Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Dakota Joshua to 4y/3.25m Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
No one, not even Zad, thinks he's going to be a #3 moving forward.
That's where you are wrong. Because I think he absolutely does think that. And why wouldn't he? He just finished playing great as the number three defensmen on a team that was one game away from the conference finals.

I think your whole opinion is based on the faulty premise that Zadorov cannot develop and be more than what he was in the regular season because defensemen generally don't develop as they age beyond 29 years old. But again, Zadorov isn't your normal defensemen.

With that all said, I am not saying that he necessarily will. But the idea that he cannot is not sound.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and quat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm generally in agreement with you both so I don't want to nitpick much, but his true downside is probably a 4th liner given that that's what he was a calendar year ago.

But I agree there is upside to. This is just an inherently more risky contract based on the small sample size.

Even when he was on the 4th line in 22-23 he scored 23 points and outscored his minutes/usage in a huge way.

For him to stay healthy and only score 12 or 15 points or something would be a huge outlier of a result.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Ok, can definitely live with that. About 7% lower than I anticipated on the lower end.

Dhaliwal hilariously just said like 5 mins ago that Joshua is done because he's priced himself out. Go Rick.
This is funny. I mean no malice or anything, but I always get a bit of a kick out of hustlers looking silly.

Reactions: calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I know people hate Suter in the top 6, but he was a nice 3rd wheel there so as of now we have:

Hoglander(?) - Petey - ______
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Just get Petey a legit playdriving winger who can put up 60+ points. If they're bringing back Zadorov, Hog is pretty much penciled in next to Petey then
For me I didn’t hate it, I just don’t think that’s the spot he’s going to excel at the most and people were expecting him to put up offensive numbers he’s never had before. He was signed as a 3rd liner who can chip in offensively and be solid and reliable defensively.

I think the team should absolutely try and upgrade but I’m not going to be mad if they don’t. I think he fit in fine on that line

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
For me I didn’t hate it, I just don’t think that’s the spot he’s going to excel at the most and people were expecting him to put up offensive numbers he’s never had before. He was signed as a 3rd liner who can chip in offensively and be solid and reliable defensively.

I think the team should absolutely try and upgrade but I’m not going to be mad if they don’t. I think he fit in fine on that line
I like Suter on that line because he's one of the best players we've got at being able to forecheck but also drop back and allow a d man to activate. I think he's an overlooked part of why Hughes was able to play so deep in the zone with Miller and Boeser.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I like Suter on that line because he's one of the best players we've got at being able to forecheck but also drop back and allow a d man to activate. I think he's an overlooked part of why Hughes was able to play so deep in the zone with Miller and Boeser.

I don't love Suter in the top 6 (like many) but he is very good at intercepting passes and disrupting plays in the neutral zone - particularly between center and the opponents blue line imo. Petey is also good at this which is why I sorta thought it might be interesting to play them together. But he fits well with Miller. If we sign Guentzel there are some interesting options and configurations to try. If Guentzel doesn't click with Petterson I wouldn't mind them trying this at some point:

Guentzel - Miller - Suter
Joshua - Petterson - Boeser

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I said $3.75M x 3 and then subtract from the AAV for additional term and any movement protection. With the fourth year and the 12-team NTC for every season, the $3.25M AAV is pretty much spot on. Seems like a fair contract for both parties.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The reality is that when a coveted player hits the UFA market, a team is always going to have to overpay. That's just the reality of the situation.

So could Joshua have done better if he'd waited out the July 1st deadline? Quite probably. But returning to Vancouver was always his top priority, so he probably left a few bucks on the table.

A fair deal for both teams--but probably not possible if they hadn't moved Mikheyev's money to the Hawks.

Reactions: arttk and Regal

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Boy looks good in green n blue.

Garly, Dak, n Teddy soon to be a 2nd line!

Team identity goes far.

Championship on the way....

_____

To keep it perspective, the team is playing for PLAYOFF success, and they have 82 games to tune up for it ....

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
I don't love Suter in the top 6 (like many) but he is very good at intercepting passes and disrupting plays in the neutral zone - particularly between center and the opponents blue line imo. Petey is also good at this which is why I sorta thought it might be interesting to play them together. But he fits well with Miller. If we sign Guentzel there are some interesting options and configurations to try. If Guentzel doesn't click with Petterson I wouldn't mind them trying this at some point:

Guentzel - Miller - Suter
Joshua - Petterson - Boeser
It's an interesting idea and as you say, there would have to be back up plans if Jake and Petey don't fit. That's another plus of Joshua extending and it's curious that he has hardly played with Pettersson assuming my memory is correct on that.
I agree with you on Suter in the neutral zone, and Bluger's good for that too. In a good way I often mistake both of them for Pettersson in that spot.

I'm iffy on the whole Guentzel idea because it feels to me like if he and Petey together don't work brilliantly you're then taking away from lines Tocchet really trusts to find something new again beyond general shake-ups. If I was less keen on keeping Suter with Miller and Boeser I'd probably be more open to it I guess.
I'm really not adverse to the team circling back on Lindholm instead of he finds the free agent offers disappointing but that's perhaps a long shot.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That's where you are wrong. Because I think he absolutely does think that. And why wouldn't he? He just finished playing great as the number three defensmen on a team that was one game away from the conference finals.

I think your whole opinion is based on the faulty premise that Zadorov cannot develop and be more than what he was in the regular season because defensemen generally don't develop as they age beyond 29 years old. But again, Zadorov isn't your normal defensemen.

With that all said, I am not saying that he necessarily will. But the idea that he cannot is not sound.

The idea that he cannot has a very high probability. Therefore, it is sound logically.

But the crux of the argument is what Zadorov things about himself, and with that, who knows?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The idea that he cannot has a very high probability. Therefore, it is sound logically.
Perhaps? But my point is that this conclusion is based on the premise that the average defensemen doesn't improvement much from 29 years onwards. And that's probably true. But Zadorov, because of his unique size and skating ability, isn't the average defensemen.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1719547744430.gif

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

No, that's not what my opinion is. I agree he could theoretically develop into more. I'm saying Allvin isn't going to pay him based on the theoretical possibility that he becomes a #3 after Soucy was ahead of him on the depth chart all year.

My opinion is that he's going to get paid a ~1.5M premium because of size, physicality and general menace. He wants to crush his enemies, see them flee before him and hear the lamentations of their women. That's why he's going to make way more than his on ice play is worth and on our team it'll probably be worth it in the playoffs.

It's easy to forget that a couple months ago the league believed his value at 3.75M to be a 3rd round pick aka the GM's in this league believed his cap hit accurately assessed his play at that amount.

Could he become a #3? He could become a #1 and score 30 goals next year, however unlikely. My opinion isn't that it's impossible, it's that he isn't going to get paid based on those possibilities. He's going to get a huge premium for being a massive physical menace and it'll probably be worth it.

Similarly, Joshua's physicality mitigates the risk his production declines. He doesn't have to have 3.25M production to be worth his deal when he's bringing a big physical element that we need and will pay a premium for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad