Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That is utter bullshit.

He singlehandedly tanked the 2022-23 season.

He had higher GA than many goalies in the league in the first few weeks.

He scored 82 points for $5 million. He had a stinky first 20 games and then was excellent the rest of the season.

Your hyperbolic reaction to Miller at the time was crazy and you aren't backing off of it.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He scored 82 points for $5 million. He had a stinky first 20 games and then was excellent the rest of the season.

Your hyperbolic reaction to Miller at the time was crazy and you aren't backing off of it.
Ive backed off plenty on my takes on Miller. Again and again and again.

But I dont think it can be overstated how horrific he was for the first half of 2022.

I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to rewrite that part of history unless out of bias.

WE WILL NOT TURN THIS INTO A JT MILLER THREAD
:sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ive backed off plenty on my takes on Miller. Again and again and again.

But I dont think it can be overstated how horrific he was for the first half of 2022.

I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to rewrite that part of history unless out of bias.

:sarcasm:

He stunk for 20 games (but still produced).

By the 2nd 20-game segment he was fine. He was then legitimately good in the 2nd half. Overall he still more than paid for his contract. Like, the value that the team got from Miller for $5 million in 22-23 sure as f*** blew the value that they got for Boeser at $6.8 million out of the water but for some reason you're defending Boeser and hating on Miller.

He's a spaz and honestly I think his body language when he was extremely frustrated got projected onto his play more than anything.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
There was a lot of reason to be concerned with Miller's play in 22-23, but it wasn't because of the contract he was currently playing on, it was because of the contract he had signed in the preceding off season.

Reactions: Regal and MS

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Seriously, for someone who disappear offensively since the all star break and pretty much a liability in the post-season, holy cow, to say this is an overpayment is an understatement.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
That Miller thread was pure stupidity.

So many legitimately looked at this roster, right up until the start of this season, and thought 'rebuild'.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He stunk for 20 games (but still produced).

By the 2nd 20-game segment he was fine. He was then legitimately good in the 2nd half. Overall he still more than paid for his contract. Like, the value that the team got from Miller for $5 million in 22-23 sure as f*** blew the value that they got for Boeser at $6.8 million out of the water but for some reason you're defending Boeser and hating on Miller.

He's a spaz and honestly I think his body language when he was extremely frustrated got projected onto his play more than anything.
Lets continue this in the correct thread if you want.

I agree with you more than you think.

Reactions: Vector and MS

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hopefully this keeps JT Hughes happy and both of them excel. Filip Mronek was actually pretty great for the first half despite not shooting enough

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This Hronek extension is fine.

Its just over the cap hit I would have wanted for someone whose contribution to the Hughes pairing I still have a hard time quanrifying and who keeps getting injured...

Its great to have clarity. I worried this would drag on closer to the key arbitration dates.

Reactions: MarkMM

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I said the Devon Toews contract should be the upper limit and that's what he got. He got another year but he's also 3 years younger than Toews so that seems reasonable.

Like it or not, he would have gotten this amount based on his last two seasons in Detroit, so you can't really argue he was signed because he plays with Hughes. Perhaps his falling to earth in the 2nd half of the season was a blessing in disguise because they could have been looking at $2m / season more.

The Canucks will still have an opportunity to move him before next season should the need arise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I said the Devon Toews contract should be the upper limit and that's what he got. He got another year but he's also 3 years younger than Toews so that seems reasonable.

Like it or not, he would have gotten this amount based on his last two seasons in Detroit, so you can't really argue he was signed because he plays with Hughes. Perhaps his falling to earth in the 2nd half of the season was a blessing in disguise because they could have been looking at $2m / season more.

The Canucks will still have an opportunity to move him before next season should the need arise.
That is the key. Had they been the same age, Toews cap aav would be like $1 million plus more than Hronek's rather than just $500K.

I mean, Toews when he begins year 6 and 7 at 35 and 36 years of age, probably would be paid like $5-$5.75 mill in real money. Whereas if he was starting at age 28, 29, those 2 years, he'd be paid mid $8's or so. So, that would be around $6 mill more in real money, which averaged out over the term of a deal would be about $750K higher on the AAV.

That's why the AAV variance between the 2 is closer than some might like. But, not a true apples to apples because of the age difference.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I know this isn't a logical way to look at the whole situation, but in my mind we traded Horvat for Hronek essentially, so considering we have had 1 year of Hronek at $4.4m, and then 8 more years at $7.25m (27 to 35 years old seasons), comparing to Horvat at 8 years at $8.5m almost immediately (28 to 36 years old seasons), I think we did pretty good overall.

The contract is fair. There is downside risk if we get "2nd half Hronek" for the majority of the contract, but also upside reward if we get "1st half Hronek" for the majority.

Having Hronek and Willander on the top 2 pairs going forward seems very solid, assuming Willander hits his pre-draft projection. RHD is the toughest position to fill, if we can have Hronek-Willander locked up the top 2 spots there, I think we are in good shape.

That's a good way of looking at it. If we extend Hughes we're looking at the majority of our D, 3 of our top 3/4 locked up for the foreseeable future. Pretty damn great and important in the big scheme of things.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
That's a good way of looking at it. If we extend Hughes we're looking at the majority of our D, 3 of our top 3/4 locked up for the foreseeable future. Pretty damn great and important in the big scheme of things.
A D-core of Hughes-Hronek-Willander seems like a pretty good core, assuming again that Willander develop as expected. Speed, skills, passing, shooting, 2-way play, ice-tilting, etc. It has everything except size, which is not impossible to address (we acquired Soucy, Cole, Zadorov just in the last 12 months). Its a nice foundation to build on.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Definitely one mitigating factor regarding this contract. If PLD can be moved then the team should have no issues moving Hronek (if the need arises).

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
A D-core of Hughes-Hronek-Willander seems like a pretty good core, assuming again that Willander develop as expected. Speed, skills, passing, shooting, 2-way play, ice-tilting, etc. It has everything except size, which is not impossible to address (we acquired Soucy, Cole, Zadorov just in the last 12 months). Its a nice foundation to build on.

If all goes well, EP2 would ripen right around the time when Soucy's contract ends.

Reactions: mossey3535

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
now that the contract extension is done hronek better be shooting 500 picks a day learning how to hit the motherf***ing net

and retraining himself to move the puck under pressure, because he got way too used to auto-dropping the puck back to hughes whenever a forechecker so much as looked at him

Reactions: mossey3535

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
now that the contract extension is done hronek better be shooting 500 picks a day learning how to hit the motherf***ing net

and retraining himself to move the puck under pressure, because he got way too used to auto-dropping the puck back to hughes whenever a forechecker so much as looked at him
Id go easy on him to start. 100 at a barn, 50 at a garage door, and 25 at the net in front of it

• Haha
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
In his presser, he mentioned getting stronger as the biggest factor in him keeping up his performance for the full season. The trend of fading in the second half was noted by Detroit fans last fall when he was doing well. If that is the situation, getting stronger is pretty feasible, although tough to do in one offseason. Be interesting to see how he looks brand new again next fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad