Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman to a 1y/775k Contract

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Meh. Could use the RHD depth I guess. Any chance Woo beats him out for a spot?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Good I was hoping they'd keep him and play him a tad bit more, wasn't sure he'd stay being mostly a 7th dman.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
timing is the only interesting part here. wonder if this is for continuity as management expects a lot of turnover in the next couple of weeks

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I do not expect Brisebois to jump Friedman in the depth chart.

Brisebois did not look very good in the AHL after his return from extended injury last year.

The underlying stats don’t lie. Also it was quite hilarious how many penalties Friedman drew. He was getting high sticked every second game lol

The penalties thing is accurate but the comparison of Friedman's card to Hronek's card shows just how stupid these JFresh things are.

Friedman has barely cleared 20 ESP/80 in the *AHL* for his career and comes out offensively ahead (67% to 43%) of a guy in Hronek who has averaged 32 ESP/82 in the NHL over the past 3 years.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
timing is the only interesting part here. wonder if this is for continuity as management expects a lot of turnover in the next couple of weeks

They don’t really have anyone in the AHL that they think can make the jump and everyone is comfortable sitting in the press box. They thought it would be Brisebois last season but the concussions have derailed his career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Death, taxes and MS coming into a thread to diss a JFresh card.

They're literally the dumbest f***ing things in the entire world and it's absolutely insane that people give them the slightest bit of credibility.

He's literally claiming that Mark Friedman is a better offensive defender - by a mile - than Filip Hronek. It's comical.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I was very pleased with Juulsen and Friedman's performances as the team's depth defenders last season. Glad Friedman decided to stick around rather than pursue a bigger opportunity elsewhere.

Reactions: Lindgren

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The penalties thing is accurate but the comparison of Friedman's card to Hronek's card shows just how stupid these JFresh things are.

Friedman has barely cleared 20 ESP/80 in the *AHL* for his career and comes out offensively ahead (67% to 43%) of a guy in Hronek who has averaged 32 ESP/82 in the NHL over the past 3 years.
The only thing I can think of is that it's based on their role listed next to TOI. So it's basing the percentages off of depth d-men for Friedman, and top pair d-men for Hronek.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The only thing I can think of is that it's based on their role listed next to TOI. So it's basing the percentages off of depth d-men for Friedman, and top pair d-men for Hronek.

It is not.

It's relative to all forwards/defenders who have played over 200 EV minutes in a season.

It's like if some guy in his mom's basement who took a 1st year stats course and announced that 'I have created a model for valuing foods relative to cost and nutrition!' And then the model spits out that DISHWASHER DETERGENT IS A 75TH PERCENTILE MEAL CHOICE' and 'CARROTS ARE A 43RD PERCENTILE MEAL CHOICE' and clueless people all over the internet start posting this and saying 'WTF my dumbass wife made us salad instead of dishwasher detergent for dinner! What an idiot!'

It's just so, so bad and anyone with an ounce of self-awareness would be like 'this is shit!' and go back to the drawing board. But instead they just keep churning them out and people keep eating it up.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Solid signing. Really would have rather had him in for the playoffs than Juulsen. Just seems to have better reads on the play. I wonder if he's still drawing a crazy amount of penalties? He always seemed to get a bunch

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'm pretty shocked he chose to stay here and not look for an actual #6 role somewhere else. Like, he could probably be the next Kyle Burroughs for the Sharks or Blackhawks. Pretty happy with this and I am continually confused as to why Juulsen ever got more playing time than him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't think Woo even gets qualified at this point. Don't really understand it tbh.

Woo got injured at such an inopportune time this season. I still think there's an NHL player there.

Friedman's competition for the depth spot will likely be Wolanin and Brisebois (if he's healthy). I think the Canucks like Brisebois a lot, but speaking of injuries...

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad