2024-25 Kraken Roster discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Curious how the lines and D pairings will be with the new acquisitions.

McCann-Beniers-Bjorkstrand
Gourde-Stephenson-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Wright-Schwartz
Tanev-Kartye-Eberle

Dunn-Larsson
Evans-Montour
Oleksiak-Borgen

Grubi
Daccord

I messed around trying to figure out where to fit Gourde, Wright, Schwartz and Eberle. I feel Gourde could give that 2nd line better defense and energy. Eberle is too good to be a 4th liner but no real spots on this roster. But honestly, having a new C in Stephenson and with the expectation that Wright starts full-time in the NHL, there are too many centers which means either Wright or Gourde will need to switch to wing in the top-9. With injuries things may sort themselves out but that may not be the case at the start of the season.

I am also trying to keep Wright away from that 4C role. As far as D goes, our pairings look really good. I think the addition of Montour will likely change the whole offense of the team.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I'd like to place a wager that Wright and Tolvanen will supplant that 2nd line at some point during the season. Both are poised to break out I think. Hot take, Tolvanen 60+ pts and Wright 50+

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle isn't sticking with only 21 signed players so expect a trade of someone just so we can actually afford to have 22 to 23 signed players.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
this is a team that will be overlooked but could be sneaky good
That’s how I’m feeling too. They overachieved in Year 2 and underachieved in Year 3. Talent-wise I think they’re right back to being around Year 2-good. A wildcard spot should entirely be in reach IF they stay mostly healthy.

The question is, who in the Western Conference has regresssed?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
McCann-Beniers-Burakovsky
Wright-Stephenson-Eberle
Tolvanen-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-Kartye-Schwartz

Dunn-Larsson
Evans-Montour
Oleksiak-Borgen

Daccord
Grubi

This is a bit more conventional, I think Eberle is a better bet to play serious minutes than Schwartz, his body still works. I think they probably keep Gourde's line together to start the season and Wright starts on the wing. Starting Wright on the wing makes a lot of sense to me, I'm not one of those people that think that hurts center development. Not in the slightest.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
My take:

McCann - Beniers - Burakovsky
Tolvanen - Stephenson - Bjorkstrand
Tanev - Wright - Eberle
Schwartz - Gourde - Kartye

Dunn - Larsson
Oleksiak - Montour
Evans - Borgen

Grubauer
D'Accord

I think Francis still needs to trade a forward(Tanev) to create some cap room and also give a chance to the younger guys.

Overall we've got a really deep team that needs to create ways to score and somehow needs to get net front to score some dirty goals.

The depth should also help with Bylsma's styla(he liked to play a really heavy/intense forecheck to try and create turnovers) but we need a lot of things going our way to really push for a playoff spot.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I love Jaden Schwartz and him lifting the Cup is one of my office pics. But he was always a little gimped up. He plays 3/4 to 4/5 of a season normally

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I love Jaden Schwartz and him lifting the Cup is one of my office pics. But he was always a little gimped up. He plays 3/4 to 4/5 of a season normally
I doubt anyone would touch his contract as well

Excited to see Evans and Wright starting more this year.

What other prospects can we expect to see more of?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
McCann-Beniers-Burakovsky
Wright-Stephenson-Eberle
Tolvanen-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-Kartye-Schwartz

Dunn-Larsson
Evans-Montour
Oleksiak-Borgen

Daccord
Grubi

This is a bit more conventional, I think Eberle is a better bet to play serious minutes than Schwartz, his body still works. I think they probably keep Gourde's line together to start the season and Wright starts on the wing. Starting Wright on the wing makes a lot of sense to me, I'm not one of those people that think that hurts center development. Not in the slightest.
I like this model best. I have a sneaking suspicion that Wright starts out on wing, too. The defense looks very solid to me; in isolation, certainly playoff worthy. And I think Daccord should definitely be our #1 goalie to start the season.

Concerns: Is Daccord for real? Do we really have enough offense to make the playoffs? How far back in Beniers going to bounce? What will the Blysma effect be?

All in all, I think we are a cuspy team. I'd give our odds at making the playoffs at 50/50.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like this model best. I have a sneaking suspicion that Wright starts out on wing, too. The defense looks very solid to me; in isolation, certainly playoff worthy. And I think Daccord should definitely be our #1 goalie to start the season.

Concerns: Is Daccord for real? Do we really have enough offense to make the playoffs? How far back in Beniers going to bounce? What will the Blysma effect be?

All in all, I think we are a cuspy team. I'd give our odds at making the playoffs at 50/50.

We agree on the approach but I'm not that bullish on the results. I think our chances of making the playoffs are under 50%, the West is improving.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Are the Kraken the most improved of the Western Conference “bubble teams”? I can’t help but wonder if Utah or St Louis edge them out? SJ improved a hell of a lot but have so much ground to make up…

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
In terms of "definitely not a contender and have a ceiling to any real aspirations but can strive for playoffs to hold interest and develop youngsters and identify core contributors" then Kraken and Blues are in a similar spot.

I am not too worried about Utah; I will believe it when I see it and that's from someone who thinks Bill Armstrong was the single biggest off ice contributor to building the Blues Cup.

I think you have to think of it in terms of can you finish 4th in the division. 5th is a longshot for playoffs. 4th isn't a lock. But it's probable. Edmonton and probably Vancouver are tough. Anaheim and San Jose aren't tough.

So can you finish 2d out of 4 among Vegas, LA, Calgary? is the question IMO. With a strong start and overachievement you can.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
So can you finish 2d out of 4 among Vegas, LA, Calgary? is the question IMO. With a strong start and overachievement you can.
I dont know that I agree. I think in the other division Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado and Nashville are a lock, with Vancouver, Edmonton and LA looking a lock in the Pacific. So they're competing against Vegas, St Louis, Minnesota, and Utah for that 8th spot.

Edit: I realize I am completely discounting Calgary, who finished with the same points and a better goal differential than Seattle last year.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I dont know that I agree. I think in the other division Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado and Nashville are a lock, with Vancouver, Edmonton and LA looking a lock in the Pacific. So they're competing against Vegas, St Louis, Minnesota, and Utah for that 8th spot.

Edit: I realize I am completely discounting Calgary, who finished with the same points and a better goal differential than Seattle last year.
I think we agree if Seattle is 5th in the division the two wild cards are not going to be in the Pacific. Now it's possible the Central gobbles up both wild cards meaning only top 3 make playoffs in Pacific, but I think 4 and 4 is slightly more likely. I wouldn't sweat out which of Nashville or Winnipeg is going on streaks because the middling Central teams all go through swings and injuries and lulls every year before making their collective minds up if they have playoffs in them. I would just focus on outpacing Vegas, LA and Calgary. Pass all three and you're in, remain behind one of them and you have to see what happens in the Central

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I expect our offense to improve with Bylsma, Montour, and Stephenson, but I have concerns about goaltending (surprise!). Can Daccord replicate what he did last season? Can Gru continue to improve like every season and finally post an SV% above 0.900?

I am optimistic about this season and expect us to be more competitive and a bubble team. However, I need to see the product on the ice before I am confident enough to say we make the playoffs.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Kraken can't take too long to adjust to a new coach and his different approach to the game plan. If we intend to make the playoffs, we need a fast start. It's one of the things that worries me a little.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
The Kraken can't take too long to adjust to a new coach and his different approach to the game plan. If we intend to make the playoffs, we need a fast start. It's one of the things that worries me a little.
A start where the team doesn’t blow two goal leads in ten different games would be a nice reversal of last year’s.

Reactions: kihei

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Well, here's the first 10 games...

vsSTL
@MIN
@DAL
@NSH
vsPHI
vsCGY
vsCOL
vsWPG
vsCAR
@ MTL

6 of the first 10 at home, some other "bubble" teams in there like STL, MIN, NSH and CGY to get a feel how Seattle stacks up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad