Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Friendly reminder, Mitch is not getting traded so don't bother wasting time with hypothetical trade scenarios. He will walk to UFA and like the true mercenary he is, will take the biggest deal he can get.

Mark my words, Mitchy will have a career year next year and he's gonna absolutely bank.

View attachment 892057
Is Marner really Michael Nylander’s illegitimate son………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sounds like typical Friedman bullshit.

“One player told me that there are some players that have kind of watched…”

This guy may be the worst insider out there at this point. Everything he says is pretty obvious. No one needs “one player” to tell them how this Marner fiasco might turn FAs from signing here. It’s obvious.

And yeah, if you’re going to come to the Mecca of hockey, demand an insane overpay of a salary and fail miserably for 6-7 years straight, you’ll be hearing it from the fans and media. We don’t want those loser players anyway.
I miss true sports journalist like Bob Mackenzie……….

Friedman needs to name names or stfu. Without proof nothing he says is relavent
1720124101861.jpeg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
To be fair the full piece says he thinks Marner is the more valuable player, but that the thinks Mitch would be the actual guy moved.
I’m the furthest thing from a Kessel fan, but both those guys were dumped by the Bruins because they’re both head cases, Kessel only fault was liking hot dogs too much……..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are we gonna sit here and say Marner was paid according to his current production?

He was paid with the expectation that he would continue to improve, and I'd argue he improved marginally. I see zero reason why he should make more than Nylander.

Nylander gets a kicker for Clutch play, scoring more goals and carrying the reanimated corpse of JT out there.

Nylander is better if winning is what you want.

• Haha
Reactions: BraveCanadian

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We are his hometown and favourite team, he isn’t uprooting his family for a million bucks a year and nobody is going to offer him north of 13 million times 7 (91 million) when we can extend here for 88 million.
Pittsburgh Penguins: “hold my beer.”

Burke hasn’t been let go anymore than any other executive in hockey. He actually resigned from Vancouver,

Completely delusional that you think your post represents anything that Elliott said. It’s actually the complete opposite. Players think this fanbase is a little bit unhinged for how we’ve behaved this offseason.
Yup, it’s the fan bases fault, idiotic……..

• Love
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yelling at clouds so early in the morning. LOL.

I've always said that most likely scenario is that Marner remains a Maple Leaf, does that make me a Marner fan boy?

Hint - the answer is no.

Re. Nylander, sure we can talk if you want to. Regular season I take Marner, playoffs I take Nylander. Marner's just been so bad the last 2 playoff series that it's impossible for to bet on him going forward but regular season when there's no pressure, he's still money in the bank.
1720124784043.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Notice how I used your name specifically after the comma which assigns that action to you and never referred to you in that sentence before that comma? I think the problem here is reading skills or more specifically lack there of.

WOW, seriously you are now claiming that you are calling him a dessert, why didn't you call him an apple pie or a pound cake? So we are to believe you when you say hey I use words and phrases that I dont understand their meaning and to complete your act, you call me "too sensitive", when your mode operandi is to flame people and then when you feel backed into a corner you flag them to the Mods to get an infraction against them. BTW since your knowledge is lacking, a cream puff is a colloquial homophobic slur for an exceptionally feminine gay man. A puff is British slang for a gay man. I'm not sure which is worse dishonesty or ignorance. I'm done with your dog and pony show.
You asked me to show you the lies, I showed them you and the word "creampuff" was nowhere to be found in that post. I can only assume that you're going on and on about that because you can't show me where I said these things. And now you're babbling about comma placement when you've completely ignored the subject was the lies you posted, who do you think you're fooling here?

Why do you want me to call him a pound cake? I told you I have referred to him (and not just him) as a cupcake, isn't that good enough for you?

I have almost never in all my years here flagged anyone to the Mods, this is just more lies from you and you talk about "honesty" and "integrity", maybe you should look up the word "irony".

I'm not familiar with British slang and if is makes you feel better to label me ignorant for that reason go right ahead. If you ever man up and admit that your post was a bunch of lies about things you claim I have said then get back to me. I don't hold grudges, start posting like an adult and we can talk.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Pittsburgh Penguins: “hold my beer.”

Yup, it’s the fan bases fault, idiotic……..
So you are disputing this. Players are lying?

You asked me to show you the lies, I showed them you and the word "creampuff" was nowhere to be found in that post. I can only assume that you're going on and on about that because you can't show me where I said these things. And now you're babbling about comma placement when you've completely ignored the subject was the lies you posted, who do you think you're fooling here?

Why do you want me to call him a pound cake? I told you I have referred to him (and not just him) as a cupcake, isn't that good enough for you?

I have almost never in all my years here flagged anyone to the Mods, this is just more lies from you and you talk about "honesty" and "integrity", maybe you should look up the word "irony".

I'm not familiar with British slang and if is makes you feel better to label me ignorant for that reason go right ahead. If you ever man up and admit that your post was a bunch of lies about things you claim I have said then get back to me. I don't hold grudges, start posting like an adult and we can talk.
All this when you just days ago attacked me with a homophobic slur.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
From Marners side it will be

"I got 10.9 and have clearly gotten better since that signing, I want a raise"

He's gotta face the reality that he wasn't worth that deal in the first place and he is not worth more than Nylander. His ego is too big so I don't see that happening. The regular season will be a lot more difficult without him, you gotta make the playoffs to win the cup, so his loss would be felt, but also using his cap space properly is probably worth more than keeping him at whatever his ridiculous ask is going to me.
Agree with everything here, especially the bolded.
Not surprising considering scoring in the first round of the playoffs is typically higher. Since the Leafs never make it past the first round, the opportunity for that stat to decrease is non existent.

As mentioned many times before, simply evaluating the number of points mean nothing. A lot of Marners points were accumulated in that shootout series in Tampa, where there were a couple of blowouts. He didn’t score a goal in back to back playoff series, that’s pathetic.

How many impactful playoff goals has he scored?
I don't know if I've ever seen a bigger disconnect between point totals and actual performance than Mitch Marner in the playoffs. If you never watched a game, you could look at the point totals and go hmm, that looks pretty good. But you watch him play in the most important games, you see a boy among men. That fact that people that supposedly watch him play keep posting stats and arguing that he's worth his cap hit just blows my mind.

All this when you just days ago attacked me with a homophobic slur.
I call BS. You guys should start a lying club or something, LOL.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's not "hate cult", the proper terminology is "cult of hate". It is only an hfboards thing and it has absolutely no influence on anything except itself, which is in the form of a massive circle jerk. Words matter.
Surely you've seen the Friedman article circulating around where a few FA's have apparently rejected Toronto due to the fans' "treatment" of Marner.

Now don't get me wrong I'm certain it's sensationalist garbage

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Surely you've seen the Friedman article circulating around where a few FA's have apparently rejected Toronto due to the fans' "treatment" of Marner.

Now don't get me wrong I'm certain it's sensationalist garbage

That’s not what Friedman said.

"It's funny because one player told me that there are some players who have kind of watched from outside, about what's gone on with this whole [Mitch] Marner thing over the last month or two and were like, 'I want no part of that. Like, I don't want any part of that...'

I think there were some players who were like, 'Nope. That's not going to be me.'"

I’m pretty sure it had more to do with the media frenzy, picking apart of Mitch Marner and calls for him to be traded rather than the fan side

And I don’t think it’s sensationalist at all. I think it’s a garauntee that players are aware of it and that it factored into discussions with at least some of the guys who were deciding where to play next year

Reactions: francis246

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He was out of shape after sitting for his contract dispute. Everyone knows this.
One of the original gifts from Dubas. An absolute cave to an out of shape Nylander for a half season of crappy hockey, in which he paid him for the entire season. Leaf fans shouldn't be telling their children the story of the bogeyman, it should be a story about Dubas.

Reactions: thewave and ACC1224

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Berube wants his players and team to be competitive, fast and heavy.

That was the headline. There is no way a massive Marner extension fits into this statement. How full of it are you Maple Leafs? We shall find out soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad