GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
The Stars will definitely not be lacking for depth this year on defense. By my count they have 10 guys who could play if the situation warrants it.

Sure, they didn't hit a homerun in free agency but overall, it's a very solid group with lots of experience and the new guys will bring an edge the team was lacking.

Miro Heiskanen
Esa Lindell
Thomas Harley
Liam Bichsel
Nils Lundkvist
Matt Dumba
Ilya Lyubushkin
Brendan Smith
Christian Kyrou
Alexander Petrovic

Reactions: Kipper 17

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Anyone actually watch lyubushkin? I know leafs fans didn’t love him . Seems pricey for zero offense.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm willing to keep an open mind. Matt Dumba brings a lot more mobility to the back end than Suter or Hakanpaa did. Hopefully this indicates Miro moving to his strong side too. I don't really care who Miro gets paired with. It was clear the Stars didn't trust Hakanpaa to stay healthy so he didn't get brought back. Not sure paying Lyubushkin 3.25M was the best decision though.

Opening Night 2023
Suter - Heiskanen
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
Hanley

Potential for 2024
Heiskanen - Lyubushkin (I stuck Lyubushkin here for now, cross your fingers he can match up against top 6 skaters)
Lindell - Dumba (this pair could get cratered in but I don't think Lindell-Lyubushkin is better... at least one guy here can skate)
Harley - Lundkvist (this pair had good underlying numbers last year when together for 190 mins... much better than Lindell-Lundkvist)
B. Smith (I could see him in place of Lundkvist)

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
Dallasman awfully quiet since this morning lol
I did say I wouldn't be on much. Busy day with my family.

Yeah, I don't know what happened but Nill didn't want to give out long term contracts to a few of the guys we wanted. 7 years for Roy wasn't happening and $8mill/year for Stamkos wasn't happening,

I wanted Desharnais and he would have been better than Dumba or Lybushshkin.

Not much was told me to after I heard we were in on Dumba and Lybushkin.

Also, at one point I was told we were signing Ian Cole. Fell apart. I was ok with that as he's won.

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Yeah, I don't know what happened but Nill didn't want to give out long term contracts to a few of the guys we wanted. 7 years for Roy wasn't happening and $8mill/year for Stamkos wasn't happening,

Also, at one point I was told we were signing Ian Cole. Fell apart. I was ok with that as he's won.
where are we on the having your source kick Nill in the balls plan?

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022

Who is picking up pavelski’s production? I still think a top 6 forward is needed. I get we are all excited about Bourque but that’s a lot to ask of him. Some guys may produce a little more than last year but not 67 points that Joe produced.

Anything in the trade market?

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
Who is picking up pavelski’s production? I still think a top 6 forward is needed. I get we are all excited about Bourque but that’s a lot to ask of him. Some guys may produce a little more than last year but not 67 points that Joe produced.

Anything in the trade market?
Three potential rookies on the team and a potential "sophomore" slump from Stankoven scares me.

I'm with you.

Hoping we are looking at Necas but that's a pipedream I have to think.

Also, I misspoke when I said management wants to win.

Ownership gave the directive to go after the big names.

I'm sure we tried but seeing what those three guys got, we backed off and, IMO, rightly so.

Reactions: roryjones

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
From Shapiro's new article:
It also seems unlikely that the Stars have another big move in the works. According to league sources, they seem content with their roster, and financially speaking, they don’t really have enough wiggle room to make a splash even if they wanted to.
He seems to be okay with the Dumba signing, and the scouts he has talked to like it as well but they view Lyubushkin as a worse version of Hakanpaa these days.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad