Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

None?

-Boeser has had one great season and all the one before that were, to put it mildly, disappointing. There's significant injury risk with him too
-I'm not even sure Hoglander is even on the team by training camp
-Suter is valuable because he's on a bargain contract. I suspect his next one will be bargain unless he has a good playoff run and gets a bump from that
-given the investment they made in Desharnais, Juulsen might not even get into enough games to justify a raise over his current contract

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I wouldn't discuss an early extension with Boeser at all. Worth being patient there and seeing what options emerge.

Panthers are Cup winners because they were ruthless with Huberdeau.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Probably walk on all 4 (or trade in Hoglander's case).

Also that Suter projection is horrific. His resume/profile hasn't changed since he signed his deal here and he'd be looking at a contract similar to Heinen.

Suter was the first one I looked at and thought "NFW". That'd be a Jim Benning special right there (overpaying for bottom of the roster guys).

I also think Hoglander is likely involved in a deal at some point before his current deal expires. He's the most logical trade trip we have to improve other areas.

Boeser, I think the team is correct to take the "wait and see" approach. Sure, it might result in him getting a heftier payday, but I'd at least like to see him in 30 goal/30 assist territory before committing that kind of money to him. If he can, I'd be happy to bring him back - he's one of the best human beings in hockey, he's developed a pretty solid two-way game, and he shows up in the post-season.

Juulsen I like a lot, and $1M probably isn't even a bad deal for him, but I think the writing is on the wall with regards to what the Canucks think about him by having him outside of the 6-man rotation again. I can see him pulling a Kyle Burroughs and looking for some security with a poorer team that needs help on the back end.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Hoglander: If we could extend him to that prior to the season, I would do it, because I suspect he's going to have another reasonably good season and cost us more than that.

Suter: That is an easy pass. I like Suter because he is cheap and can play up and down the line up, but at that contract, he loses his worth. We can sign another "Suter" like player, or a reclamation project, for much less than that. If he wants to run it back next year at a similar rate, sure, all for it, but I would look to let him walk before offering any type of significant raise or term.

Boeser: He is a bit of a tough one. Star wingers like Guentzel are coming in at around 9mil, where as 2nd line caliber wingers like DeBrusk are coming in at around 5.5mil, so putting Boeser somewhere in between them makes sense. At 8.62mil I would say this is a bit too close to the top end for me, I would like to see him at 8mil max., and that would be dependent on him putting up reasonable numbers next season (~35 goals and ~30-35 assists).

Juulsen: I would absolutely sign him to a 2 year deal at around 1mil per year. Why not? He's a very playable depth defenseman who happens to slot the more coveted side.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm a bit confused, Hoglander scores 24 ES goals last season. Why exactly do you guys want to walk away from him at 2.5m? That's tied withgguys like Aho, Keller and Boeser.

I get he wasn't great in his first playoffs, but he plays a style that should thrive there and I don't put a lot of stock into a young player's first post season. We spend a lot of time talking about guys providing excess production for their contract, and even at 2.5m that seems like a very good deal.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I was strongly advocating the Canucks re-signing him last season (if the price was right)...However, I have to agree with you, that whilst playing for Washington, he was indeed brutal.

Yeah, he had a very good opportunity and did not play well in his time there. 1 goal and 3 assists in 24 games for a smallish 5'11" 197 lb. dman isn't good, especially when he's supposed be a puck mover/offensive style player. Managed to be a -5 but pro-rated -15 would have been the worst of all their dmen. He was coming off injury and also unfortunately had to enter the NHL Player Assistance program briefly back in March.

Not a lot of positivity even from Caps fans about his play. Looks like it'll be Carlson, Matt Roy, and TVR on the right side and a $2 million dollar Bear on the bench again wasting "Cap" space. Didn't even play in the playoffs. That's two teams now that benched him when it counted and of course our team where we had one of the worst defensive performances in modern history with him playing a large share of games.

To me it's like advocating to bring back Dermott. Like he's a nice guy and seemed to try hard, had a little bit of skill, but he just simply isn't a hockey piece to build around in any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
All I know is that I hope Boeser continues his high level of play and takes a nice discount to stay with us because losing him is going to hurt like hell. Fingers crossed on this one.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm a bit confused, Hoglander scores 24 ES goals last season. Why exactly do you guys want to walk away from him at 2.5m? That's tied withgguys like Aho, Keller and Boeser.

I get he wasn't great in his first playoffs, but he plays a style that should thrive there and I don't put a lot of stock into a young player's first post season. We spend a lot of time talking about guys providing excess production for their contract, and even at 2.5m that seems like a very good deal.

I wouldn't walk away from him, 2.5m for what he brings is perfectly fine, I just don't think he's going to last the season on the roster.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Hoglander's numbers are going to crater this season. Tocchet still doesn't fully trust him and now has a whole bunch more two-way wingers he can play ahead of him. His shooting % will almost certainly regress.

This is very likely the height of Hoglander's value as an asset. Canucks should try and monetize. If not, ride out another cheap year and then don't qualify him.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

honestly. this fan base. Boeser finally has three seasons of relatively decent health and finally puts up 40 goals, Canucks fans: Meh, let's let him walk. And yea, Hoglander at 2.5; I expect and be happy with Hoglander to sign a bridge deal 3-4 years. I suspect these are the same ppl that thought letting Tanev walk was smrt.

• Love
Reactions: Chiripa20 and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hoglander: If we could extend him to that prior to the season, I would do it, because I suspect he's going to have another reasonably good season and cost us more than that.

Suter: That is an easy pass. I like Suter because he is cheap and can play up and down the line up, but at that contract, he loses his worth. We can sign another "Suter" like player, or a reclamation project, for much less than that. If he wants to run it back next year at a similar rate, sure, all for it, but I would look to let him walk before offering any type of significant raise or term.

Boeser: He is a bit of a tough one. Star wingers like Guentzel are coming in at around 9mil, where as 2nd line caliber wingers like DeBrusk are coming in at around 5.5mil, so putting Boeser somewhere in between them makes sense. At 8.62mil I would say this is a bit too close to the top end for me, I would like to see him at 8mil max., and that would be dependent on him putting up reasonable numbers next season (~35 goals and ~30-35 assists).

Juulsen: I would absolutely sign him to a 2 year deal at around 1mil per year. Why not? He's a very playable depth defenseman who happens to slot the more coveted side.

I don't think there's a rush on any of the players and that's from both sides. Boeser I think management has decided that they are going to wait and see how Boeser does. If it looks like he's going to repeat of what he did last season we're going to pay him.

Agree with your take on Suter. Who is paying him 4x$3.29M? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at around the same price for another 2 years but it's probably best to wait how he fits given the new additions.

Hoglander you either extend him for 2 years soon or you wait to see what he does this season. No issues paying him if he's a top 6 fit. If not, he can get another 2 year deal. No reason for Hoglander not to bet on himself unless the Canucks come back with a really great offer.

Juulsen is probably gone. I think the Myers and Descharnais signings are writings on the wall. Juulsen will play out this year. If he remains a nonregular he's going to want to seek greater opportunities elsewhere. If he proves to be a regular the Canucks can make a decision. I'll see if Woo can push Juulsen. Willander might arrive in a year or max 2.

I expect and be happy with Hoglander to sign a bridge deal 3-4 years.

Technically that wouldn't be a bridge deal. There are no bridges left. :sarcasm:

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
From the group, I can only see Boeser staying.

Like others have said, can’t see Hoglander sticking around if he wants a significant raise, there just isn’t much money to go around.

Suter - ya no thanks to that

Juulsen - done in my books since the playoffs for me

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Agree with your take on Suter. Who is paying him 4x$3.29M? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at around the same price for another 2 years but it's probably best to wait how he fits given the new additions.

Look at the Warren Foegele or Jordan Martinook contracts - Suter is very much comparable to those players and I could easily see a team giving him that.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Hoglander's numbers are going to crater this season. Tocchet still doesn't fully trust him and now has a whole bunch more two-way wingers he can play ahead of him. His shooting % will almost certainly regress.

This is very likely the height of Hoglander's value as an asset. Canucks should try and monetize. If not, ride out another cheap year and then don't qualify him.

Getting something of value for him, sure. Make the trade. Let him walk? I think that'd be terrible asset mgmt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad