Rumor: Canucks prospect and U of M Captain Jacob Truscott will be testing free agency- Will not sign with the Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Any rumors on where he'll sign on August 15th? Obviously Detroit and Columbus get brought up, but wondering if there's a sleeper team in the States that will push for him.
August 16th is UFA. 15th is the last signing by rights holder.

I dont know if he wants to go with friends or where he feels he has the best shot.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the Penguins would be a good choice. They are very light on defensive prospects and if they don't do well this season, they will be selling off a couple of guys - Pettersson, Gryz, and they might try to move a guy like Karlsson or Graves. In their pursuit to get younger, he could find himself in a good position.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Where did you see this? Seems like a weird move when there would be nhl/ahl interest
Pretty sure it was mentioned on Twitter as well

I think the Penguins would be a good choice. They are very light on defensive prospects and if they don't do well this season, they will be selling off a couple of guys - Pettersson, Gryz, and they might try to move a guy like Karlsson or Graves. In their pursuit to get younger, he could find himself in a good position.
Penguins would be a good spot. Room to play, and worst case scenario, he's the top guy in Wilkes Barre and first callup when needed. Dubas likes going after NCAA free agents (as well those coming out of the CHL and European Pro), so he's probably keeping tabs on Truscott's situation.

Reactions: SEALBound

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think he has a realistic shot at any nhl roster right away but he's not wrong to be skeptical of his longterm chances in vancouver and i am not sure they'd give him a contract slot anyway. they clearly prefer to back up hughes with bigger physical dmen.

my guess is he'll sign for an east coast team and ride the northeast ahl buses for the romantic experience and to see if he can get any traction. most likely the devils.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't think this is really a loss for the Canucks. AHL depth piece. There's nothing there. Canucks likely told him he's not getting an NHL gig so he decided to see what else is out there. I have no interest from a Flames perspective.
If you want a flames perspective he is one of the UMich dman that Hunter Brzustewicz decided he didn't want to have to compete with when he decommited from his dream school.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Gotta figure the next CBA will address this. Maybe they need to make the kids declare for the draft.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Canucks offered him a contract.

The timeline for all prospects was proposed to his agent. He will first report to the ahl and go from there.

Agent said he wants to try the open market.

He’s not good enough for us to be more persistent type of prospect.

We did offer him an entry level. He wanted to try with another team.

We honoured his request. As some said he’s a fringe prospect.

Best of luck to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad