Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's weird that there is so much Guentzel speculation (both here and across the NHL) and so little Reinhart speculation (again, both here and across the NHL) when Reinhart is younger, had a better season, and is a local kid as opposed to American. Like, it's actually kind of weird that Reinhart isn't the Plan A.

Interestingly, both of Sam Reinhart's brothers have now retired from hockey and a Linkedin search shows that both are living in Vancouver and working for Paul Reinhart's finance company (Vanhart). So he still has a ton of ties and family connections here and is about as local as it gets.
yes and now that he has a Cup you also wonder what is left to play for. Money is not gonna be the same issue for Sam as much as many others who look at the tax breaks and ways of stretching every career dollar.

The main issue would be the local distraction and pressure he would have to endure and how do we leverage any value from a guy that just scored the cup winning goal and had 67 for the year.

He would have to leave a lot on the table and then he plays the same role that Boeser does on the PP. Him being a guy that has some right shot C utility with Pettersson would be a great fit though.

Probably not a lot of smoke just because he's likely gonna re sign and everyone knows it

Reactions: Hodgy and MS

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
No, it wasn't. And my take then was the same as it is now.

In that offseason, Allvin had very limited cap space available - basically could only afford to make one significant addition. The team was very heavy on the wings already, and the biggest need was on the blueline. He chose to invest the majority of their cap space in Mikheyev, rather than the blueline (and Marino later becomes available, which IMO they should have jumped on). It was a poor decision then.

Leafs fans were always frustrated with Mikheyev's style of play (straight line, sprint down the wing). It doesn't mesh with more skilled, heady players. That's why he looked best with Kampf and Engvall. He's ideal on a third line. If you play him higher, you get frustrated with him. It was too much to invest in a pure third liner back then.

It looked bad and unnecessary the second it was inked and even worse in hindsight for the very obvious reasons you listed. Really, it's hard to believe that anyone would try to defend it. Although there was a good number of people here clamoring to re-sign Lindholm too. Some people just completely ignore the realities of the cap when armchairing their team.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Shouldn't that outlier conversion and shot generation spike signal a future regression? And if you look at the talent of the player, further outline that it was not sustainable.

It was a bad bet the moment it was signed and they unsurprisingly got burned by it.
The revisionist history here is comic gold. You're just using the benefit of hindsight to claim things that were certainly not being claimed at the time.

Might the shooting percentage have come down on its own? maybe. But the # of (HD) shots likely would have gone up a lot ....playing with elite distributors in an elevated roll. He got hurt and hasn't been the same since, so we'll never know.

He was a solid target at the time as his defensive game was outstanding, he was an elite penalty killer and his offensive game was on a steep upward trajectory.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Jeff Marek Show that didn't include Jeff Marek.

Summarized before the Joshua re-signing was announced.

Canucks:
-thought Myers contract would be reasonably simple but it's proven to be harder than everyone thought
-heard they re-engaged on Joshua but will have stiff competition
-trying to re-sign a bunch of their guys
-has been working on the Mikheyev trade for a couple of days
-thinks San Jose was the other team but Mikheyev was more interested in the Blackhawks

Jake Guentzel:
-thinks the Stars are lurking around Jake Guentzel
-growing momentum between him and the Hurricanes; really trying to get this done by the draft

Holland & Oilers:
-was expected
-met with the players and some staff yesterday and informed them that he didn't plan on coming back
-everyone knew he was leaving
-players really like him
-thinks the Oilers will look outside the organization for the nexy GM
-Oilers ended their GM search during the SCF
-will go through the draft and free agency without a GM
-preference is someone with experience

Stars:
-Stars are in a battle to keep Tanev but Maple Leafs are there in a very big way

Maple Leafs:
-tried to acquire Tanev and Zadorov last year
-Tanev is the guy Treliving likes the most
-trying to be very careful with term
-really want to address their blueline
-has kind of heard similar that Bertuzzi will be gone
-has heard they are really trying to re-sign Domi; ask is in the 4y/4m
-Domi really wants to stay in Toronto and they want to keep him
-expects Tavares to remain
-Marner's camp is perfectly happy to bet on himself

Jacob Trouba:
-has a partial NTC starting on July 1st
-Rangers have asked for his list; says that is normal procedure

Misc:
-cap will go up another 5% for next season
-everyone is expecting a big cap bump but no one is putting that to paper
-Canadian TV deal is up in two years
-game 7 had the best viewership, outside of the superbowl, of any sport since 2019

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Why do you think Guentzel is worth more??
ES production. Guentzel is elite at it and extremely consistent. Other than 3/10 seasons in his career, Reinhart is not. Reinhart is better at other things but we already have the personnel for an elite PP and EP can handle the defensive heavy lifting for his line, we need raw ES production more than anything.

If Reinhart's production drops down to what it was for 7/10 seasons in his career including 22-23 in FLA, that contract is going to really hurt. Whereas there's nothing to indicate Guentzel is going to drop off anytime soon.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
We all know that this good boy (Attila) really made the decision

1719510663950.png

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The revisionist history here is comic gold. You're just using the benefit of hindsight to claim things that were certainly not being claimed at the time.

Might the shooting percentage have come down on its own? maybe. But the # of (HD) shots likely would have gone up a lot ....playing with elite distributors in an elevated roll. He got hurt and hasn't been the same since, so we'll never know.

He was a solid target at the time as his defensive game was outstanding, he was an elite penalty killer and his offensive game was on a steep upward trajectory.

It's not revisionist when you don't want the player signed at the time.

I would say that it was always wishful thinking that even an increase in HD shots, which is debatable given that you're using a spike year as a baseline (illogical), would have lent to more scoring given his apparent (visual) lack of shooting talent.

He's a 3rd line talent before he gets hurt. His skating was fine at the end of the season, it just wasn't elite. His hands though.... they didn't change.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Most were ok, or even happy with the signing at the time. He was everything the team desperately needed (speed, size, pk'ing ability coming after a horrific year for the team on the penalty kill) so the target made sense. That being said, in hindsight, the AAV was high. I have a suspicion that another team was offering a similar amount and we had to outbid someone but that's just my own theory. The injury was unfortunate and it was also a rare miss by the pro-scouting that the player was simply unable to play in the top 6.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Great work on the Hronek, Joshua, Blueger deals, and on removing Mikheyev's cap hit.

We are still in a situation though that if we want Guentzel, Zad will have to take a hair cut in order for him to come back and for the D to be filled out.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
ES production. Guentzel is elite at it and extremely consistent. Other than 3/10 seasons in his career, Reinhart is not. Reinhart is better at other things but we already have the personnel for an elite PP and EP can handle the defensive heavy lifting for his line, we need raw ES production more than anything.

If Reinhart's production drops down to what it was for 7/10 seasons in his career including 22-23 in FLA, that contract is going to really hurt. Whereas there's nothing to indicate Guentzel is going to drop off anytime soon.

Great point. You've convinced me.

Would you regard at all the value of the other things Reinhart does as closing the gap? To me, it's a 'no', but to others it may be the case.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The Joshua signing makes me think that the Canucks don't expect to get Guentzel. There's too much competition from other good teams with plenty of cap space, and I don't think the Canucks can afford him if they also sign Zadorov.

I can't see them filling out the rest of the lineup with cheap contracts. (2 D and 2 forwards)

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I’m calling Zads for like $4.5 x6

I don’t know how they are doing this, but my guess in Zac’s is they call him and say, we want to win, do you? This is what we can allocate. Take it or leave it.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The Joshua signing makes me think that the Canucks don't expect to get Guentzel. There's too much competition from other good teams with plenty of cap space, and I don't think the Canucks can afford him if they also sign Zadorov.

I can't see them filling out the rest of the lineup with cheap contracts. (2 D and 2 forwards)
If they did that, (and I don't think it's a great idea), then perhaps they would have to try EP centering Joshua and Garland. Create another third line with Hoglander and two FA forwards, then run Podz, Blueger and PDG on the 4th.

We can't keep cheaping out on EP's wings.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If we strike out on Guentzel/Reinhart, I think we gotta look at a guy like Arvidsson for Pettersson's lineamate. Sneaky tenacious player capable of 30-30 season who could likely be had for under 5MM.

Then plow the rest of the cap into Zadorov and ideally Tanev/Roy, or barring that, Alex Carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad