Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | No One Knows Anything

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He was a good soldier until Game 1 of the semifinals.

He then became the worst soldier I've ever seen in my life.

Some of that was dreadful luck, but man, I don’t think I’ve seen the same guy be victimized on so many plays in such a high stakes game in some time. Granted he was playing hurt, too.

But yeah - I think the good this season outweighed the bad. He’ll be a solid bottom pairing, PK, locker room leader type for someone this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We are the kid at the pet store that goes there everyday because they really want a certain puppy.

But parents say you have to wait till your birthday.

Only to watch as another kid walks out with the puppy the day before your birthday.
That's where cat people come from eh.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
I don’t think they’re the favourite per se, but they get 24 hours to convince him to not test the market. That’s a big advantage. I doubt they do the deal if he is locked down on a spot.

Surprised the Canucks wouldn’t match that price if he was their guy. A third is basically nothing relative to getting your impact player. Even if they have a leg up you would want to avoid him changing his mind between now and tomorrow morning.
I wonder if we did offer a 3rd but it was a 2027 3rd compared to a 2025 3rd.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Some of that was dreadful luck, but man, I don’t think I’ve seen the same guy be victimized on so many plays in such a high stakes game in some time. Granted he was playing hurt, too.

But yeah - I think the good this season outweighed the bad. He’ll be a solid bottom pairing, PK, locker room leader type for someone this year.
I swear I've never seen a defenseman have so many goals bounce off him into the net. I honestly considered having him as the net front presence on the pp when it was struggling to see if it would work in our favor.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I don’t think TB would trade for Guentzel’s rights if they were sure they were signing him. Trading for his rights this close to UFA is interesting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If I’m Vancouver and I get the chance to negotiate with Guentzel…

I’d point out that that he could win a cup with Tampa and be a contributor, or he could win a cup with Vancouver and be a legend.
Other than being in the tougher conference Vancouver has more hockey things pointing in the right direction for a SC run than TB.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I would be all over Boqvist for a cheap 1-year deal.
Totally agree...CBJ is a mess with player development, I think there is still a quality player in there that can be mined with the right coaching staff, which i think we currently have.

I have no idea what Columbus is doing anymore....such a mess of an organization.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Kypper said:

Deal wasn’t close as of now.

Sounds like Tampa was trying to get him on a “state tax free” discount.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Like I said yesterday - I don’t think Tampa clears out all that cap if they weren’t sure they were getting their man.

It’s not done until it’s done - but especially giving up a 3rd, this feels like a possible sign and trade.

1719765054369.png

Attachments

• 1719764950337.png
    1719764950337.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 1

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don’t think they’re the favourite per se, but they get 24 hours to convince him to not test the market. That’s a big advantage. I doubt they do the deal if he is locked down on a spot.

Surprised the Canucks wouldn’t match that price if he was their guy. A third is basically nothing relative to getting your impact player. Even if they have a leg up you would want to avoid him changing his mind between now and tomorrow morning.

Flipside is, they may know they're getting him so why waste the 3rd? :D

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
t
I don’t think TB would trade for Guentzel’s rights if they were sure they were signing him. Trading for his rights this close to UFA is interesting.
It’s a tough read. I can see Toronto giving up a 7th for Tanev’s rights because it’s a negligible cost to be first in line.
This tells me that Tampa probably doesn’t have a deal lined up yet for JG but is confident that they can sell him on Tampa and want cost certainty heading into tomorrow. Tampa is a desirable location and team so they are probably right.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Boy does it seem like Guentzel is gonna make a fortune with this contract. Even moreso, the amount of money it's likely going to take to convince him to choose us over Tampa Carolina being able to offer the 8th year was a huge edge and they couldn't come to terms at 8x8. Seems like he could hit 10 million if he wants.

Best case is he's a big fan of the coach and management. Probably wishful thinking that he really really wants to play in Canada.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’m getting the impression the front office may be underrating the demand and potential contracts for defensemen here.

They may fully understand the market but don't want to offer a player like Zad a 6x6 contract. As good as Zad was, he's been a good 3rd pairing D man his whole NHL career. He played great in the playoffs but he hasn't shown he can play at that level for 82 games plus the playoffs. We can't be paying our 3rd pairing D man 6 million, it'll leave bigger holes elsewhere.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Totally agree...CBJ is a mess with player development, I think there is still a quality player in there that can be mined with the right coaching staff, which i think we currently have.

I have no idea what Columbus is doing anymore....such a mess of an organization.
Agreed it's clear Columbus screwed up his development, but the buyout makes total sense for them - they have a logjam of contracts at D, and this is a 1/3rd buyout giving them a cap credit next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad