Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Myers was serviceable all year and is perfectly fine playing under 20 mins with Soucy while Hughes and Hronek play silly minutes.

Yeah, I can't really stand Myers as a player and I think that contract has a decent chance of being a bummer, but Myers is fine so long as they have enough reasonable options around to be able to cut his minutes in-game when he's having one of those days where he starts being a silly goose and doing weird shit.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, I can't really stand Myers as a player and I think that contract has a decent chance of being a bummer, but Myers is fine so long as they have enough reasonable options around to be able to cut his minutes in-game when he's having one of those days where he starts being a silly goose and doing weird shit.

No clue why anyone is worried about Myers. Tocchet and Foote know how to use him, he was one of our PK leaders in the playoffs and has proven to be really physically resilient. Expect he’ll lead our PK on the back-end with Forbort this season and continue to average ~19 mins. Should be basically the same player as last year.

He was also clearly our third best puck mover last year after Hughes-Hronek.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
No clue why anyone is worried about Myers. Tocchet and Foote know how to use him, he was one of our PK leaders in the playoffs and has proven to be really physically resilient. Expect he’ll lead our PK on the back-end with Forbort this season and continue to average ~19 mins. Should be basically the same player as last year.

He was also clearly our third best puck mover last year after Hughes-Hronek.

He was still doing weird Myers stuff in the playoffs - albeit less - but wasn't getting burned on it. I don't think he's as strong as he showed in the playoffs, but hopefully he's also nowhere near as bad as he's shown before.

Reactions: biturbo19

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He was still doing weird Myers stuff in the playoffs - albeit less - but wasn't getting burned on it. I don't think he's as strong as he showed in the playoffs, but hopefully he's also nowhere near as bad as he's shown before.

I dunno, he’s been progressing since he’s worked with Tocchet and Foote. I never want to see Hughes-Myers again (he plays best with more stay-at-home types), but I don’t see any reason not to expect late-season, playoff Myers next season. He’s obviously a good fit in the system.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i was really hoping we would sign phillip myers. i had a plan. i'll run it now anyway in shorter form.

well heres a poke at you
you're gonna choke on it too
you're gonna lose that smile
because all the while

i can see for myers and myers
and myers and myers and myers

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
I Actually think the forward lines could look like this:

DeBrusk Miller Boeser

DeBrusk fits this line like a glove, giving it speed and direct North-South play with some extra scoring touch.

Joshua Petterson Garland

Pair up the best winger combo with Petey. Wasn't really tried last year.

Heinen Bluger Sherwood

Shutdown PITA to play against line.

Hoglander Suter Podkolzin

Depth scoring line with upside and some jam.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Hoglander Miller Boeser
DeBrusk Pettersson Garland
Joshua Blueger Heinen
Sherwood Suter Podkolzin

Pettersson can't have anymore excuses if he can't get going with those two. That said, Hoglander and DeBrusk need to be 30 goal wingers and Pettersson has to get back to 100 points to have any shot at a Cup. I think we're still a Crosby or top line player away though.

Reactions: quat

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Garth Snow, Felix Potvin, Braden Holtby, among others, who all had a short Canucks careerafter their glory days.

lol. I remember a couple of these vividly for the dumbest reasons.

Garth Snow because i think his brief tenure with the Canucks just happened to align with the old N64 Blades of Steel hockey game i had as a kid. :laugh:

Potvin because he was my goalie idol as a kid and it was so cool that he was coming to the Canucks! Only, not as much.

Holtby though...i often totally forget about that. Just sorta blurs into part of that bizarre long-running fallout to the Luongo-Schneider crisis for me.

just reaquire ethan bear and call it a day. has played with hughes before. drops hronek to second pairing to anchor his own. 3rd pairing could be a combination of forbort/friedman/dehernais/noah

Ew. No thanks. Hughes doesn't need to play with desperation filler like Bear anymore. Either leave him with Hronek, or find another quality partner for him to kick Hronek loose to a 2nd pairing.

where does myers play?

and hey whatever happened to wolanin? i liked him

It does feel like Wolanin just sorta got caught in the shuffle for cap reasons out of camp last year, when he should've made the team. And then forgotten about. Injured, recovering, getting things back together, etc. Which has basically been the story of his entire career i think. Can't ever really build any serious, sustained momentum toward a steady NHL gig, even though he's shown multiple times now that he's capable of it.

I believe the technical name for a Giraffe+Silly Goose hybrid is taxonomically, Cygnus Buccinator aka "Trumpeter Swan".

I Actually think the forward lines could look like this:

DeBrusk Miller Boeser

DeBrusk fits this line like a glove, giving it speed and direct North-South play with some extra scoring touch.

Joshua Petterson Garland

Pair up the best winger combo with Petey. Wasn't really tried last year.

Heinen Bluger Sherwood

Shutdown PITA to play against line.

Hoglander Suter Podkolzin

Depth scoring line with upside and some jam.

I kinda hate it. I just don't see the point of "wasting" our 11 million dollar man Pettersson between a pair of guys who are going to produce exactly the same whether it's him in the middle, or Teddy Bluegers. Let Petey earn his paycheque and run show on his own line.

For me, i'd probably try something more like:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Podkolzin-Petey-DeBrusk
Joshua-Bluegers-Garland
Hoggy-Suter-Sherwood

and hope that Podkolzin can take a big step back in the right direction. Otherwise maybe swap around Suter on the Miller line, drop Heinen with Pettersson, and plug Aman in the 4th line C spot. :dunno:

Two weeks before the season starts....Allvin, "Do we still have our 5th this year?"

He costs millions and does very little.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I would be perfectly happy to trade Boeser to an eastern team at the deadline if we haven't negotiated a friendly contract by then. Of course a lot will depend both on how he is doing, and how the Canucks are doing. But if he is having a decent year, and is looking for big bucks, getting a first a prospect and player on a decent salary would give us a ton of options. And this is what smart teams do, is let decent players go when they are about to decline. He will be 28 at the TDL.

Yes, at some point you can't just sign every player you like to a big money contract simply because you really like them and it's a feel good story. You have to make high return value moves at frequent intervals in order to sustain the health of the club.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

just reaquire ethan bear and call it a day. has played with hughes before. drops hronek to second pairing to anchor his own. 3rd pairing could be a combination of forbort/friedman/dehernais/noah

Ethan Bear. Yuck. What an awful hockey move that would be. He's brutal.

• Haha
Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Ethan Bear. Yuck. What an awful hockey move that would be. He's brutal.
at least he knows the system and has chemistry with hughes.

Yeah, big no to Kampf. Allvin got a slightly better version locked in at less term, for cheaper.

Also no issues with the current blueline to start the season. I do expect Allvin to find an upgrade at some point.
no giving out to firsts 2nds in 2026 and beyond.. they still need to keep it to keep upgrading their prospect pool.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

no giving out to firsts 2nds in 2026 and beyond.. they still need to keep it to keep upgrading their prospect pool.
I also really wouldn't mind a Bear redux, provided the trade cost is cheap.

I think all picks and prospects should be on the table, for the right piece. The contention window is right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It seems like it's taken the better part of a decade, but I think you can make the argument looking at the Canucks roster that finally, they don't have one really bad contract.

Oh sure you could quibble about the term on the contracts for Miller and DeBrusk; and obviously Pettersson's deal could end up being a little rich. But there isn't a really egregiously bad contract. Now that Kuzmenko and Mikheyev have departed, Allvin has 'corrected' his two biggest mistakes.

More importantly, they weren't tempted to shell out big money to retain Zadorov and Lindholm. And it was absolutely the right call. Zadorov at $5m for six years; and Lindholm at $7.75 for seven years would have been absolutely crippling contracts.

Under Benning it just seemed the Canucks were always carrying two or three albatross contracts that severely limited what they could do to improve the team. But barely two years into the new regime, they've finally 'right-sized' the team's payroll.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Yeah, I shouldn't say much as I'm likely over-critical. For me it's just a massive step backwards in the philosophy of being competitive. 2022-23 was not very fun. Prospects yeah but he's 27, tiny, and not very good at anything except maybe a first pass and zone exits. Just rubbish defensively though.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
It seems like it's taken the better part of a decade, but I think you can make the argument looking at the Canucks roster that finally, they don't have one really bad contract.

Oh sure you could quibble about the term on the contracts for Miller and DeBrusk; and obviously Pettersson's deal could end up being a little rich. But there isn't a really egregiously bad contract. Now that Kuzmenko and Mikheyev have departed, Allvin has 'corrected' his two biggest mistakes.

More importantly, they weren't tempted to shell out big money to retain Zadorov and Lindholm. And it was absolutely the right call. Zadorov at $5m for six years; and Lindholm at $7.75 for seven years would have been absolutely crippling contracts.

Under Benning it just seemed the Canucks were always carrying two or three albatross contracts that severely limited what they could do to improve the team. But barely two years into the new regime, they've finally 'right-sized' the team's payroll.
Kuzmenko's contract wasn't a disaster last off-season. Wait until 40 games into the season before making that declaration.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Kuzmenko's contract wasn't a disaster last off-season. Wait until 40 games into the season before making that declaration.
While I understand your point, I think Kuz's contract has to be put in the context of the team. It was a disaster...for the Canucks. Clearly they were not going to deploy him within the system that Tocchet is using. Having a $5M+ guy playing 12 minutes a game is completely bad for the roster and cap balance. Sure, you could argue that that is on management and coaching but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bad contract in this context.

Conversely, it will probably end up being an OK contract for Calgary. He will be given the space to do what he does best. The distinction, of course, is that the Canucks are winning under Tocchet's system and Calgary, to be polite, is not.

Reactions: wetcoast

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Nein Kampf

bxqal.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events