Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign G Arturs Silovs to 2-Year Contract, $0.85M AAV Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's a perfect environment for Silovs. He gets the guaranteed money on the 1 way and he will get 30+ starts if we learned anything from last year about overplaying Demko.

2 years as the go-to back up is plenty of time to show if you're good enough to be starter by July 2026. As these things normally go for goalies I'm actually not expecting Silovs to blow the doors off and force us to trade Demko in a couple years. For me it's whether Silovs will be good enough to be a 1A/1B tandem goalie with Demko in the future. Some of that hinges on Demko's health as well.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The structure of this contract is really geared towards that too.

exactly.

this is smart for both sides. terrific price for the team given what he showed in the playoffs, and for silovs it's not just the one-way contract, but at that cap hit there's some security knowing that if he stumbles a bit he won't be replaced with a <$1m waiver wire backup just to save that bit of cap space

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Good deal for all parties. Gives Silovs some guaranteed money while being due for a new contract (UFA or RFA, I don't know) when Demko's deal expires. Could be a changing landscape in the crease at that point.

Also gives the team that little bit of extra space under the cap. Every dollar counts in our situation.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the next move being PDG being dealt for a 6th in 2039 or something similar. That opens up a forward spot for waiver exempt options on the farm. Then see guys like Karlsson, Bains, Raty, and Sasson share that spot as a sort of taxi squad. Run with a 22 man roster at times, while getting a look at multiple "next wave" depth options.

Then accrue whatever we can up to the trade deadline, at which point Poolman goes on LTIR. Probably gonna add a Crosby or Draisaitl at that point, depending which team is out of the playoff race.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Apparently, and I can't remember which reporter was talking about it, the Canucks have consistently tried to move off of Poolman's contract but the price has been very high. Teams liked Mikheyev a lot more and feel they could recoup some of the cost by trading him for an asset later. Poolman is pure capspace and the few teams that can absorb 2.5m in capspace are putting a high price on that.
It just seems bizarre other teams are placing that much value on $2.5M of cap space...when like Chicago and SJ have treated cap space as basically worthless, with the players they've allocated a significant amount of space too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With so many teams in the league scuffling for reliable goaltending, It's somewhat surprising there wouldn't be more interest in Silovs out there, either via a trade or an offer sheet.

But I suppose the Canucks would have matched anyway if he'd been offer sheeted. The upside is that Canucks goaltending is now firmed up for at least the next two years. Demko and Silovs up top; and Tolopilo and Patera on the farm. Not sure where Ty Young ends up.

And I suppose one of the encouraging things is that both Patera and Tolopilo look like they're capable of filling in as NHL backups. Patera has earned a few callups with Vegas already.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Excellent... now I hope that they trust him enough to rest Demko on the regular.

I think this is the strategy of the new giant goaltender era. Giant goaltenders can be amazing, but they breakdown. Markstrom is the post boy for this, but Demko's looking that way too. Smart teams are going to have to go 60/40 with two good goalies, hopefully underpaying for one of them... like we seem to have managed to do here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With so many teams in the league scuffling for reliable goaltending, It's somewhat surprising there wouldn't be more interest in Silovs out there, either via a trade or an offer sheet.

But I suppose the Canucks would have matched anyway if he'd been offer sheeted. The upside is that Canucks goaltending is now firmed up for at least the next two years. Demko and Silovs up top; and Tolopilo and Patera on the farm. Not sure where Ty Young ends up.

And I suppose one of the encouraging things is that both Patera and Tolopilo look like they're capable of filling in as NHL backups. Patera has earned a few callups with Vegas already.
They signed Young, but not sure what their plans are for him. Seems like Abby is full thus his options are ECHL in Kalamazoo or return to a different WHL team for an overage season. Kuskeunevo is going into year 3 at Harvard, but he only has under 20 games in the NCAA through 2 seasons. Big year for him development wise. Probably need to grab a goalie prospect in 2025 draft, which is why I don't love the idea of sending out a pick to dump Poolman's contract.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think that's the plan. Pitera was brought in to compete and push him, but IMO, it's Silovs' spot to lose.
I think that the poster was suggesting that Demko be the back-up (presumably so he'd have a chance to be healthy for the playoffs). (Not saying that isn't over the top—just interpreting the message.)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That’s a bit less than I was expecting and at multiple years so good news.

I think it's a case of reason overcoming fear. If not for the playoff games, Silovs likely would have gotten a similar contract with the 1st year perhaps being a 2-way and we would think great and carry on.

I do wonder if Silovs is better off having a dominant year in the AHL and continue to develop. But he's around the age where Demko forced his way to the big club, but Demko had a better AHL track record.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it's a case of reason overcoming fear. If not for the playoff games, Silovs likely would have gotten a similar contract with the 1st year perhaps being a 2-way and we would think great and carry on.

I do wonder if Silovs is better off having a dominant year in the AHL and continue to develop. But he's around the age where Demko forced his way to the big club, but Demko had a better AHL track record.
Probably why he went lower on the AAV. Be low enough to be as good value in the nhl and practice under Clark’s watch.

Patera is 25 with 8 nhl games and like 85 Ahl games. Tolipolo is 24 with 35 Ahl games and time in Sweden. Silovs is 23 and has 88 ahl games and 9 nhl games. All fairly similar resumes up to now.

Silovs though the youngest has the most North American experience it would seem.

Reactions: Lindgren

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i like silovs and i like this deal but the tandem of silovs/patera if demko has any significant injuries terrifies me. i think they should still be looking at bringing in someone with more nhl experience as the backup and/or 3rd guy

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably why he went lower on the AAV. Be low enough to be as good value in the nhl and practice under Clark’s watch.

Patera is 25 with 8 nhl games and like 85 Ahl games. Tolipolo is 24 with 35 Ahl games and time in Sweden. Silovs is 23 and has 88 ahl games and 9 nhl games. All fairly similar resumes up to now.

Silovs though the youngest has the most North American experience it would seem.

Patera has the most North American experience. He's been in NA since 17-18.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i like silovs and i like this deal but the tandem of silovs/patera if demko has any significant injuries terrifies me. i think they should still be looking at bringing in someone with more nhl experience as the backup and/or 3rd guy
Where are you going to place everyone? The 3 guys are above playing in the echl now so if they aren’t on an nhl roster they’d have to be in Abby. Don’t need 3 of them down there.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Where are you going to place everyone? The 3 guys are above playing in the echl now so if they aren’t on an nhl roster they’d have to be in Abby. Don’t need 3 of them down there.

easy, just don't sign patera

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Can't really see offer sheets being much of a factor. Be huge news if anyone uses it. Teams just don't want to see handling the cap get any more difficult than it is and the fear of revenge is too great. Some pundits push it but more to create news and get themselves more notice.

Lots of Calgary fans are hoping Flames screw over Oilers by offer sheeting Broberg (doubt Edmonton could match) but I don't see it. Too bad in a way.

Given present situation, I think Silvos begins year as backup in Vancouver. Team needs to know more exactly what they have and I believe Silvos is subject to waivers.

Contract is obviously excellent given what Silvos has shown to date.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad