Who is going to be a surprise in this year's Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He went on to have a pretty mediocre KHL career.

Ruined by Thrashers? Jets? KHL? We'll never know.
Going back to Russia gave him bad habits that he brought back to the NHL...Starting as an 18 year old 4C between Thorburn and Eric Boulton wouldn't have been the Jets way...they would have let him grow his game in the OHL. But his departure led to Adam Lowry's development as a center, which turned out to be a good move.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well reading some posts on this forum,
I'll be surprised if Elias Salomonsson and Lambert aren't top-4d or 2c this year given HF users expert postings.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'll be surprised if Elias Salomonsson and Lambert aren't top-4d or 2c this year given HF users expert postings.
Yup. And Ehlers will win the Hart trophy once everyone learns how to interpret data like the statsnerds do

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You have to like the confidence of these kids. Optimistically it would be nice to see a Jets player competing in Calder voting, it's been awhile.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
People are entitled to their opinions. Up to you to disagree respectfully vs the super non-condescending narrative your pushing up here.

This is a place to share in something everyone loves; choose respect vs ass-hattery!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yup. And Ehlers will win the Hart trophy once everyone learns how to interpret data like the statsnerds do
Still holding out hope that those numbers continue to hold up and we could get more out of each of Scheif, Connor and Ehlers by just shuffling around their spots in the lineup.

May be one thing that can help the team a lot that isn't hoping for a big trade to improve as a team. Totally within our control. And the previous decision maker has stepped aside to make room for a new one.

It's the new season and that brings optimism for everyone

Reactions: Jack7222

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
My surprise prediction.
Jets sign 36 old vet in Phil Kessel to PTO Hoping a wildly vet with Limited playing time can boost up their PP
Doesn’t make he Jets team.
Phil the Thrill Kessel fails the pre camp physical
before he gets on the ice

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
People are entitled to their opinions. Up to you to disagree respectfully vs the super non-condescending narrative your pushing up here.

This is a place to share in something everyone loves; choose respect vs ass-hattery!
Lot's of strawmen over and over from the same posters

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Really hope Heinola finally plays like most hoped, more than anything this team needs some puck moving defenseman and another defenseman that can add some offense instead of only Morrissey .
Pionk generates offense too. But he's been tied to Lowry's shutdown line for a few years now. So it's not necessarily productive offense.

I'd like to see Heinola be able to be the d-man who generates offense behind the 2nd line which could include Lambert and Ehlers. High octane.

And get legit PP time, to boost special teams production.

After watching game 1 of the Young Stars I'd like to see Torgersson develop into the replacement for Iafallo this season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Pionk generates offense too. But he's been tied to Lowry's shutdown line for a few years now. So it's not necessarily productive offense.

I'd like to see Heinola be able to be the d-man who generates offense behind the 2nd line which could include Lambert and Ehlers. High octane.

After watching game 1 of the Young Stars I'd like to see Torgersson develop into the replacement for Iafallo this season.
Morrissey, DeMelo
Heinola, Samberg
Miller, Pionk
Heinola and Samberg both taking another step, Heinola a big step, would be a pretty decent defense, here is hoping.

Reactions: Buffdog

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Morrissey, DeMelo
Heinola, Samberg
Miller, Pionk
Heinola and Samberg both taking another step, Heinola a big step, would be a pretty decent defense, here is hoping.
Doubt they go 2 lefties and 2 righties. I will be happy if Heinola can establish himself with some sheltered usage along side Miller on the bottom pairing. Also we need Samberg to take hold on the 2nd pairing and I don’t think you want to do that with him on his offside.

Reactions: Razzle71

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I wouldn't say Pionk has been stapled to Lowry's line - he actually played more mins with the Scheif than shutdown. Unfortunately Pionk with the top line is a defensive tire fire...

Im still hoping for Miller or Samberg on our power play - the team needs a heavy shot from the blue line.

Illegal Curve was talking about how we don't have to worry about forward prospects but we are thin on D (wonder why...) - but after Lambert, I'm not sure I saw anyone ready for the NHL

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Yeah, for the other team :laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I wouldn't say Pionk has been stapled to Lowry's line - he actually played more mins with the Scheif than shutdown. Unfortunately Pionk with the top line is a defensive tire fire...

Im still hoping for Miller or Samberg on our power play - the team needs a heavy shot from the blue line.

Illegal Curve was talking about how we don't have to worry about forward prospects but we are thin on D (wonder why...) - but after Lambert, I'm not sure I saw anyone ready for the NHL
I don't have sufficient data to debate the first statement but the top 2 d-men in d-zone starts last were Dillon, followed by Pionk...Morrissey, the former shutdown d-man had the least, as it seems like he gets a lot of offensive zone draws to try to generate offense. Logically that comes with the top 2 lines.

I still think Pionk is a better player than people call him out to be, he's good at getting the zone entries and clears. Defensively I think he breaks down, so I could see how playing with the top line isn't always favourable.

A strong TC from Heinola, where he could play on the same pairing as Josh, and have De Melo play more of a shutdown role, would be an interesting change to the team dynamic.
If you get left with Stanley-Pionk as a 3rd pairing, well that does seem dangerously bad, but one of Pionk's best years was with a flat footed Forbort, so I guess wait and see how it plays out.

Not sure I agree with the shot part, these d-men who can put ankle breakers holding the line, are a new form of attack. Let your best skaters skate, get moving, and so does the box. But I do appreciate a good zinger from the point. Be interesting to see who has the heavier shot, Stanley or Miller.

Luckily if the prospects, other than Lambert aren't ready, there are about 4/5 guys in Anderson-Dolan, Jonsson-Fjalby, Toninato, Mason Shaw, and maybe Parker Ford, who are, this year. Which leaves another year for prospects to get bigger, faster, stronger...what development is all about.

Chibrikov and Torgersson have NHL potential, in different roles. You do expect the more mature players to stand out in a rookie tourney, ages 18-25, the younger ones who do, are a cut above the rest.

Frej in this tourney might have changed some perspectives about the defense. The right side of the defense for the Moose will be better than last year with Salomonsson and Coughlan. Lundmark is probably ready for an injury callup. Bauer I'd kind of like to see play forward at some point, just to have that mean streak out there.

With the futures of Ehlers and Connor uncertain, I think drafting forwards is important, because the star power won't come through free agency. Developing players like Lambert, Yager and Barlow the right way are crucial to the team's success.

I think most would agree that the defense needs more talent, but you can only get so far with 4-5 picks per draft, so we'll see how Chevy plays his cards.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Doubt they go 2 lefties and 2 righties. I will be happy if Heinola can establish himself with some sheltered usage along side Miller on the bottom pairing. Also we need Samberg to take hold on the 2nd pairing and I don’t think you want to do that with him on his offside.
Ya i wasn't really thinking about which way they shoot i was more saying it would be nice if Heinola and Samberg both play well enough that they become our 2nd and 3rd best defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad