, so there is more tread on his tires than some other Dmen of the same vintage.

I mean, Severson is better, but look at the deal he got. Soucy does some things better than him.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Given the dismal free agency class and the hopes that we will not trade 11thOA to improve the defense, I would not be opposed to 4 years at 3.5-3.75 per. He definitely adds to a Canucks blueline that lacks size and grit. He is the exact type of defenseman we need with his ability to play the PK and a defensive shutdown role in our top 4. Maybe hes willing to take slightly less to play in the top 4.

Even with Soucy, the bigger problem remains. Who plays with Hughes?

JR can't help himself, he's incapable of shutting up because he loves the attention.

Graves is absolutely going to cost more than that.
agreed. Graves is coming in at 5+ on 6+ years. Ive wanted him for a bit but not at those figures.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Soucy wants more than 4M, give or take, then I wonder if VAN doesn't give Dumba a call. He might be a bit more expensive, but he's a better player, who has been playing top 4, and sometimes, top 2 minutes for years. Smaller than Soucy, but he's pretty tough, and is a RHD to boot.

I will barf if this team gives Soucy more than $3 million over 4 years.
He will, unless he decides to sign for one year and do it again when the cap goes up. Keep your bucket handy.

Reactions: Grantham

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've watched Soucy for a couple years in Seattle and my take is that he actually is middle pair capable and should be fine at $4m x 4. I was actually surprised to see his salary projection come in so much lower than Graves', if anything I think he's a better bet than Graves. Graves looked much slower than he used to be when I saw him in the playoffs, while Soucy is fast and just starting his prime. I think the Canucks are targeting the right guy for once.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I like him, he does his role well, mobile for a 6'5 guy. He is a really nice guy to anchor down and be the key player on a 3rd pairing while playing some meaningful PK time. And you need these type of players on playoff teams that are reliable and cost-efficient.

That said, its likely he is going to be overpaid by a team in free agency and expected to overperform in a role that isn't quite suitable for him.

Reactions: Grantham

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
If Soucy wants more than 4M, give or take, then I wonder if VAN doesn't give Dumba a call. He might be a bit more expensive, but he's a better player, who has been playing top 4, and sometimes, top 2 minutes for years. Smaller than Soucy, but he's pretty tough, and is a RHD to boot.

He will, unless he decides to sign for one year and do it again when the cap goes up. Keep your bucket handy.

Dumba has gotten underrated. He's given a backseat to his offensive game, but he's improved heaps defensively to the point he's actually quite good in his own end. He's also proven and is still capable of playing big minutes. Solid top 4 defenseman.

I'd rather have Dumba at $5x4 than giving Soucy more than $3 million over 4 years.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Very good 4/5 defenseman with size and defensive ability.
He can chip in some offense but you shouldn't expect that 2021-22 production.

He made $2.75M last season and I doubt he'll sign for less than $3M AAV, especially thanks to the crappy free agent class this year.
He's getting 5M atleast based on the Gavrikov contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad