Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yzerman right now is Benning-lite with better marketing, giving excessive money to third liners instead of fourth liners.

He got fewer core pieces than Vancouver because their scouts unnearthed nothing during their terrible years, now they're stuck in a muddy middle because of these bloated contracts to middling players.
I’ve been beating the Yzerman is a fraud drum for over a year and nothing has changed my mind

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I don't understand why they don't try to move Poolman.

It's clear a lot of teams won't be using up their cap space, and assuming the contract is insured it shouldn't take much more than a late pick to move him. That $3m or so of cap space turns into $9m at the deadline.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
People love to say this about Yzerman but never have a specific answer for how they could have done better. He inherited a bunch of bad contracts and busts when he took over in 2019, and there are no elite forwards drafted near Detroits picks that they missed. They got screwed by the lottery in their tank years and did the best with what they ended up with. If they get one of Byfield or Stutzle like they should have in 2020 their franchise outlook is tremendously different right now.

Up until 2023. His single biggest mistake in the rebuild was ending the tank right before the 2023 season and a draft class packed with elite talent. He desperately needed to tank one more year and pull one of the four 1C's at the top of the draft but he didn't. But all of the criticism is that Detroit should be better now, not that they should have tanked longer, and that they should have franchise talent by now as if that's the GM's fault when there isn't any that was picked anywhere near their draft slots.
just a few on the top of my head

Don’t sign Holl or Chiarot, use those cap more wisely

Compher is not a good option for 2C

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

It's clear a lot of teams won't be using up their cap space, and assuming the contract is insured it shouldn't take much more than a late pick to move him. That $3m or so of cap space turns into $9m at the deadline.

Perhaps they still intend to. There's still over 3 months of off-season remaining.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
His body of work is pretty neat in Tampa.

Mostly his amateur scouting team has failed him in Detroit.

GMs dont amateur scout. They GM.
I didn't mention amateur scouting at all. I talked about the fat contracts he handed out to middling players.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Re: Yzerman

That 9-2 loss to Arizona and getting booed off home ice may have completely broken their rebuild.

Up until then Yzerman was taking the slow scorched earth approach and hoarding picks.

But he and the organization were embarrassed by that game and overreacted; that summer they signed Copp, Chiarot, Perron, Kubalik, Maatta, Husso and the next summer was Holl, Compher, etc.

Not all the signings were terrible or didn't work out, and it's not a bad idea to insulate the rebuild with quality veterans, but they went way overboard and signed middling veterans in an attempt to accelerate the rebuild which like never works (sound familiar?).

Reactions: Bleach Clean

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Assume the cost is too high and they don’t want to move more futures. They tried to move him for the better part of last year. They are thinking of making a trade, but sounds like that’s more targeting other teams looking to ditch salary.

Otherwise think they hold him, put him on LTIR as late as possible to maximize cap space, and let the contract roll off.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Re: Yzerman

That 9-2 loss to Arizona and getting booed off home ice may have completely broken their rebuild.

Up until then Yzerman was taking the slow scorched earth approach and hoarding picks.

But he and the organization were embarrassed by that game and overreacted; that summer they signed Copp, Chiarot, Perron, Kubalik, Maatta, Husso and the next summer was Holl, Compher, etc.

Not all the signings were terrible or didn't work out, and it's not a bad idea to insulate the rebuild with quality veterans, but they went way overboard and signed middling veterans in an attempt to accelerate the rebuild which like never works (sound familiar?).

The problem is that they rebuilt but didn't get any luck with drafting elite talent, and the rebuild just kept stretching on and on. If they'd won a couple of draft lotteries we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
The problem is that they rebuilt but didn't get any luck with drafting elite talent, and the rebuild just kept stretching on and on. If they'd won a couple of draft lotteries we wouldn't be having this discussion.
the year they lost the draft lottery was possibly a blessing. Not sure Lafrenier would have worked out any better than Raymond has.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Faber for Fiala

Holy f*** Rob Blake is terrible
That one seems more like bad luck to me. Faber looked like a good but not spectacular prospect prior to the trade. Fiala meanwhile looked like a guy with another level offensively thst had been stifled due to systems and teammates in Minny.

Fiala hasn't taken that next step (and how could he playing in Las system), and Faber's trajectory skyrocketed.

Looks way worse in hindsight imo.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Well it's still early, they have lots of high 1st rounders from the last 3-4 drafts still coming (Edvinsson, ASP, Danielsson, Kasper).

The bad signings and no top-3 picks have definitely prolonged things but it's still salvageable. Just might take a bit longer than Wings fans may have hoped.

Reactions: Nick Lang

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Assume the cost is too high and they don’t want to move more futures. They tried to move him for the better part of last year. They are thinking of making a trade, but sounds like that’s more targeting other teams looking to ditch salary.

Otherwise think they hold him, put him on LTIR as late as possible to maximize cap space, and let the contract roll off.

Assuming the team that trades for him can just put him on LTIR and have insurance pay out his money, I can't imagine the cost is too high for 2.5M x 1... maybe a deferred 3rd?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They did. They finished with 39 points in 2020 and were dead last by a mile. Then they got completely, unbelievably screwed by the lottery, which is why I said if they got one of Stutzle or Byfield like they deserved then their franchise outlook would be completely different right now.

They should have tanked one more year and that's the real fundamental flaw but that's never the criticism.
I think the criticism is definitely not going scorch earth and also overpaying a bunch of middling players that gets the team stuck in the mushy zone

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
A few decent depth LD options were signed recently in Mahura and Fleury, guys that could have easily competed with Forbort for the 3LD spot.

We still need another player for that role, so I'm wondering if management is targeting a bigger fish via trade.

Started looking around at LD that may be on the market. Came up with the following names.

Mario Ferraro | 2y/3.25m
Nick Leddy | 2y/4.0m | Full NTC
Marcus Pettersson | 1y/4.025m | 8-NTC
Mattias Samulesson | 6y/4.25m
Ivan Provorov | 1y/4.725m
Michael Matheson | 2y/4.875m | 8-NTC
Samuel Girard | 3y/5.0m | 9-NTC
Travis Sanheim | 7y/6.25m | Full NTC
Torey Krug | 3y/6.5m | Full NTC

For all intents and purposes Canucks have about 3.8m in LTIR space to add someone.

I looked around too and I don't know how many of these guys are actually viable for one reason or another:
- they aren't good, at least relative to their cap-hit
- their cap-hit is just too high in general
- their teams have no interest in trading them, or it would cost way too much, or blocked by NTC
- they don't fit what I think our organization would be looking for

Honestly, Matheson is the only guy to me that kind of fits. Cap isn't too high and cost to acquire probably isn't egregious either, given he's likely not in Montreal's long term plans.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Started looking around at LD that may be on the market. Came up with the following names.

Mario Ferraro | 2y/3.25m
Nick Leddy | 2y/4.0m | Full NTC
Marcus Pettersson | 1y/4.025m | 8-NTC
Mattias Samulesson | 6y/4.25m
Ivan Provorov | 1y/4.725m
Michael Matheson | 2y/4.875m | 8-NTC
Samuel Girard | 3y/5.0m | 9-NTC
Travis Sanheim | 7y/6.25m | Full NTC
Torey Krug | 3y/6.5m | Full NTC

For all intents and purposes Canucks have about 3.8m in LTIR space to add someone.
Probably Marcus Petterson with retention close to TDL or just throw Poolman over for cap balance.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Once we sign Silov I'd rather head into the season with what we have right now and wait for the right opportunity to show up.

I think this is likely, barring something falling in their lap they can't turn down. It allows them to accrue cap space during the season, and make a Zadorov-type move later. They also appear to have a higher opinion of Forbort and Desharnais than the fans.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think this is likely, barring something falling in their lap they can't turn down. It allows them to accrue cap space during the season, and make a Zadorov-type move later. They also appear to have a higher opinion of Forbort and Desharnais than the fans.
I wonder whether the reason they haven't yet signed Silovs is that in fact what he's asking for would force them back into using ltir. Otherwise, I don't see why the deal isn't already done.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Apparently, this is a conversation going on behind the scenes right now, per Drance.

Reactions: Lindgren

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wonder whether the reason they haven't yet signed Silovs is that in fact what he's asking for would force them back into using ltir. Otherwise, I don't see why the deal isn't already done.

They can sign him and remain under LTIR heading into the season since they're carrying a full roster. Really the only way they put Poolman on LTIR is if they find a UFA or a trade that would take them over. As it stands, they can enter the season under with Silovs at ~$1M pretty easily.

Reactions: Vector

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Probably Marcus Petterson with retention close to TDL or just throw Poolman over for cap balance.

I like Pettersson as the best fit. Particularly because he's a PK fit and he's a taller player (a preference for them).

Outside shots to Shea Theodore and Adam Larsson, who are set to be UFA after this season.

On Canucks Talk they were talking about the Zadorov bet the team is making. Essentially, they probably could have re-signed Zadorov and a league min~ 6RHD. Instead, they signed Forbort, Desharnais and have 3.8m~ in cap. If they misuse that cap, then re-signing Zadorov would have been a better bet. Getting Pettersson and Desharnais surpasses the utility of Zadorov imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad