Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Tanev just shut down Eichel and MacKinnon in the playoffs.

He has literally the lowest expected goals against in the entire league over the last couple seasons.

At this moment he is perhaps the single best defensive defenseman in the league, at worst he's merely "elite" in a group with a few others. Right shot on a team desperate for them. Some of the comments here wondering how he could help are really weird. If he gets hurt he's on LTIR, freeing up that cap space. The downsides are being exaggerated.
It’s a weird place.

He checks every box we need atm, the future is uncertain, it always is, this move makes us better next season and probably for 2-3. Yes please.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm fine with it. Hopefully it comes in under the 4 the media is throwing out there but it wouldn't surprise me either.

6 years minimum though by the sounds of it. Worry about that in 3 years. Right now It 100% makes the Leafs a better team and more time to go after other guys tomorrow.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Of course you do.

I don't think I'm in the minority here either.

An older beaten down Tanev, coming here on a long term deal, doesn't sound like a good idea to A LOT of fans, not just me. This is a questionable move carrying a lot more risk than other options that were available. And if he signs Zadarov too, then the same defense that wasn't good enough in Calgary will now be on the Leafs, except the older version.

We just saw this same show with Brodie and Giordano did we not?

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think I'm in the minority here either.

An older beaten down Tanev, coming here on a long term deal, doesn't sound like a good idea to A LOT of fans, not just me. This is a questionable move carrying a lot more risk than other options that were available. And if he signs Zadarov too, then the same defense that wasn't good enough in Calgary will now be on the Leafs, except the older version.

We just saw this same show with Brodie and Giordano did we not?
Older beaten down? Oh give it up, he was amazing this year. What a load of crap. Look at Hainsey here when he was 38? Even Gio when he first came? You sky is forever falling types have Tanev coming in on a wheelchair in September, come on. Geez.

We got ourselves a player next year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Older beaten down? Oh give it up, he was amazing this year. What a load of crap. Look at Hainsey here when he was 38? Even Gio when he first came? You sky is forever falling types have Tanev coming in a wheelchair in September, come on. Geez.

We got ourselves a player next year.
Hard to believe he has been able to stay pretty much healthy since he left Vancouver. The guy is a warrior but he has more hard miles on him than Hainsey. Huge risk but if they are confident they can LTIR him, I'm in.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Hard to believe he has been able to stay pretty much healthy since he left Vancouver. The guy is a warrior but he has more hard miles on him than Hainsey. Huge risk but if they are confident they can LTIR him, I'm in.

If they permanent LTIR him does that mean they lose the ability to pro-rate their cap space for trade deadline those years?

It would be a pretty big disadvantage if that was the case: anyone they bring in at deadline would have to be dollar for dollar cap hit instead of just 25% of their AAV if the team was carrying space.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I have been advocating for Tanev for years. I have always believed he would be a great fit with Mo.

I am not sure how many hood years he has left, but for those who still believe he is injury prone, know he didn't miss many games in Calgary at all.

It looks like Marner is staying this year, so if they add Tanev and either Roy or Zadorov, I can't see how they fix the fact they can't score in the playoffs, but it might set up the D for 2025 when Tavares and Marner come off the books
Maybe they figure the coaching change is enough to get the PP/PK fixed. Leafs actually played pretty decent playoff hockey games 4-7 (boneheaded brain lapse Gm7OT an exception)

Reactions: Jojalu

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If they permanent LTIR him does that mean they lose the ability to pro-rate their cap space for trade deadline those years?

It would be a pretty big disadvantage if that was the case: anyone they bring in at deadline would have to be dollar for dollar cap hit instead of just 25% of their AAV if the team was carrying space.
I'm no expert but if they spend to the cap, his cap hit plays no part (see Klingberg and Murray).

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Its looks like it will happen and Im never a big fan of signing soon to be 35 yr old players but he is a very good defensive player and we all know Reilly needs all the help he get get.

Sign him to a long deal so the cap is low. Just like we will probably do to Taveres when his contract ends next yr. Let them retire as leafs....

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
In your lifetime how many times have you entered a season thinking the Leafs were a legit Cup contender? Never?
Actually several?

He’s been more healthy the last three season than at any other point, which is interesting, also encouraging.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I am hoping it's a 6 years x 3.5M, then retire or LTIRetire at year 4-6. That would be amazing.
I think that's the only way this gets done. On the open market I'm sure someone would pay him his current salary (likely a little more) over 3 years.

I'd be fine with a 3 to 3.5 Mil over 7 years, knowing that LTIR will be coming. Front loaded contract so it it easily traded 4 to 6 years down the road for a pick. It's a easy way for the Leafs to take advantage of their financial power.

Reactions: Kazparov

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think that's the only way this gets done. On the open market I'm sure someone would pay him his current salary (likely a little more) over 3 years.

I'd be fine with a 3 to 3.5 Mil over 7 years, knowing that LTIR will be coming. Front loaded contract so it it easily traded 4 to 6 years down the road for a pick. It's a easy way for the Leafs to take advantage of their financial power.

They start getting in trouble when they tack on the extra years to get him to pick us instead of adding them to benefit our cap. 3x7 would be fine enough, I just have a bad feeling we’re looking at another Marleau situation where we end up offering more term than anyone else, more AAV than anyone else, and slap on a full NMC for the duration just to win his services.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Injuries + age/style is a perfectly valid leg to stand on. He's a good player but giving him 5-6-7 years is risky, even if you plan to eventually put him on LTIR (which he has to be down with). LTIR is a potential headache. Still, gotta get creative so we'll see what the # comes in at
Tanev injuries is just so much overrated... he missed like 24 game last 3 years...

pesce missed 32 game
Montour missed 19 game
Roy missed 16 games

So we should be concern about montour , pesce and Roy injuries?

Mccabe missed 22
rielly missed 27

We should be concerned about both?

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I am hoping it's a 6 years x 3.5M, then retire or LTIRetire at year 4-6. That would be amazing.
There is definitely a wink wink nudge nudge very discreet conversation that happened regarding this.

Treliving: So excited for you to be a Leaf for the next 8 years.

Tanev:

gif.gif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe they figure the coaching change is enough to get the PP/PK fixed. Leafs actually played pretty decent playoff hockey games 4-7 (boneheaded brain lapse Gm7OT an exception)
The PP is still an unknown, but Keefe’s PP was such a disaster you knew it would struggle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad