Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i would not object in the least were the management group to decide both hoglander and podkolzin just aren't long term fits

I think "the dream" would be for Podkolzin to actually take a significant step forward this year and demonstrate that he might be able to fill that ~15G "tweener" role that would make Hoglander even more expendable.

If Podkolzin can show that he's back on track to be a ~15G+ - 30-35Pts guy, he'd be doing it with far more size and at least a more credible belief that he could round into a more defensively relied-upon winger. If he can add a bit of PK work to the mix, that'd be huge. If Hoglander brought that combo of "extras" to his 15G - 35Pt sort of profile, he'd be fine to commit to. So i think if the much bigger Podkolzin can do that...he's someone you may actually look to keep beyond his current 2-year cheap deal.

I think people tend to forget because it seems like so long ago, back in the dark ages for the franchise...but Podkolzin already has at one point, demonstrated that he's capable of scoring at a solid 15G+ 30-35pt+ pace. So it's not that outlandish to think he could regain that at some point if he gets his mental game in check the way Hoggy did last year. But i think if he can become that player again and continue to round out his defensive game and PK ability to a + level, he's easily a guy that you feel better about committing to. Less of a "tweener" at that point, and more of a big versatile complementary player (as he was drafted to be).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i meant he's not even really worth his qualifying offer imo. not that people want to give him 5m
hogs’s qo will be like what 1.3?
I think it’s too early to say what he’s worth, he improved last season and he could also continue to improve.
Majority of the people here don’t think Hog is worth keeping at 3M but recognize at 1M he is providing surplus value.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I would trade Hoglander before the season starts while his value is highest, depending what shakes out with other team's RFAs and arbitration situations?

When's Necas arbitration? 👀 Would be funny, Canes shooting for Tkachuk, then Pettersson, then 4th OA and then settling for Hoglander and some draft picks.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Probably walk on all 4 (or trade in Hoglander's case).

Also that Suter projection is horrific. His resume/profile hasn't changed since he signed his deal here and he'd be looking at a contract similar to Heinen.

Yeah, but the cap isn't flat anymore. He could get a Warren Foegele type deal.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I would trade Hoglander before the season starts while his value is highest, depending what shakes out with other team's RFAs and arbitration situations?

When's Necas arbitration? 👀 Would be funny, Canes shooting for Tkachuk, then Pettersson, then 4th OA and then settling for Hoglander and some draft picks.

Hoglander for an arbitration situation could work, but they'd need to add significantly for Necas. Drury would be a more realistic target.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Hoglander for an arbitration situation could work, but they'd need to add significantly for Necas. Drury would be a more realistic target.
There's other RFA situations that I'd monitor that aren't arbitration. Necas is is a big domino though, whenever his case is between July 20 and August 4th does will probably trigger a bunch of other dominoes.

Be interesting if Jets play ball for an Ehlers trade... Though I can't see a guy doing his hardest to get out of Carolina wouldn't work just as hard to leave Winnipeg & the Jets have too much of that as it is.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As Marty Necas gets close to his arbitration hearing, it'll be interesting to see what the Hurricanes will do. Relations between this player and the front office are already bad enough, and a contentious arbitration hearing will hardly make things any better.

Wouldn't be a shock if he's dealt before his hearing, and it'll be up to his new team to get a deal done. Canucks have been linked to Necas since before the TDL, but looking at their cap situation I just can't how they'd fit him in.

And Hoglander likely wouldn't be enough to get it done. More draft picks would have to be sent the other way. And even then his salary might well break the bank.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, but the cap isn't flat anymore. He could get a Warren Foegele type deal.

Foegele has size and just put up better numbers than Suter ever has in a season.

Suter is small and slow and despite being a useful utility player (basically he’s what Markus Granlund was advertised as but wasn’t) he isn’t the sort of asset teams pay for.

Reactions: biturbo19

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Foegele has size and just put up better numbers than Suter ever has in a season.

Suter is small and slow and despite being a useful utility player (basically he’s what Markus Granlund was advertised as but wasn’t) he isn’t the sort of asset teams pay for.
Ya, it’s kind of like how little value Motte actually had.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I'm not seeing any conceivable way of clearing the cap space it would take for Necas at this point. Especially not with Hoglander @ $1.1M going back the other way as the main piece + picks.

We just...don't really have a lot of money left to move. There's Garland...but he's solid value for his deal right now, and a big part of what this team is built to do anyway. Anyone else on the sort of money it'd take is either a part of the core or just signed. I think that Necas thing is pretty much dead. For the time being at least.

I don't really know what a Hoggy for Drury swap would entirely accomplish for us either though. Drury being a Center is nice and all...but Hoglander is probably the more capable player when it comes to scoring from a depth role.

I'd probably do it, pending the cost and signing $$$ just because Centers are more valuable and i have reservations about Hoglander's future here beyond this season. But i doubt Carolina would straight up, and i wouldn't go adding.

But idk...unless it's just specifically about Carolina coveting Hoglander, i think i'd look elsewhere.

Just looking at still pending RFA negotiations...there are few out there that would obviously be super enticing from a Canucks POV, but i don't see why the other team would be interested in swapping for Hoglander.

More likely, i think it'd be a guy who is already signed, for Hoglander to help get a team out of some dollars. Like say...if Oshie were to waive out of Washington, with some retention it'd be an interesting 1-year gamble on a clutch Top-6 winger (if he can stay healthy). Or if you could somehow make Hoglander the centerpiece of a Shea Theodore deal.

That said...

CBJ Kent Johnson is a really fascinating RFA situation to me. Still unsigned and might be a rough negotiation process there. Seemed to take a noticeable step back last year and ended up kind of where Hoggy was the year before last, back in the minors a bit and everything. But he's got oodles of talent, prior production, a lot more size and a much more conventional skillset than Hoglander to potentially mesh better with someone like Pettersson/Miller. If the Jackets wanted to send him home to BC for the more proven recent production and contract in place with Hoglander...i'd make that gamble. Doubt they'd be interested...but i'd call and find out what might get them listening. They're clearly making changes there with the new regime taking over...and Hoglander is the type of guy who can be that tone-setting buzzsaw for them.

I think Johnson is a guy who has big upside in the right situation, and i think he's the sort of player who could probably learn an absolute ton from someone like JT Miller.

Probably just a pipe dream sort of swap though.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The thing I like about the idea of a Johnson/Hoglander swap is you can parlay his unwillingness to commit to CBJ to a longer term, low caphit deal, replacing the affordability Hoglander will lose next season over a longer window.

Essentially we need to outlast the highs of OEL buyout over the short term, which eats up any raise Hoglander might have coming to him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think we would have to add Garland to make the salaries work. Would be funny though to see them end with that when they shot for 4th OA lol.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
CBJ Kent Johnson is a really fascinating RFA situation to me. Still unsigned and might be a rough negotiation process there. Seemed to take a noticeable step back last year and ended up kind of where Hoggy was the year before last, back in the minors a bit and everything. But he's got oodles of talent, prior production, a lot more size and a much more conventional skillset than Hoglander to potentially mesh better with someone like Pettersson/Miller. If the Jackets wanted to send him home to BC for the more proven recent production and contract in place with Hoglander...i'd make that gamble. Doubt they'd be interested...but i'd call and find out what might get them listening. They're clearly making changes there with the new regime taking over...and Hoglander is the type of guy who can be that tone-setting buzzsaw for them.

I think Johnson is a guy who has big upside in the right situation, and i think he's the sort of player who could probably learn an absolute ton from someone like JT Miller.

Probably just a pipe dream sort of swap though.
Kent Johnson strikes me as the antithesis of a Tocchet player. he's heat wave butter soft, small and slow. maybe he gets stronger and less soft over the next couple years, but he's basically a (much) worse version of Kuzmenko.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Kent Johnson strikes me as the antithesis of a Tocchet player. he's heat wave butter soft, small and slow. maybe he gets stronger and less soft over the next couple years, but he's basically a (much) worse version of Kuzmenko.
For sure. Last thing you want to be referred to as is a "f*ing Kent".

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Expect Boqvist to put up some nice numbers in Florida next year.
You can’t just have one type of player as a coach if you expect to be a great coach. And we can’t be a great or even very good team if we can’t even sign certain young players based on their current play.

Like, look at JR’s acquisition of Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Quinton Byfield

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
hoglander at ~$2m short term is fine, but when better versions of the same player, like heinen, are already on the roster and/or clearly interested in playing here, there's no reason to give him any sort of premium to keep him. i'd keep hog at blueger money, even while agreeing with the comment that his stats will likely crater this season. not surprised though that some of the same people that were ready to give zadorov a blank cheque are losing their minds the opposite way over the same sample of poor play from hog.

boeser is a tough one. ihe deserves a raise in terms of salary, and that's fine, but the term they give him could be scary. an ideal contract imo would be like, 8x3, but there's no reason for him to take that. between his health and inconsistency, anything more than 4 or 5 years and i think we're accepting a boat anchor that will need to be bought out at some point. huberdeau feels like an apt comparison.
Yep.

Hoglander only should stay around if he takes another cheap deal. A competent GM can find cheap, equivalent-or-better players in UFA every summer (e.g. Heinen, Sherwood, Joshua).

With Boeser, you gotta be ruthless. I really like Boeser. But his next contract isn't going to deliver value. Thank him for the service and move on. Teams like Vegas, TB, and FLA know this.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If Boeser plays like he did last season and is scoring at a 30-40 goal pace, I don't see how they don't extend him. Debrusk is from the same draft and we gave Debrusk a 7 year deal with 3 years NMC then limited NTC. I get fans are scared of the past (and I belong in that camp and so is management right now), but 30+ goal scorers come at a price. If we don't pay it, someone else would. We'll then be searching for someone to score those 30+ goals (which we have been trying to do even now).
Debrusk is at $5.5M. On a long-term deal (which Boeser will want), Brock is looking at near $9M. He's probably not fulfilling $9M of value for most of those seasons, or even any at all.

Historically I've been one of the bigger Brock boosters here. But you just have to make the smart move at some point. The smart, ruthless, and winning organizations in the league know this.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

probably just a rando making up stuff up but whatever. would be too bad for the canes if true, Jets would have been their ideal trade partner.

Reactions: TruGr1t
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad