Canucks quietly have the deepest forward group in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
OEL elite :laugh:
Depending on what your definition of elite is, but he does things defensively that most d men can’t. He was playing behind Hughes so he hasn’t been able to rack up points, but this is still a very good defenceman.

Well another year of optimism but same issue rely on foreards to play well enough to cover suspect D.
These are young players still evolving, so it’s there’s a good chance the team does break out in a big way offensively. Plus the added depth of Kuz and Mik. I expect big things from this team this year.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
These are young players still evolving, so it’s there’s a good chance the team does break out in a big way offensively. Plus the added depth of Kuz and Mik. I expect big things from this team this year.

5th or 6th place is likely.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Depending on what your definition of elite is, but he does things defensively that most d men can’t. He was playing behind Hughes so he hasn’t been able to rack up points, but this is still a very good defenceman.

OEL isn't good defensively :laugh:

Reactions: capazzo

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
You must be going on what you have heard and haven’t watched him play. You are 100% wrong. Before you post laughing emoji’s you should know what you’re talking about. Or are you just trolling. Not familiar with you.
I know plenty about that guy going to his Yotes days. He is not a good defender. Just an absurd take that a guy whose calling card is his puck movement is a good defender when that was his major issue for years.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
McD
Drai
Kane
RNH
Hyman
Yammamoto
Puljujarvi
Mcleod
Foegle/Janmark

vs

Miller
Elias
Boeser
Horvat
Garland
Mikheyev
Pearson
Pod
Kuz/Hog

Without Kane maybe but with him, their depth beats Nucks. Goalie is no question favouring Nucks but another thing is durability. Nucks seem to never stay healthy.
My personal ranking:

1. McDavid
2. Drai

3. Pettersson
4. Miller
5. Kane

6. RNH
7. Horvat
8. Hyman
9. Garland
10. Boeser
11. Kuzmenko

12. Mikheyev

13. Yammamoto
14. Hoglander
15. Podkolzin
16. Poolparty

17. Pearson
18. Mcleod
19. Foegle
20. Janmark

The high end depth kills Vancouver and the middle depth kills Edmonton. It's pretty close in my opinion and I watch both teams. Just depends on health/who has good years. I personally think Edmonton will still be the top offensive team in the division.

I know plenty about that guy going to his Yotes days. He is not a good defender. Just an absurd take that a guy whose calling card is his puck movement is a good defender when that was his major issue for years.
He was fantastic last year defensively. His offense wasn't good lol.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Players like Boeser, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Garland.

Are all in a state they could explode offensively next year from the indications shown.

Players like Hoglander, Mikaheyv.

Could also have a suprise jump.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

But I am pretty excited to see a fresh season under Boudreau, albeit I was excited for any year the moment Pettersson and Hughes showed glimpse of stardom.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

What can he do that other defensemen can't? :popcorn:

Reactions: capazzo

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Not one of the best. Definitely top 10 though. I really like the look of it, especially if Petty can step it up again

Saviour

Aug 10, 2022
My personal ranking:

1. McDavid
2. Drai

3. Pettersson
4. Miller
5. Kane

6. RNH
7. Horvat
8. Hyman
9. Garland
10. Boeser
11. Kuzmenko

12. Mikheyev

13. Yammamoto
14. Hoglander
15. Podkolzin
16. Poolparty

17. Pearson
18. Mcleod
19. Foegle
20. Janmark

The high end depth kills Vancouver and the middle depth kills Edmonton. It's pretty close in my opinion and I watch both teams. Just depends on health/who has good years. I personally think Edmonton will still be the top offensive team in the division.

Not sure if players like Hoglander are better than Ryan McLeod. Hyman and Horvat simply cancel each other out. One is a center and a little more productive overall, the other is a puck hound and plays an excellent 2 way game.

Poolparty can easily jump ahead of several of these players but who knows.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Not sure if players like Hoglander are better than Ryan McLeod. Hyman and Horvat simply cancel each other out. One is a center and a little more productive overall, the other is a puck hound and plays an excellent 2 way game.

Poolparty can easily jump ahead of several of these players but who knows.
Hoglander is a puck hound and is a play driver who just had a down year and lacked trust with his coach last season. I personally think he's better offensively. Poolparty has glimpses of being good but is largely carried by the likes of playing with McDavid mainly to inflate his stats. He has talent but he doesn't drive play a whole lot. I prefer Mcleod actually but he's still unproven offensively.

But I really think you underrate Hoglander. He's capable of playing in the top 6 and he's a great forechecker and puck possession guy.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
As a Canucks fan you can’t just take optimistic projections for every player. There are significant question marks around Boeser, EP, Kuzmenko. The forward group is good but not significantly different than last year and ended fairly average.

My guess is they play EP and Miller together which puts a hole in the 3C position. If it’s someone like Dickinson then that line will produce nothing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I won't vouch for him before Vancouver but he was excellent last year. A lot of fans were saying this before he arrived but it just wasn't the case at all. World class player last year in the shut down role and was excellent when he got the odd bit of pp time when Hughes was missing.

He might become a bad player before the contract is done but not yet

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's not a bad group but knowing Miller is on his way out doesn't inspire confidence.

I find this an unpredictable group that could be middle of the pack or could be bottom 10 after trading Miller.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The Canucks do probably have a deeper forward core than say Calgary ... but I think people are not really understanding what scoring rate the Oilers scored at last year under Jay Woodcroft who dramatically improved their 5 on 5 metrics.

Under Woodcroft I believe the Oilers scored at I believe at a rate that would be 2nd in the NHL after only Florida, but unlike Florida who collapsed and got exposed in the playoffs, the Oilers offence went *up* in the playoffs even with a badly injured Draisaitl, which is scary.

Their playoffs GF is the 2nd highest in modern NHL history.

So I mean sure, you want to compare to the Oilers, tell me you can match up to that level of fire power. The Oilers in the playoffs scored nearly the same goals per game as the 86-87 Oilers literally. Not pace adjusted, they *literally* were scoring at a rate almost equal to the 80s Oilers with prime Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, etc. on it.
I only notice homerism from you on this board. This goes from Draisaitl to even Barrie & Puljujarvi.

The scoring rate under Woody you are constantly referring to is getting old too. How many times are you going to repeat that in this off-season ? I think it’s about time you come up with something new.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I only notice homerism from you on this board. This goes from Draisaitl to even Barrie & Puljujarvi.

The scoring rate under Woody you are constantly referring to is getting old too. How many times are you going to repeat that in this off-season ? I think it’s about time you come up with something new.

The scoring rate under Woodcroft and the win percentage under Woodcroft is what it is ... statistical fact. It isn't my opinion. The Oilers are an offensive juggernaut under his coaching.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He’s been an inconsistent defender in his career, but he first became a big name in the ‘12 season when the Yotes went to the Conference finals and that was more for his defense and transition play than his offense. He’s always been capable of he’s on his game. Last year, he was pretty good

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Too many what ifs or question marks to make the OPs statement.

Will Pettersson perform the way he did in the second half?

Will Miller be on the team?

Will Boeser have a bounce back season after a tough year dealing with off ice matters?

Will Podkolzin build on his strong end of year and take the next step forward?

Will Garland, Hoglander have bounce back years? Will they still be on the team?

Will Mikheyev repeat or add to last years totals in a likely increased role?

Can Kuzmenko adapt to the NHL and produce?

I think the answer for many these will be yes. I think Pettersson, Boeser and Podkolzin in particular will have increased totals next year.

The big question is whether their increases and those from remaining depth players will offset Millers lost production in the likelihood that he is moved at the beginning or some point during the season.

Last edited:

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Everyone is underrating how good Curtis Lazar is. He’ll probably score 15 goals this year with that stacked lineup. He might even propel them to 9th place in the west

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
My personal ranking:

1. McDavid
2. Drai

3. Pettersson
4. Miller
5. Kane

6. RNH
7. Horvat
8. Hyman
9. Garland
10. Boeser
11. Kuzmenko

12. Mikheyev

13. Yammamoto
14. Hoglander
15. Podkolzin
16. Poolparty

17. Pearson
18. Mcleod
19. Foegle
20. Janmark

Kuzmenko is better than nine NHLers sight unseen huh?

I know why the crayons are unused. Someone ate them, :laugh:

Crazy how the Canucks get better and better over the course of every summer.....and then the regular season starts.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The scoring rate under Woodcroft and the win percentage under Woodcroft is what it is ... statistical fact. It isn't my opinion. The Oilers are an offensive juggernaut under his coaching.
* Yes and Barrie is underrated.
* Puljujarvi is a good 2nd liner.
* Nugent Hopkins scored a massive goal at the end of game 4 to really put the Oilers in full control vs. Calgary who had a cinderella season anyway. Heck, everything Calgary are doing sucks according to you.

Did you already mention the Oilers are an offensive juggernaut ?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
What can he do that other defensemen can't? :popcorn:
You want a real answer or is this a 'le epic troll' question?

His game reads are phenomenal. Many times last year there was a 2-on-1 shaping up against him and he knew the precise timing and angle to challenge the puck carrier while the puck was bobbling. These were moments that would have been 2-on-0's if he had been wrong, but he never was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad