Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think Hronek is probably worth 6 million without Hughes, so in that sense this is an overpayment. But a rising cap over the 8 years, and assuming Hronek's play doesn't tank for at least the first six years or so, should make this is reasonably good contract.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
These analytic guys go wayyy overboard. 3rd pairing defender is just ridiculous based on results alone
I quite like McCurdy's website. A lot of great information (and visualizations) to be found.

The problem that models like Isolated Impact (HockeyViz) or RAPM (Evolving Hockey) seem to have is when there is a lot of collinearity. The models are basically complex WOWYs (with some other variables as well), so when two players spend nearly 100% of the time together, there isn't much sample to determine who was "driving" it. If Hronek plays with Soucy and has a bad couple shifts, the model concludes Hronek is "bringing down" his teammates.

In most other cases, I find them pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
ooohhhhhhh shit! not a bad deal, I think?

I so hope he was actually injured during the playoffs though. If he was not, his performance is inexcusable.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
At the end of the day, he’s a well liked teammate and your franchise player likes playing with him.

His status meant you had next to no leverage other than the player’s agent clearly stating that he really wants to stay.

Him at this number doesn’t stop you from doing what you need to do - which is upgrading on Myers so that you have a pair that doesn’t get as hemmed as Myers-Soucy did, and a high end top six forward to generate more offense.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The Montour contract is going to be astronomically bad.
well it is going to use Hronek as a comparable and he will most likely get way more than what Hronek got due to him being a free UFA asset and he had like 1 year where he put up like 73 points.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
glad we were able to sign him. a tad pricey but. ....

I hope we find a way to keep big Z. can you imagine a 3 - 4 of Z and Willander in 2 years?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't think this can be overstated. Hronek is the first long-term quality partner he's had since Tanev, and he's only 26. I think that's an important consideration.

Exactly. He's 26, Hughes is 24. Hughes hit his career high with his off-season work and with Hronek as his partner. Hronek scored basically on his normal pace without PP1 time so his production isn't completely driven by being paired with Hughes. Hronek is also a RHD, that is basically the equivalent of diamonds and gold bullion in the NHL.

I think 7.25 is reasonable with the possibility of being great value as cap rises and if this pairing maintains even their regular season dominance. Just keeping them together is definitely worth $750k to me.

Hronek has a lot of work to do with his rush defence positioning and just general awareness in his own zone but more years with Foote and Gonchar should help and I expect him to improve in that area.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
thats a lot of years for a guy that no showed the playoffs

Not only is he 26 but that was his first playoff experience ever.

I feel far too many people forget Hronek is largely inexperienced despite being in the league for a while. It's a gamble but one we really had to make. There's no way with both his age and upside in the FA market. Willander may be great one day but that won't be for years if at all.

Frankly, I'm pretty happy with this. It'll either look reasonable or be a complete steal in a few years time.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Happy to get this done. I'm okay with this deal. Realistically Hronek being a RHD put himself in a position to command a premium. I think Hanifin's contract and Hronek's 2nd half struggles (regardless of reasons) did help Hronek come down in his ask (which I didn't think was reasonable).

We really did swap Horvat for Hronek.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Decent deal he is still young should get better and as cap increases and past management mistakes get cleared away builds a solid core to work around .
Hope big z will sign for a reasonable deal and fill out forward spots next.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
just going on record to say i hate this deal

too much term and too much money for a guy who has two decent half seasons in six years in the league. would have rather have spent it on theodore next season

i hope someone is able to rub my face in this post in the future but this is the worst transaction of the rutherford/allvin era so far imo

Reactions: mriswith

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
just going on record to say i hate this deal

too much term and too much money for a guy who has two decent half seasons in six years in the league. would have rather have spent it on theodore next season

i hope someone is able to rub my face in this post in the future but this is the worst transaction of the rutherford/allvin era so far imo

I can do this for your opinion from last season's defenceman signings. Apparently I bookmarked them and just realized it last week.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
well it is going to use Hronek as a comparable and he will most likely get way more than what Hronek got due to him being a free UFA asset and he had like 1 year where he put up like 73 points.
All the hallmarks of a massive overpayment (and massive mistake): Huge fluke year, "winning" pedigree, UFA who is already probably past his peak...

Not to mention he is horrific defensively. I will legitimately feel bad for whoever signs Montour. No one at all would think he is good if he didn't get PP time, and actually evaluated him on something other than purely point production.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I can do this for your opinion from last season's defenceman signings. Apparently I bookmarked them and just realized it last week.

what were they? as i recall i liked soucy, hated cole and was lukewarm on zadorov (when they traded for him). i was probably mildly upset they missed out on graves on his deal (which i think i thought was pretty decent?) and happy they dodged the severson contract. i doubt i commented on friedman

i also recall wanting the team to sign mikkola but i dunno if i ever wrote that down anywhere

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks had to find a way to get this done--given what they gave up for Hronek. He's a rare right-shot d-man who's almost a guaranteed 45-55 point d-man if the stays healthy.

$7.25m is probably a slight overpayment......but his eight-year contract will carry him through to his 34th birthday. So basically he's now a Canuck for life.

But still a lot more work to be done on the blueline....with only Hughes, Soucy, Juulsen and now Hronek signed.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Man, I do NOT like signing bonuses, but for this player, I like the AAV. People complaining that he's not elite need to realize that's why he's getting 7 and not 10. RHD are expensive. I can live with this.

I think that will slowly start to be the norm as buyouts become more popular. I can't exactly blame guys for wanting to ensure they don't just get bought out suddenly and have to uproot everything.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
what were they? as i recall i liked soucy, hated cole and was lukewarm on zadorov (when they traded for him). i was probably mildly upset they missed out on graves on his deal (which i think i thought was pretty decent?) and happy they dodged the severson contract. i doubt i commented on friedman

i also recall wanting the team to sign mikkola but i dunno if i ever wrote that down anywhere

This was from the Canucks off-season prior to the Zadorov trade:

hronek, soucy and cole are an improvement on d but they're also down oel, bear, schenn and burroughs. it's not as big an upgrade as some are representing. the bottom pairing is going to be something like wolanin/myers. that's still really bad

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Seravelli wasn’t really wrong, by the way. Hronek actually got a bit more with the 8th year then he would have gotten going to market. $58M in total contract vs $56M at 7x$8M AAV. Only reason this doesn’t start with an 8 is the extra year other teams couldn’t offer.

Basically paid what was predicted in total contract value. Anything shorter and it’s $8M+ AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad