OT: OT - I knew I should'a taken that left turn at Albuquerque

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Have you ever gone back and listened to the song "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)"?

I did earlier this year, I'm 42, and it was definitely an experience to listen to a song I heard when I was 17, and now hear it with completely different perspectives.

And yes, look after yourselves people ... especially as you start to exit your 30s and into your 40s. My problem is my hobby is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Im not amazing at it, but i love it. It keeps me fit with one of the best overall body workouts around ... buuuuut it's also very hard on the body too so i have to be careful and listen to my body. It was a huge mindset shift to me to adjust from back when i was like "there is no stop, fight everyone no matter how big they are, fight through pain." Now I do not fight everyone. I turn down people that can damage me. I listen when my body tells me I might be a bit injured. Hard lessons. Hard to adjust your ego.

I always thought that too, but it's easy to cast stones when I'm 160lbs, 6ft 2in and ate like a waste disposal unit all through my life til recently. These days I am more understanding. I've seen people work extremely hard for little gain. I know people who would love to exercise the weight away but they have injuries or a body that won't let them (or at least would make it very difficult), and then honestly there is the question of how hard do you go. If I knew I had to spend hours at tye gym every day to maintain my weight would I have the discipline to do it? If it was the gym, hell no. So I can understand some people just go "ehhh f*** it, this is me"
I'm a personal trainer I've seen plenty of success and non success stories, i don't feel like explaining science to people who deny it.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
that was a fantastic show. as a long time techie, it was so true to life in our world, and even more so if you worked at a startup or during the boom times.
I was a contractor at Microsoft when the show premiered and worked a lot with the personnel of companies and startups they acquired. f***ing uncanny

Reactions: oldgoalie

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Also, as a tech person- have you ever watch Silicon Valley? My wife and I have binged it. I never thought they could make the tech industry funny and entertaining, but they managed!
Nope haven't seen it. That must've passed me by. I'll have a look and see which streaming option it's on.
I'm a personal trainer I've seen plenty of success and non success stories, i don't feel like explaining science to people who deny it.
I don't really understand putting words in people's mouths. I didn't say I deny science. You know very little about me at all. I was just supporting understanding and especially the fact that for some people they have made a decision that the effort outweighs the gain.

Change of topic. Navajo Sterling used to train at my BJJ gym. Happy to see he's still powering towards his dream. UFC Contender Series is the next step to take. He was always a beast at BJJ and it surprises me not one iota that he's at least made it to this level of competition. Training at City Kickboxing in Auckland which was where a number of UFC fighters came from, including Israel Adesanya.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Nope haven't seen it. That must've passed me by. I'll have a look and see which streaming option it's on.

I don't really understand putting words in people's mouths. I didn't say I deny science. You know very little about me at all. I was just supporting understanding and especially the fact that for some people they have made a decision that the effort outweighs the gain.

Change of topic. Navajo Sterling used to train at my BJJ gym. Happy to see he's still powering towards his dream. UFC Contender Series is the next step to take. He was always a beast at BJJ and it surprises me not one iota that he's at least made it to this level of competition. Training at City Kickboxing in Auckland which was where a number of UFC fighters came from, including Israel Adesanya.

I wasn't referring to you about the science topic but who you were quoting before me.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I wasn't referring to you about the science topic but who you were quoting before me.
You can see why the internet gets filled with unnecessarily angry people. In written form it's so easy to misunderstand. You quote me so I understandably think you are talking about me.

No harm no foul.

Reactions: Willgamesh

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Scientists have recently discovered a new subspecies living in the Andes that they have named the Murder Llama:
20240626_164357.jpg

Reactions: KiwiGriff

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Back in the gym and I feel f***ing fantastic. Life is hard, for me I just get down and it spirals. Then I get back in the gym, that motivates me to make other changes, and I start feeling better again. That’s just me- mental illness is real, and life 100% interrupts a focus on improved physical health sometimes, but just sayin- it feels so damn good to have that task done for the day. Still have 5-10 pounds of fat to lose, but progressive overload is actually making me some muscle gains for once.

Quit smoking a few months back, thanks solar job! Seriously, it stressed me out so much I had to quit- couldn’t have one after every bad interaction, so I just went without instead.

Oh, and I got a job with USPS! Long hours, exhausting, hopefully it’s exactly what I need. I start in a few weeks, so we’ll see.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Is it me, or has the level of angst around the Sabres fan base really kicked up the noise on the axe grinding? You get the same stale arguments over and over again. I get people are fed up, but man, seems like a lot of people that are unhappy as a baseline.

It's sad, because I generally find no pleasure in using the ignore button, but seems like a necessary evil right now.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Is it me, or has the level of angst around the Sabres fan base really kicked up the noise on the axe grinding? You get the same stale arguments over and over again. I get people are fed up, but man, seems like a lot of people that are unhappy as a baseline.

It's sad, because I generally find no pleasure in using the ignore button, but seems like a necessary evil right now.
I took everyone off ignore at the end of the season (April), but there is atleast a dozen going back on real soon (was trying to wait til the start of the season because a few of them do have good takes most of the time)

Reactions: old kummelweck

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Absolutely no coincidence whatsoever this was posted one day before the 17th anniversary of 7/1/2007, also known as Larry Quinn day.

btw, Happy Canada Day to our northern neighbors, and happy 57th birthday to Pamela Anderson, born on the day of the Canadian Centennial.

Reactions: old kummelweck

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Another horrendous showing for the US Men’s soccer team, although they got essentially the same reffing experience, or perhaps even worse, than the Bills do at Arrowhead, in this particular Copa America match. That being said, the squad’s consistent lack of technical skill and creativity year over year is astounding. Just zero ability to create and/or execute plays from anyone there aside from Pulisic and Reyna. No idea why they rehired Berhalter, the guy couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad