Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Holmberg's 82 game pace avg is 27 points. If he can improve at faceoffs, become a reliable PK guy, and increase his production to the 35-40 point range, as well as continue to improve defensively, he'll cement a spot with us for the future.... then Kampf is disposable, once Minten can take his place, or we find a temporary option. He's a 25 year old RFA, so this is kind of a make, or break year for him.... he moves forward like I've suggested, or he's going back to Europe. IMO, he really struggled in the playoffs for us as well.. He needs to change that too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is a lot to ask, no?
He did fairly well on the PK in limited time last year... give him more time and see.

Faceoffs is just practise...

Is it quite a bit to ask? Yes... but it's what he needs to do.

What do we expect out of our young guys next year?

Holmberg 12g 23q
Knies - 20 g - 25a
McMann - 20g - 10a
Robertson - 25g - 20a
Cowen - I'm not really sure..
Minten - Gain experience with the Marlies

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man did we screw the pooch on that forward acquisition

We waited to long and it's hard to see where we can aquire another one, I'm sure we can force Robertson and Dewar into new deals but we haven't left ourselves a lot of cap space either

It's like we're flying by the seat of our pants rather than had a calculated plan on our needs and the best ways to fill them at the cheapest cost

It's been a weird July that's for damn sure

Reactions: SprDaVE

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

We waited to long and it's hard to see where we can aquire another one, I'm sure we can force Robertson and Dewar into new deals but we haven't left ourselves a lot of cap space either

It's like we're flying by the seat of our pants rather than had a calculated plan on our needs and the best ways to fill them at the cheapest cost

Tre was too focused on his blue line

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Which was strange because whenever I was looking at our situation I thought the goaltending, top pair D and 3C looked like the priorities then you work your way down

We just seemed fixated and lacked a bit of imagination, it's not horrible but isn't ideal either

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Is the top 6 actually just set in stone? Everyone is lamenting the LW spot but is Domi going to play with Matthews?

Domi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner

That looks about as good as it can be. I maintain that it is the BOTTOM 6 that needs a serious overhaul starting with a legitimate 3rd line center.

McMann, Holmberg, Dewar can all fill their roles at a cheap cap hit this year. Dewar hopefully comes in around or under what McMann got, which leaves just over 6.5m to fill 3 spots if we assume Kampf, Jarnkrok and even Reaves are all traded. Lets assume Reaves is replaced with some as-yet-unsigned 4th line energy guy for like 800k..

McMann - ??? - ???
Dewar (1.2m) - Holmberg - ??? (800k)

That's 5.9m to trade / sign a new look bottom 6.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Holmberg's 82 game pace avg is 27 points. If he can improve at faceoffs, become a reliable PK guy, and increase his production to the 35-40 point range, as well as continue to improve defensively, he'll cement a spot with us for the future.... then Kampf is disposable, once Minten can take his place, or we find a temporary option. He's a 25 year old RFA, so this is kind of a make, or break year for him.... he moves forward like I've suggested, or he's going back to Europe. IMO, he really struggled in the playoffs for us as well.. He needs to change that too.

So all Holmerg has to do to become a 3rd line player is significantly improve every aspect of his game? Sounds like a big ask for a 25 year old.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
That last point is very true, but we also have to be realistic that he's super inexperienced in those scenarios. Hoping to see a step up in his consistency this year, with an assured roster spot, amd a coach who asks for more from him

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Holmberg - 20 to 30 points depending on usage
Knies - 20/20
McMann - 15-20 G
Robertson -Traded
Cowan - London
Minten - Marlies
Think Roberston stays, and Cowan makes the team until December and goes to the World Jrs, and back to London.

And rightfully so, team struggled mightily moving the puck from the backend. Tre didn't sign any free agents that's going to kill us in 2-3 years.

A lot of free agents got over paid due to the rising cap.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Think Roberston stays, and Cowan makes the team until December and goes to the World Jrs, and back to London.
If Cowan is a top 9 forward, which is what he would have to be for me to keep him until December, then, he's coming back to the Leafs, not London

And if he's there I'm not sure there's enough room for Robertson considering they've shown with their interest in Skinner that they're also looking for another top6/9 scorer.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I don’t really see it the same way.
A lot of money thrown around by all the teams July 1, we had a decent bit of cap space, but not as much as other teams so while we were gonna be a player we had limitations others may not. We also knew coming in we needed multiple D and that’s where the focus was placed.

Clearly they targeted Tanev early on and the got him. They also were in on Zadorov until he chose Boston, and in on Roy until he chose Washington. OEL was the next guy on their the list. So barring any other guys they targeted they got #1 and #4. Could be better but you can’t control guys choosing other teams.

Obviously they also wanted one of the better goalies available which they got.

Domi re-signing is good. Letting Bert walk is good. The forward group will need to be addressed via trade I assume. Tre already specifically said that they still see a lot of work to be done, so you have to assume that’s the forwards.

I think there clearly was a plan. Address the D first and goaltending. Remains to be seen if it was a good plan or not, but I don’t see the ‘flying by the seat of our pants’ sentiment personally.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Cowan is a top 9 forward, which is what he would have to be for me to keep him until December, then, he's coming back to the Leafs, not London

And if he's there I'm not sure there's enough room for Robertson considering they've shown with their interest in Skinner that they're also looking for another top6/9 scorer.
Keeping in mind that there isn't any top 6 scorer available in Free Agency at this point, and nobody who is really an upgrade on anyone we have in the top 9 either. It's basically Daniel Sprong, who likely wants more than we can afford anyway. Otherwise it's trades.. and we don't have much to trade for a top 9 upgrade, and there isn't likely many people selling at this time of year anyway.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Such a big disappointment that we weren’t able to get Lindholm here.

Perfect 2C to bump Tavares down to 3C, as well as deprive out direct rival from bolstering their centre depth.

Would’ve killed 3 birds with one stone if Treliving had been able to work his Calgary connection and bring him over.

Lindholm and Roy were the 2 biggest missed opportunities for UFA’s for me. They would have shored up 2 glaring areas of weakness for us for years to come. :(

Holmberg did surprise me in the playoffs. He showed a bit of a nasty streak I hadn’t seen before.

If Berube can foster it and help make that a part of his game, I think Holmberg can go a long way towards solidifying his place in our roster.

Reactions: rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t really see it the same way.
A lot of money thrown around by all the teams July 1, we had a decent bit of cap space, but not as much as other teams so while we were gonna be a player we had limitations others may not. We also knew coming in we needed multiple D and that’s where the focus was placed.

Clearly they targeted Tanev early on and the got him. They also were in on Zadorov until he chose Boston, and in on Roy until he chose Washington. OEL was the next guy on their the list. So barring any other guys they targeted they got #1 and #4. Could be better but you can’t control guys choosing other teams.

Obviously they also wanted one of the better goalies available which they got.

Domi re-signing is good. Letting Bert walk is good. The forward group will need to be addressed via trade I assume. Tre already specifically said that they still see a lot of work to be done, so you have to assume that’s the forwards.

I think there clearly was a plan. Address the D first and goaltending. Remains to be seen if it was a good plan or not, but I don’t see the ‘flying by the seat of our pants’ sentiment personally.

I don't really think we needed to get another winger. We have more wingers than spots already. 8 roster spots, with the following competing. Domi, Nylander, Marner, Knies, McMann, Robertson, Jarnkrok, Grebyonkin, Dewar, Cowen, Reaves, Steeves.... that's 12 guys right there... Some will be on the Marlies of course... but we still have plenty of bodies.

If we needed anything, it was an upgrade on 3C. But here is the list of guys signed.

Realistically, the number of names, that would make us both better, and be affordable, is pretty small. Henrique wanted to stay in Edmonton, Trenin is a nice player, but not really a C is he? Amadio? :laugh: Heinen... sure... So, one guy who signed as a UFA.... that fits what we needed in terms of type of player, and cost....

Reactions: Sypher04

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Such a big disappointment that we weren’t able to get Lindholm here.

Perfect 2C to bump Tavares down to 3C, as well as deprive out direct rival from bolstering their centre depth.

Would’ve killed 3 birds with one stone if Treliving had been able to work his Calgary connection and bring him over.

Lindholm and Roy were the 2 biggest missed opportunities for UFA’s for me. They would have shored up 2 glaring areas of weakness for us for years to come. :(

Holmberg did surprise me in the playoffs. He showed a bit of a nasty streak I hadn’t seen before.

If Berube can foster it and help make that a part of his game, I think Holmberg can go a long way towards solidifying his place in our roster.

Lindholm at $7.75 mil? We couldn't afford that. That means no upgrades on D at all... none. Probably means we have Boosh and Gustafsson instead of OEL and Tanev.

If they are not trading Marner I don’t see how they improve. For me this is just a repeat of the last previous years. We know how this is going to play out. It’s insanity that the leafs keep doing the same thing over and over and are trying to sell to fans that this year will be different.
I'm not sure they are better trading Marner either... just different.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't really think we needed to get another winger. We have more wingers than spots already. 8 roster spots, with the following competing. Domi, Nylander, Marner, Knies, McMann, Robertson, Jarnkrok, Grebyonkin, Dewar, Cowen, Reaves, Steeves.... that's 12 guys right there... Some will be on the Marlies of course... but we still have plenty of bodies.

If we needed anything, it was an upgrade on 3C. But here is the list of guys signed.

Realistically, the number of names, that would make us both better, and be affordable, is pretty small. Henrique wanted to stay in Edmonton, Trenin is a nice player, but not really a C is he? Amadio? :laugh: Heinen... sure... So, one guy who signed as a UFA.... that fits what we needed in terms of type of player, and cost....
Gentle reminder:

We had Adam freakin’ Brooks and let him go for nothing!!!!

;)

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I've felt for a while that the Leafs should leave that Holmberg-Nylander combo together and try a left winger that isn't Calle Jarnkrok, maybe Knies for a chance of pace.

Domi - Matthews - ?
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Holmberg - Nylander
I would roll these lines with top line being
Domi - Matthews - Robertson

Give Robbie a real chance before we trade him

I've felt for a while that the Leafs should leave that Holmberg-Nylander combo together and try a left winger that isn't Calle Jarnkrok, maybe Knies for a chance of pace.

Domi - Matthews - ?
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Holmberg - Nylander
I would roll these lines with top line being
Domi - Matthews - Robertson

Give Robbie a real chance before we trade him

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
If they are not trading Marner I don’t see how they improve. For me this is just a repeat of the last previous years. We know how this is going to play out. It’s insanity that the leafs keep doing the same thing over and over and are trying to sell to fans that this year will be different.
All about the $$$$$$. Next year will be another waste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad