Rumor: Canucks prospect and U of M Captain Jacob Truscott will be testing free agency- Will not sign with the Canucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He will play in the AHL with whichever team he signs with. Doesn't sound like a John Marino who was able to go from NCAA to NHL upon signing with PItt following the trade from EDM before his rights expired. Not a great track record of guys who end up going UFA in August ending up making the NHL full time later on.

If he thinks there is a better opportunity elsewhere, best of luck to him on finding it.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I can tell people, he is part of the group of kids Detroit knows just about everything possible about since he’s been 10-11 years old. The Draper kids, if you will…. I’ve never heard they’re extremely high on him though.

So while I’d never be surprised if they signed any of those kids, as almost all of them participate in summer sessions, he’ll probably have better options for himself.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He will play in the AHL with whichever team he signs with. Doesn't sound like a John Marino who was able to go from NCAA to NHL upon signing with PItt following the trade from EDM before his rights expired. Not a great track record of guys who end up going UFA in August ending up making the NHL full time later on.

If he thinks there is a better opportunity elsewhere, best of luck to him on finding it.
You almost want to see people like him fail. I doubt this kid gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL and is off to Russa win 3 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You almost want to see people like him fail. I doubt this kid gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL and is off to Russa win 3 years.
No reason to think like that. Let's be realistic. Kids who are talented enough to go to the NHL before they graduate, typically do so that they can begin earning money. Truscott wasn't that case, so he finished school. Now, per CBA rules, he does have the option to pick a team should he want to and that appears to be his decision.

Vancouver had Lockwood and Mcdonnough finish school and sign with them and they are both gone from the organization. Rathbone also signed and his career didn't gain much traction with the club.

Now, there is a new regime in charge, who comes from Pitt where they have done a much better job of developing NCAA players in their AHL club.

but, if he's made up his mind, so be it. Will Butcher did this and he made the NHL. Chase Priskie, did the same, and he hasn't. He's going to need AHL time, so best to sign with a team with a good AHL staff.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Obviously Detroit. Michigan born, U of M.
Their AHL club will graduate Edvinsson to the NHL. Still have Wallinder, Viro, Johansen and Buium as LHD in the AHL in 24/25 season. So, either he's swinging over to the right side or he's stuck behind several D prospects that are Yzerman's guys. Probably not the ideal landing spot for him.

Reactions: harv33173

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pretty sure it was mentioned on Twitter as well

Penguins would be a good spot. Room to play, and worst case scenario, he's the top guy in Wilkes Barre and first callup when needed. Dubas likes going after NCAA free agents (as well those coming out of the CHL and European Pro), so he's probably keeping tabs on Truscott's situation.
Yeah. We have like...two defense prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: Son of Petter

horner

May 22, 2007
You really don’t, these guys owe nothing to the teams that draft them. If he thinks he can get a better opportunity elsewhere, all the power to him.
If alot of these kids weren't drafted like him wouldn't even be looked at.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Their AHL club will graduate Edvinsson to the NHL. Still have Wallinder, Viro, Johansen and Buium as LHD in the AHL in 24/25 season. So, either he's swinging over to the right side or he's stuck behind several D prospects that are Yzerman's guys. Probably not the ideal landing spot for him.
Was sorta said as a joke but Johansen is in the NHL or claimed off waivers Viro hasn’t really showed that he’s locked into any kind of spot. I’m well aware of our situation and it still has room for a free asset

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I wish the kid luck but he is going to need it as he doesn't look like a guy who will have any type of career.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You really don’t, these guys owe nothing to the teams that draft them. If he thinks he can get a better opportunity elsewhere, all the power to him.
I'm fine with the rules since it's almost always players that likely have no chance in the NHL.l

I'ts rare that a bonifide NHL prospect stays at college for four years

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Seems like he’s staying at Michigan for another year. Doesn’t that mean Van retains his rights? Or is he both UFA and at Michigan?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Seems like he’s staying at Michigan for another year. Doesn’t that mean Van retains his rights? Or is he both UFA and at Michigan?

Yes.

Anyway about the tread (not the post I'm responding to), he was drafted in 2020 in the fifth round. Anyone who takes umbrage at him for not signing (while remaining an amateur) has seriously lost the thread.

The only way the NHL can reasonably address this is to change the compensation structure for draft picks who do not sign. But there's no way there will ever be compensation for unsigned 5th round picks, lol.

Happens in baseball all the time where teams draft players on a blind hope they'll sign. But compensation for draft picks (within a pool) is much more flexible than the CBA's ELC structure.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
The people who want athletes to fail because they advocate/pursue their right to sign with whichever team fits what they're looking for are the same people that back corporations over the people that do the job or unions. It's f***ing weird lmao

Hopefully Truscott goes to a team that can give him an opportunity to succeed - whether that be at the AHL or NHL level remains to be seen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The people who want athletes to fail because they advocate/pursue their right to sign with whichever team fits what they're looking for are the same people that back corporations over the people that do the job or unions. It's f***ing weird lmao

Hopefully Truscott goes to a team that can give him an opportunity to succeed - whether that be at the AHL or NHL level remains to be seen.
Best decision is to go to a franchise with a strong AHL team that has a track record of player development. He should be prepared to play both years of his elc in the ahl.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I believe he's a free agent, Devils didn't sign Case McCarthy after he finished his senior year at BU. McCarthy ended up going back for a fifth year (and to play with his younger brother who was an incoming freshman) and signed an AHL deal with the Rangers after the season. In McCarthy's case, it seemed like the Devils weren't ready to commit an ELC rather than him being unwilling to sign.

Edit: Reading the CBA always gives me a headache, but I believe this is the pertinent clause:

iii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.

Last edited:
Reactions: tailfins

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I believe he's a free agent, Devils didn't sign Case McCarthy after he finished his senior year at BU. McCarthy ended up going back for a fifth year (and to play with his younger brother who was an incoming freshman) and signed an AHL deal with the Rangers after the season. In McCarthy's case, it seemed like the Devils weren't ready to commit an ELC rather than him being unwilling to sign.

Edit: Reading the CBA always gives me a headache, but I believe this is the pertinent clause:

I wonder what this means for Covid affected classes:

through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
They offered him a contract, he declined and said he’d rather try somewhere else. He made a presumably informed decision based on what he felt was best for his career. Why does that bother you so much that you’re rooting for him to fail?

Reactions: LTIR and lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I wish the kid luck but he is going to need it as he doesn't look like a guy who will have any type of career.

he was just another "prospect in the system" type of prospect. Even if he wants to go the san Jose sharks for example, or the Ducks, he still needs to report to training camp, work, and go from there. Chances are he will end up in the AHL anyway. best of luck to him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Could've had some value if he was a right shot RD. Every club has better LD prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad