Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I obviously have a big soft spot for Burroughs but I love that deal for SJ.

Grundstrom has averaged 14 goals/82 from 4th line minutes for his career and he's a guy I've though for a while would probably break out when someone actually gave him 14 minutes/game.

SJS continues to pick up nice veteran serviceable NHL players, it's a good move to hopefully keep them from being a 55 point team again.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This you ?

it was a bit of an overpayment, as FAs are, but other than ppl complaining it was the "wrong time", which we know now, it wasn't, it was a fine signing.
Yes. Absolutely hilarious that you cropped the last part of that same post where I said that signing Mikheyev is not part of a coherent plan and does not address the Canucks needs on the blueline, despite capping themselves out.

Of course, completely disingenuous from you. I will expect that in all conversations with you going forward.
Mikheyev is a very solid player. Very strong two-way impacts and will help the PK. Brings a lot of speed and forechecking help.

His lack of scoring is overblown. On an ES rate basis, he's as productive as Bo Horvat. He'll help the team and the contract is fair.

The issue is that this deal just reminds me of shades of Benning: What the heck is that actual plan here? They've capped themselves out and haven't added any futures, no 3C, and the blueline is still shambles.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Most were ok, or even happy with the signing at the time. He was everything the team desperately needed (speed, size, pk'ing ability coming after a horrific year for the team on the penalty kill) so the target made sense. That being said, in hindsight, the AAV was high. I have a suspicion that another team was offering a similar amount and we had to outbid someone but that's just my own theory. The injury was unfortunate and it was also a rare miss by the pro-scouting that the player was simply unable to play in the top 6.
Yeah, most people were very much onboard with the player....there was obviously some head scratching over how they would manage the cap...but even the folks now claiming they hated the target then were not saying it like that at the time. There was a lot of "I really like the player, but someone needs to get moved" etc....

He had to whittle the offers down to 8 teams and eventually selected us despite having higher offers from other teams. According to Mr Gold star....so WTF really knows.

Whether he would have been effective in the top 6 isn't really knowable due to the injury....which he is still not fully recovered from. Mikheyev generated 67 HD shots on net in 53 games with Toronto in 21/22. I think people underappreciate how hard it is to get in position to take those shots. Post injury Mikheyev simply isn't able to get to that area as frequently. Same situation for Pettersson this year with his knee injury. HD shots were (60) down 25% from last year and goals off those shots declined by 30%.

Anyway, it's all moot now. He's gone and so far the $$ is being allocated pretty efficiently IMO. I'm glad to see Joshua sticking around.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Sayonara (さようなら) Demko.

This is the way.

1719512736565.png

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I hear what you're saying, but hear me out too: they already had Chiarelli, so having Commando Dimbo as GM is really just Chiarelli with extra steps.
:thumbu:
True, having McDavid on a team and still accomplished so little is inhumane too. What a waste to such a great player.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Negotiating tactic or not, there seems to be a lot of teams in need of goaltending. If we bring back DeSmith, not only does that give us extra depth but also gives us a tradeable asset on a cheap contract we can use to flip for a rental later in the season if we need to.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
If they can sign guentzel....all in by TDL and get crosby

Gonna lose good assets but if it means cup, go for it baby :nod:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
SJS continues to pick up nice veteran serviceable NHL players, it's a good move to hopefully keep them from being a 55 point team again.

Yeah, there were a lot of just, non-NHL players on that team last year, and Walman/Goodrow/Dellandrea/Grundstrom aren't flashy but they're veteran guys who know how to play systems and defense. Just with those moves (and there will probably be more) they've probably lopped a half a goal against/game off last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad