Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see some of the Detroit Red Wings' fan site are expressing relief that it wasn't Detroit that ended up extending Hronek for seven years at $7.2m.

But the fact of the matter is they never really did replace him, and his production in the lineup. And I suspect if they'd have stuck with him for another season, they might have emerged from that tangle of teams in the Eastern Conference all vying for the final wildcard spot.

And although they snagged Axel Sandin Pellikka with the pick they got from the Canucks--via the Islanders--he's still a long way from being a regular d-man in the NHL.

Normally it's pure poison for a lottery team to be surrendering first round draft picks--but this is one time where the Canucks probably got it right.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I see some of the Detroit Red Wings' fan site are expressing relief that it wasn't Detroit that ended up extending Hronek for seven years at $7.2m.

But the fact of the matter is they never really did replace him, and his production in the lineup. And I suspect if they'd have stuck with him for another season, they might have emerged from that tangle of teams in the Eastern Conference all vying for the final wildcard spot.

And although they snagged Axel Sandin Pellikka with the pick they got from the Canucks--via the Islanders--he's still a long way from being a regular d-man in the NHL.

Normally it's pure poison for a lottery team to be surrendering first round draft picks--but this is one time where the Canucks probably got it right.
Detroit fans are kinda delusional these days

Can’t blame them, they traded away the pick that became Wyatt Johnson just so they could move up 8 spots at the draft

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Detroit fans are kinda delusional these days

Can’t blame them, they traded away the pick that became Wyatt Johnson just so they could move up 8 spots at the draft
Wings fans seem alright except maybe their blind faith in Yzerman. Some predicted that they would need a Dman like Hronek and that’s true. I don’t blame them for not wanting to pay the price for Hronek. Many of us here questioned it ourselves. If we had Seider more of us would have said bye to Hronek.

Things can change quickly but I feel Detroit might have fallen into the same trap as Winnipeg did that is in their quest to build around their new core they are wasting the best years of a guy like Larkin.

Reactions: Indiana

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Genuinely just asking, I'm not really sure my self;

Would you have traded the same package for him if he was on his new contract he just signed with the Canucks?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Would you have traded the same package for him if he was on his new contract he just signed with the Canucks?
Depends on if you were feeling bullish on massive cap rises after years of flat cap creating a ton of tectonic pressure that was going to burst at some point.

His contract adjusted for the projected cap rises is like 8 years ~5.9MM in this year's cap.

But the fact of the matter is they never really did replace him, and his production in the lineup.

Not only did they not replace him, they absolutely sewered Moritz Seider by giving him the toughest deployment in the entire NHL and hopefully have not hampered his career prospects.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think it makes some sense to not pay like 7M+ for 2 D that plays the the same side unless both are like dominant #1D guys and can anchor 2 parings with an average/right partner. If Yzerman didn’t f*** up and signed Chiarot, then they probably could’ve ran 2 lines with Seider and Hronek as an anchor. Also I don’t think Hronek would’ve cost 7M+ playing in Detroit alongside Chiarot.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

That's kind of a silly question. A player's contract is a major component of their trade value.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Kind of hard to replicate circumstances because I'm only okay with the contract and the trade price paid because of how he's worked out with Hughes and the team, as well as what's happening with the cap. If he had this contract at the time of trade, yeah I dunno, maybe not? But if I knew the cap was going up as it is and I knew how well he'd fit with Hughes and the team, then I'd actually feel better about the trade knowing it wasn't going to end up a rental.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Hronek would not have been worth what the Canucks gave up for him if he were on his current contract at the time. It’s unlikely he provides that much surplus value on this deal and it is a rare offseason where there are a bunch of RD options available instead.

In a vacuum I don’t think he was worth what the Canucks paid for him even based on his actual contract either, given they only really got one season of value out of him. If they were a playoff team in 2022/23 and got an extra playoff run out of him it would have been fair.

But given the team needed to compete this season, and were in dire need of a quality defender, the deal still makes sense to me, even if suboptimal.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
We've noticed.
Just breathe and try to get on top of those emotions big boy.

Hronek would not have been worth what the Canucks gave up for him if he were on his current contract at the time. It’s unlikely he provides that much surplus value on this deal and it is a rare offseason where there are a bunch of RD options available instead.

In a vacuum I don’t think he was worth what the Canucks paid for him even based on his actual contract either, given they only really got one season of value out of him. If they were a playoff team in 2022/23 and got an extra playoff run out of him it would have been fair.

But given the team needed to compete this season, and were in dire need of a quality defender, the deal still makes sense to me, even if suboptimal.
This is kind of where I am landing.

He is no longer out performing his contract and I question how much of the pairs success is his doing as he is playing Robin to QHs norris winning Batman.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think the Canucks definitely paid a steep price for Hronek. It is important to note that at the time of the trade the Canucks didn't know which RD options would be available in the summer and Hronek is younger.

I would assume that management had a good idea of Hronek's contract demands and a number they think they can sign him to. I assume the latter number has been adjusted up to get it done. Even for the sake of our own conversation, there were Wings fans who believed that Hronek's next contract might land somewhere between $7-8M. Certainly $6.5M AAV was a reasonable expectation given Severson's contract (which is what the Canucks were offering him previously).

Personally, I don't place much importance on the value the Canucks got from Hronek's previous contract. On a Cup contender, certainly that has value. If Hronek was signed long term at a good cap hit like Miller was when we acquired him that has value. But here, I would hope management took a long term view. You don't give up a potential top 15 pick + 2nd round pick if you're not comfortable with the price of Hronek's extension.

I think in some ways the evaluation is skewed because management had previously extracted Islanders' first for Horvat. Had then simply made a Horvat + 2nd for Hronek + Raty + Beauvillier we would have thought it to be a fair price given Horvat's pending UFA status and our need for a RHD.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver

Allan basically called out Seravalli and some Vancouver media

Interesting. You can tell he isn't the chattiest guy and likes to keep to himself, so its not just some vendetta he had with the media. He was smiling as he was on friendly territory and they were trying to guide him along and get him to speak but still didn't really want to say a ton. Sometimes people can be a little more uncomfortable if it's not their first language and they can't always find the words to express themselves, but I think this is just his personality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad