Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
24-25 schedule is out

GRfoENKXUAAiMwS
GRfoENvb0AEzAnv
They released a video with all skate colors… interesting

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m OK with the signings. The big game was gone before July 1 so plans B and C were executed. Februar seems a bit much but I have a gut feeling it’s going to look like a great deal a year from now.

They added some talent and addressed some grit up front. Very little to complain about from my point of view.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i really like the olofsson signing for vegas. he could have been a good bet for vancouver (altho they already need to lose a forward)

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
24-25 schedule is out

GRfoENKXUAAiMwS
GRfoENvb0AEzAnv

Few thoughts:

-You have Vancouver at home for 7 games, but opt to break it up to go to Calgary on a B2B. Stupid.
-Vancouver being forced to fly back from California to play the Leafs and then being forced to go back to Vegas. Stupid.
-Ending the season again in mid-late April again. Stupid. Yay for the finals ending again in Late June.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If the Canucks did this over one of Desharnais or Forbort yesterday I would've given them an A overall for their free agent signings given what was available. Very good upside bet for Colorado.

Agreed. Even if they circled back later to grab Forbort or Desharnais as the final add, just getting some mobility and breakout ability later in the lineup would have been a relief.

Add Kylington and all is forgiven.

i really like the olofsson signing for vegas. he could have been a good bet for vancouver (altho they already need to lose a forward)

OIofsson is a complete passenger who is just a complete non-factor 5 on 5. This is a guy you have to hide at evens and then strap to the powerplay to get any value.

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Few thoughts:

-You have Vancouver at home for 7 games, but opt to break it up to go to Calgary on a B2B. Stupid.
-Vancouver being forced to fly back from California to play the Leafs and then being forced to go back to Vegas. Stupid.
-Ending the season again in mid-late April again. Stupid. Yay for the finals ending again in Late June.

Check the dates there. The game in Vegas is 2 weeks after the home game vs Toronto. Four Nations Cup.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Olofsson makes sense for Vegas. They have enough top end talent up front and on defence that they can afford to have a passenger who can put the puck in the net at a high rate.

Good deal for Brannstrom for Colorado. Guy has some pretty big warts but he should do better on a team with more structure.

Reactions: timw33

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Juulsen's the one on the two-way, so I wouldn't be surprised if Friedman stays as the #8 and they do that instead.

It would be pretty solid depth if they somehow manage to squeeze in Forbort as the #7 and Juulsen as the #9 in the AHL, while picking up a puck-mover to play with Desharnais, but seems unlikely.

Oh, yeah I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I felt they thought Juulsen was the preferred choice out of the two but one of the two obviously go down. I think they may not do it so much to make Forbort #7 but to give more versatility and a PMD option for some games, but also to rest a 32 year old with previous injury history.

I don't understand how anyone can rationalize the Nucks July 1 as good in any way.

Ok? Passable? Understandable given circumstances? Sure. But not good.

They clearly had their money allocated for Guentzel. But that went out the window when Tbay traded for his rights.

I'm fine with DeBrusk. I don't like the term but I get that they had to do it to keep the AAV as low as possible. But I would have expected more upfront if they were allocating say $9.5M for Guentzel and turn that into DeBrusk ($5.5M) and Arvidsson ($4M). Team needs actual goal scorers. This was evident in the playoffs. DeBrusk is more of a "puts in a shift and goes to the right areas" rather than a pure scorer.

So from that perspective, they still need another goal scoring winger in the Top 6.

On defense, they have gone backwards. No way you can have an older Myers in your Top 4 no matter how he played last year. They need another Top 4 dman and preferably RHD.

I assume they had interest in Tanev, but much like the TDL, the price did not make sense. So they pivoted and went for depth instead.

But the backend is not good. People can state the Oilers backend sucks but they have the horses upfront to compensate for it. Nucks don't, especially if Demko continues to be plagued by injuries.

People state we can make trades. What are we trading exactly to acquire what this team needs? Willander and Lekk aren't going anywhere. Can't see them trading their 2025 1st right now either. So you have Hoglander, Pod and maybe Garland. Hoglander's contract makes him more valuable to the Nucks than other teams, Pod won't have much value at all and removing Garland creates a further hole upfront.

So I just don't see it.

And then the comments of "we will just pick up a player at the TDL"? Jesus. That's literally 8-9 months away. You cannot expect this team to play the way they did to start last season. What if they play the way they did in the 2nd half? You're screwed.

So as much as it was fine to do what they did to focus on depth after the Guentzel option disappeared, this team still needs more quality. Right now they have focused on quantity over quality and that will only get you so far.

Team is still a playoff team but they aren't close to contenders atm.

Anyone who has been around the block realized we had little chance at Guentzel or Reinhart, unless they wanted to come. We did the best that could be expected short of a Tofolli/Zadorov and 5 minimum wage players nightmare some inexperienced folks wanted. Most of us knew this is what it would look like, but the players we did get scream competency and fit for our system.

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Zadorov-Cole

Looks damn more Solid then this now.

It's also $4.5 mil more money than we have. :huh:

There are some decent Left-handed, cheap, PMDs out there. Maybe that is still their plan.

Yup, that I could see ... as I mentioned above I think a platoon with Forbort could be effective but one of Juulsen or Friedman would be exposed to waivers. Not the end of the world.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Classic Colorado move. He'll be more successful in their system as well.

Of course I mentioned Brannstrom repeatedly yesterday lol, then he's picked up on the cheap.

Canucks just seem to have no interest in these smaller, more offensively oriented guys with defensive warts. We haven't been even connected to any of them. Seems like it's something to do with Tocchet's system, according to Drance:

The Athletic said:
Vancouver’s blue-line group last season was exceptionally well constructed to prevent scoring chances from dangerous areas of the ice. The Canucks also leveraged their size advantage on the back end in the neutral zone expertly, as Vancouver’s defenders squeezed aggressively with imposing collective size at the defensive blue line, with Vancouver’s forwards herding puck carriers impossibly toward them by cheating strong side with a neutral zone wedge. Desharnais and Forbort both profile as players who should fit into this play style rather neatly.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Hughes and Hronek are a special case, look at the list of defensemen this management group has acquired. Friedman is the exception.
I think they like the big defenders who play mean (and can PK) because they want to make it as difficult as possible to get to and remain at the front of the net (where most goals are scored from).

Reactions: quat

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Leafs in Vancouver another 4pm start, league is a joke.
Pre and post xmas break at home, good for players.
Something's off, we are playing division rivals only 3 times?
Leafs 4pm start will be a thing forever. It makes financial sense and is always on a Saturday anyways. We just need to deal with it.

Reactions: Fraser28 and quat

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks just seem to have no interest in these smaller, more offensively oriented guys with defensive warts. We haven't been even connected to any of them. Seems like it's something to do with Tocchet's system, according to Drance:
I agree, they have a clear system and clear idea of the kinds of players that fit in that system. And it worked! Their defensive results last season were excellent.

But I think everyone can see they need some more mobility and offensive push from the back end. Their undoing was an inability to generate anything dangerous, with their primary method of chance generation being point shots hoping for tips/deflections. I still expect Allvin to address this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad