Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder if the Canucks don't actually plan to replace Joshua this off-season. They have three prime forward positions open (top-6 forward, 3rd line centre, and 3rd line winger). I do expect them to keep Blueger around. I wouldn't be shocked if they actually would rather allocate that money to the defence so Juulsen is bumped down to #7. Let Podkolzin, PDG, Aman, Karlsson, Bains, Sasson, and Raty fight it out for the remaining 5 spots.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I wonder if the Canucks don't actually plan to replace Joshua this off-season. They have three prime forward positions open (top-6 forward, 3rd line centre, and 3rd line winger). I do expect them to keep Blueger around. I wouldn't be shocked if they actually would rather allocate that money to the defence so Juulsen is bumped down to #7. Let Podkolzin, PDG, Aman, Karlsson, Bains, Sasson, and Raty fight it out for the remaining 5 spots.

This is the piece I struggle with a bit in all of the roster projections...I just can't see the Canucks just leaving this as - essentially - their 3rd and 4th lines. Fourth line maybe, but not the third as well.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I guess you have to give up to get. That dominant third line was such a weapon last year, but I think we have to accept it isn't coming back.

Still, to have Podz, PDG, Aman (an ok 4th line) and two of Karlsson, Bains, Sasson and Raty on the team is not a path towards long term success.

Maybe Podz jumps in with Blueger and Garland, and a 4th line of Karlsson, Aman and Sasson or something gets very little icetime?

If we land Guentzel, that'd be our biggest UFA signing since Messier.
It was weird, but I think Sundin was a pretty big get at the time.

Also, Messier can kick rocks.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
This is the piece I struggle with a bit in all of the roster projections...I just can't see the Canucks just leaving this as - essentially - their 3rd and 4th lines. Fourth line maybe, but not the third as well.

yeah i'm definitely not comfortable with the roster if the team doesn't add some bottom 6 players. even if the 3rd ends up suter, blueger and garland i think that's not really good enough

Reactions: David71

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I think we should go after Andersson from Calgary. It would hurt but it would set us up nicely. Not sure the price but I would be willing to offer some enticing pieces as long as they take Mikheyev as well.

I would consider including:
Hoglander
Boeser
EP (2)
2025 first
Raty
Podkolzin
Garland

My ideal would be:
Mikheyev, Hoglander, Raty and EP (D)
For
Andersson and a pick (mid round)

I think Raty is the sweetener for Mikheyev and it’s Hoglander and EP(D) for Andersson.

They are clearly rebuilding in cow town

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I’m assuming the thinking is they should be able to dig up at least one Blueger/Suter/Joshua type for cheap out of free agency, then worry about the fourth line later. Easy to pick up those pieces at the deadline if the kids don’t step up.

Other than Carolina, is there another potential contender with the cap space to add Guentzel that the Canucks are reasonably competing with?

Reactions: Vector

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
yeah i'm definitely not comfortable with the roster if the team doesn't add some bottom 6 players. even if the 3rd ends up suter, blueger and garland i think that's not really good enough
That’s two thirds of one of the best 3rd lines in the league this past year.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I’m assuming the thinking is they should be able to dig up at least one Blueger/Suter/Joshua type for cheap out of free agency, then worry about the fourth line later. Easy to pick up those pieces at the deadline if the kids don’t step up.

Other than Carolina, is there another potential contender with the cap space to add Guentzel that the Canucks are reasonably competing with?

I think the idea would be you have a 3rd line that is driven by Blueger & Garland with the 3rd piece being whoever can fit in. Whether that's Podkolzin, Bains, or someone else. They've talked a lot about requiring players from Abbotsford to make the jump and that it it has to happen this year. There's also guys like Jost and possibly Grundstorm (if not qualified) who can be had for cheap.

I honestly don't see a tonne of teams that would be reasonable suitors for Guentzel. Predators and Utah HC easily have the capspace and want to improve. Kraken and Red Wings might be able to compete with the same offer but would be less appealing destinations. Bruins have a need for scoring but seem focused on spending their cap space on Lindholm. Avalanche have space (18m in LTIR space) but have a lot of questions and roster spots. Rumour is the Blackhawks may offer a crazy number but that seems like a rocky proposition from both sides.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

On the one hand, I see the logic to it since we don't have a lot of spots available for any of our prospects to grab. At the same time, I don't like essentially gifting it to one of them. Hoglander and Podkolzin both wound up completely sputtering out when we last tried that. So penciling in them or anyone else from Abbotsford worries me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Beginning to look, that without some sort of salary cap gymnastics of Olympic proportions, most of the Canucks' UFA's won't be back.

If so, it's hard to see how this team doesn't take a bit of a step backward, least early in the season. I mean, unless the replacements from Abbotsford are a lot better than they looked last year in the AHL, then it's going to be a struggle.

I suppose there's a chance that once the free agent frenzy passes, that the Canucks can identify some 'value contracts' of guys who were overlooked. That's basically what they did last year with the likes of Blueger, Cole, Lafferty, DeSmith and Suter.

Could happen again.....but not likely.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
On the one hand, I see the logic to it since we don't have a lot of spots available for any of our prospects to grab. At the same time, I don't like essentially gifting it to one of them. Hoglander and Podkolzin both wound up completely sputtering out when we last tried that. So penciling in them or anyone else from Abbotsford worries me.

Podkolzin is making the team one-way or another. His contract practically guarantees that. I did follow up by thinking they will probably bring in guys like Tyson Jost and/or Carl Grundstorm (if unqualified). At a certain point these guys have to take a step. Sasson will be 24 before the season starts and Bains will be 24 in January. Raty will be 22 in November and starting his third professional season in North America. Karlsson is 25 in November.

Reactions: bossram

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This made me laugh he had no problem taking advantage of Canucks for his last deal.

The weird thing about that deal was it was quite a bit under what most people thought he was going to get. So when it was announced, I believe there was a medical thing or some snag that lower the AAV, the main reaction was "ugh...but better than what the rumours said".

Reactions: CanuckCity

Skirbs1110

Jul 7, 2022
Starting to wonder if Garland might get moved/replaced with someone else to save ~2ish Million to help with facilitate a couple of the signings.

Reactions: oceanchild

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Starting to wonder if Garland might get moved/replaced with someone else to save ~2ish Million to help with facilitate a couple of the signings.

I've wondered that myself. Would you rather have

Joshua - Blueger - RW or
LW - Blueger - Garland?

with the other winger being an inferior version of the former player on that line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad